OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Collins is going to be the DC, extra money can be used for OC.

Whether it is a good idea for Collins to be the DC is a debatable topic. My concern there is he seems to struggle with HC duties and now has to add DC duties to his list.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Whether it is a good idea for Collins to be the DC is a debatable topic. My concern there is he seems to struggle with HC duties and now has to add DC duties to his list.

Some people jsut can't delegate. Collins may have decided he needs to be lcoked in. I believe clemson he actually did a lot of the calling. He was definitely more locked in and not doign his normal ****.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

That's my concern, too, but I guess he figures that's what he is good and doesn't want to leave his career in anyone else's hands. If this is the plan, a young OC like Kittley makes less sense, IMO. The OC might need to help Collins with in-game stuff and you need experience.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Let me clarify that I’d much prefer CGC to be DC rather than CAT.

From DC Geoff Collins' Florida Bio:
  • The Gators finished the 2015 season ranked eighth nationally (third in the SEC) in total defense, allowing just 310.2 yards per game. The 2015 Gators were one of seven FBS teams since 1996 to not allow a touchdown against three different FBS power five conference opponents in road or neutral-site games in the same season. Tennessee (1998) and LSU (2011) are the only other SEC teams to accomplish that feat, and, like Florida, record those three games against SEC foes.
  • Florida was the only team in the country in 2015 to hold four FBS opponents to a third-down conversion rate of less than 17 percent. Additionally, the Gators were one of three teams to hold two FBS opponents under 10 percent in that category. UF’s 30 touchdowns allowed last year were the fifth-fewest in the SEC and tied for the 16th-fewest among FBS teams.
  • Florida ranked third in the SEC in points off turnovers (88), in addition to converting nine of its 24 takeaways into touchdowns in 2015. In addition, the Gators had 12 multi-sack games in 2015, tying the 1997 Gators who notched multiple sacks in all 12 of their games.
  • UF tallied four-plus sacks in four SEC games in 2015, eclipsing the 2012 Gators for the most times a UF team did that in a season since the start of the 2010 campaign.
  • Florida’s defense amassed seven-plus tackles for loss in eight games this year, which is tied for the second-most such outings by a UF team since 1993, ranking only behind the 1999 Gators (nine games of seven-plus tackles for loss). Of those aforementioned eight outings, five saw the Gators post at least 10 tackles for loss, joining the 1997 Gators as the only UF team since 1993 with five games of 10-plus tackles-for-loss in a single season.
  • Also last season, UF forced 62 defensive three-and-outs this year while averaging 3.7 per game.
  • Guided three players -- DL Jon Bullard, CB Vernon Hargreaves, and CB Jalen Tabor -- to first-team All-SEC Selections by the associated press.
    • Hargreaves was named a consensus first-team All-American after being selected to all five teams that the NCAA considers for recognition.
  • In 2014, Collins helped Mississippi State to its first 10-win season since 1999 and a berth in the Orange Bowl.
  • His defense produced the second-most sacks (37) in the SEC and was the nation’s No. 1 red zone defense, as opponents scored on just 63.64 percent of their chances in the red zone.
  • Developed junior Benardrick McKinney, a 2014 first-team All-SEC selection, into one of the SEC’s best linebackers.
  • Under Collins’ tutelage, senior Preston Smith had a career year in 2014, racking up a team-best nine sacks and 15 tackles for loss.
  • In his first season as full-time defensive coordinator in 2013, Collins’ unit was one of the best in the SEC, ranking among the SEC’s top five in total defense (fourth - 349.3 yards per game), rushing defense (fourth – 144.2 yards per game) and pass defense (fifth – 205.2 yards per game).
  • During the last three games of the 2013 season, Collins’ defense allowed just 11.3 points per game, including two contