Off Season How well do you know Georgia Tech Football

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Cool trivia questions!

Note: the correct spelling is Jimy Lincoln.

5) Didn't someone paint tiger paws on the outside wall of Bobby Dodd Stadium and/or on the road one year? I want to say it was in the 1980s but I could be making that up in my head.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
The 1971 Tech-Ugag game had several controversies in addition to the "chain breaking - 1st down."

Brad Bourne picked up a loose ball off a Ugag runner's chest & scored. Nope. No TD. Defense couldn't advance a fumble then.

Andy Johnson is driving Ugag down the field late in the 4th quarter, Ugag is out of time outs & suddenly Dooley gets a 4th Time out that even Lewis Grizzard couldn't figure out.

And Jimmy Poulos still hasn't crossed the goal line after being met at the GT1 as time expired.

Other than that, nothing happened.

As for Carson, he'd been an assistant for about 5 or 6 years at UNCheats, then was at USCe for a couple of years before Dodd brought him to Atlanta. Budro never coached at the college level again after getting fired after the '71 season.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, now that we enter the dark time of the year I got to thinking today about some Tech past and decided to see how in tune you all on the swarm are. These aren't just Tech stats but also events. Let's see how you all do.

1. Bill Lewis had a hard time at Tech but it didn't start out that way. He had Shawn Jones Jimmy Lincoln etc. But his great start ended and I believe it was the beginning of the end for him. What game was it that turned?
2. Bill Lewis again, what did he do that basically caused him to lose half the team and create his demise?
3. Speaking of Jimmy Lincoln, what was his most famous play and what was the play call?
4. We had a running back gain the most yard in a single game and the record held for almost 10 years. name the player, yards, year and opponent.
5. For years we always played Clemson at Grant field until their fans decided to do something to show how big they were. What did they do and what was the year?
6. John Davis was a center for Bill Curry, what was his nickname and why?
7. The Georgia game in 1971 had a very controversial ending because of something that happened to help Georgia. What was it?
8. Back in the 70's on the Tech sideline, what did Tech have that nobody else used to keep cool?
9. After the win at Georgia in 1984 John Dewberry got a what?
10. After the Virginia win in 1990, who did the team give the game ball to?

Well, now we will see how good you all are.
1. FSU
2. Started Tom Luginbill ahead of Donnie Davis.
4. ELI 365yards, 1978, @ the Air Force Academy
5.1975, paid for everything in Atlanta with $2 bills , stamped with an orange tiger paw.
6. "Refrigerator Mover", because he blocked William "Refrigerator" Perry throughout the game.
7. They were down by 4pts with a minute left and without timeouts and the sec gave them one.
8. an air conditioner
9. a piece of the hedge, which started a tradition.
10. Coach Bobby Ross

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The 1971 Tech-Ugag game had several controversies in addition to the "chain breaking - 1st down."

Brad Bourne picked up a loose ball off a Ugag runner's chest & scored. Nope. No TD. Defense couldn't advance a fumble then.

Andy Johnson is driving Ugag down the field late in the 4th quarter, Ugag is out of time outs & suddenly Dooley gets a 4th Time out that even Lewis Grizzard couldn't figure out.

And Jimmy Poulos still hasn't crossed the goal line after being met at the GT1 as time expired.

As for Carson, he'd been an assistant for about 5 or 6 years at UNCheats, then was at USCe for a couple of years before Dodd brought him to Atlanta. Budro never coached at the college level again after getting fired after the '71 season.
deep, I thought 1967 was the " chain breaking" incident. Kim King knew that one was taken from us.

Wow, so close, with less than 2 minutes and Georgia needed a first down, It was a televised game and ABC for some reason called a TV timeout, giving Georgia a free time out. Next play they converted and in the end Poulus scored. I was there and we were all shaking our heads going what.......

Cool trivia questions!

Note: the correct spelling is Jimy Lincoln.

5) Didn't someone paint tiger paws on the outside wall of Bobby Dodd Stadium and/or on the road one year? I want to say it was in the 1980s but I could be making that up in my head.
Ok, for this answer. We ended the series with Clemson because they wanted to start a home and home with us. After 1977 when they beat us 31-14, Clemson told their fans to go to Atlanta, take 2 dollar bills and write the score of the game on them to show how much money Atlanta would be losing.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
1) FSU
2) Quarterback controversy with Donnie Davis and the TV analyst whose name I cannot recall Tom something or another.
3) Don't really know. He ran wild on an option pitch play against UVA. Seems like it was 200 yards plus
4) Brent Cunningham? 1972? Clemson 200 plus again?
5) Spent money with the orange Tiger paw on it. Don't know what year it was. Sometime in the early 1970s
6) Refrigerator Mover for his performance in largely negating Clemson defensive tackle William "the Refrigerator" Perry in the mid 1980s
7) The "Night the Chain Broke"? The chain gang managed to break the link connecting the ten yard markers.
8) Beats me. Portable air conditioners?
9) A piece of the hedge?
10) Scott Sisson?

That's my story and I am sticking to it. No Google was used in answering these questions.
4. Thought that was Eddie Lee Ivory; rushed for around 370 yards maybe, against Air Force and I want to say 1976.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ok, for this answer. We ended the series with Clemson because they wanted to start a home and home with us. After 1977 when they beat us 31-14, Clemson told their fans to go to Atlanta, take 2 dollar bills and write the score of the game on them to show how much money Atlanta would be losing.
Correct

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There are a couple of answers for Dewberry in 1984, but I think he had a picture in the paper with a piece of the hedge in his teeth.
1. FSU was the visible part. There was a controversial onside kick that FSU "recovered". Charlie Ward was FSU's QB that year
2. Visibly, He brought in Lugenbill as a QB and created a controversy (sorry for the spelling), but that was just the most visible part
3. I'm not sure which one you're referring to
4. I thought this was ELI, but that would be when I was a kid. 1977 maybe?
5. Before my time
6. Fridge Mover has already been answered.
7. I'm too young to remember this one.
8. Either fans with sprayers or Budweiser. Going with fans
9. Back to the part with the hedge in the teeth in the paper.
10. I thought they gave it to Ross.

While we're here... (these should be REALLY easy)
1. Where did Ross coach before GT?
2. Why do we sing the Budweiser song?
3. Where else did Carson coach, and outside of Georgia Tech, what was he known for?
4. How many Georgia Tech coaches have coached in a Super Bowl?
5. Which game didn't we win in 1990?
6. Who played linebacker beside Ted Roof?
7. Back when there was a "freshman" team, Tech and UGA played one game a year with the Freshmen for charity. What was the charity?
Carson known for “Steel Curtain Defense” at Pittsburgh.

I bet Supersize can answer every one of these
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but although I remember all of them, the only ones that I know are ---
#4: Eddie Lee Ivery at AF in 1978, and it was 300+ yards, I think, and in a driving snow storm.
#6: John Davis was known as the "refrigerator mover" because of his prowess against the Clemson defensive lineman, known as "the refrigerator".
#8 I think was gigantic fans, blowing on the team on the sideline.
#9 Dewberry got a piece of the edge and held it in his teeth.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yep. My thinking was Cunningham set the record and ELI broke it but the ten year thing is what got me. Who broke ELI's record if it has ever been broken? I don't think it has.
Cunningham’s game I think set a record but it didn’t last long at all. But what a game he had! After that game Bobby Dodd said he was the greatest running back he had ever seen at Tech. That shocked me since Dodd had coached some great ones like Lenny Snow but he may have partly been trying to support Bud Carson who was never accepted by the blue bloods in the fan base. I am drawing a blank at the moment on your question though.

Alright so now that Supersize has weighed in here are all the answers.

1. Bill Lewis had a hard time at Tech but it didn't start out that way. He had Shawn Jones Jimmy Lincoln etc. But his great start ended and I believe it was the beginning of the end for him. What game was it that turned?
FSU game, we were up 21-10 with like 6 minutes left. FSU went into the 5 verts with Charlie Ward and scored multiple times and we lost. Deflated the team and FSU went on to crush everyone they played running that offense. Who designed that.....Mark Richt.

2. Bill Lewis again, what did he do that basically caused him to lose half the team and create his demise?
He decided he needed a pro style quarterback and benched Donnie Davis and brought in Tom Luginbill. He lost the team. Funny thing, when O'leary took over he re- instated Donnie as the starting QB.

3. Speaking of Jimmy Lincoln, what was his most famous play and what was the play call?
1991 Aloha bowl. We scored on Stanford to make it 17-16, still behind. Two point conversion, Option right with Shawn Jones pitching to Jimy for the two point play. I have that autographed football.

4. We had a running back gain the most yard in a single game and the record held for almost 10 years. name the player, yards, year and opponent.
Eddie Lee Ivery 1978 against Air force in the snow 356 yards. He also had an upset stomach. I listened to the game on the radio.

5. For years we always played Clemson at Grant field until their fans decided to do something to show how big they were. What did they do and what was the year?
1977 we would not play a home and home against Clemson. We finally played them up there and they beat us 31-14. They told their folks to go to Atlanta with 2 dollar bills to show how much money we would lose. The wrote the score on those bills.

The refrigerator mover. In 1984 he pushed William the refrigerator Perry all over the field and we won 28-21.

7. The Georgia game in 1971 had a very controversial ending because of something that happened to help Georgia. What was it?
with less than 2 minutes and Georgia needed a first down, It was a televised game and ABC for some reason called a TV timeout, giving Georgia a free time out. Next play they converted and in the end Poulus scored. I was there and we were all shaking our heads going what.......

8. Back in the 70's on the Tech sideline, what did Tech have that nobody else used to keep cool?
We had a big old air conditioner.

A DUI. The Georgia fans made fun of it but who cares, we kicked their but.

Coach Ross' Dad.

slugboy

Staff member
1. Loaded Question, had a deal with the Buffalo Bills but prior was Maryland and VPI.
2. No real reason the band just started playing it in the 70s at the end of the 3rd quarter.
3. If you mean prior to Tech, well it was Tech as a DC. After he coached with many NFL teams. known for defense. Renso Rock Perdoni.
4. Head Coaches? as a head Coach or assistants. Or Head Coaches as an assistant. Bobby Ross, Chan Gailey.
5. UNC, it was a 13-13 ties
6. Jim Anderson
7. Thanksgiving day Scottish Rite.
The Budweiser song started when Bud Carson was coach—“When you say ‘Bud’, you’ve said it all...”.

Carson went on to coach as a DC at the Vikings and Steelers, where he was the DC behind the Steel Curtain.

For HC and AC, you have at least Ross (Chargers) and Gailey (Steelers). Ross brought Fridge and O’Leary as assistants to San Diego, and they coached that year as well. O’Brien went at New England. Godsey was there in 2011 and 2012, but was only in a full coaching position in 2012, so just missed. Al Groh was the DC for the NY Giants under Parcells.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Alright so now that Supersize has weighed in here are all the answers.

FSU game, we were up 21-10 with like 6 minutes left. FSU went into the 5 verts with Charlie Ward and scored multiple times and we lost. Deflated the team and FSU went on to crush everyone they played running that offense. Who designed that.....Mark Richt.

He decided he needed a pro style quarterback and benched Donnie Davis and brought in Tom Luginbill. He lost the team. Funny thing, when O'leary took over he re- instated Donnie as the starting QB.

1991 Aloha bowl. We scored on Stanford to make it 17-16, still behind. Two point conversion, Option right with Shawn Jones pitching to Jimy for the two point play. I have that autographed football.

Eddie Lee Ivery 1978 against Air force in the snow 356 yards. He also had an upset stomach. I listened to the game on the radio.

1977 we would not play a home and home against Clemson. We finally played them up there and they beat us 31-14. They told their folks to go to Atlanta with 2 dollar bills to show how much money we would lose. The wrote the score on those bills.

The refrigerator mover. In 1984 he pushed William the refrigerator Perry all over the field and we won 28-21.

with less than 2 minutes and Georgia needed a first down, It was a televised game and ABC for some reason called a TV timeout, giving Georgia a free time out. Next play they converted and in the end Poulus scored. I was there and we were all shaking our heads going what.......

We had a big old air conditioner.

A DUI. The Georgia fans made fun of it but who cares, we kicked their but.

Coach Ross' Dad.
Thanks for this trip down amnesia lane. I got almost all of them.

Scubapro

Banned
Well, now that we enter the dark time of the year I got to thinking today about some Tech past and decided to see how in tune you all on the swarm are. These aren't just Tech stats but also events. Let's see how you all do.

Well, now we will see how good you all are.
1. Blowing a huge lead to FSU
2. Brought in Tommy Luginbill at the QB sight unseen
3. I dont remember this one
4. Prince Junior versus Wake?
5. I think this was the $2 bill....where they would buy everything with a $2 bills with a paw stamped on them
6. Refrigerator mover for him beating William Perry like a drum
7. I think it was a Pass Interference in the end zone that gave damutts a second chance at a 2 point conversion
8. IDK
9. DUI
10. I think Ross

griffin mizell

Georgia Tech Fan

remember every stinking incident you mention

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I was going to answer #9 with a suspension from the All American Bowl. I don't think that would happen now days. I really liked the way Dewberry played football.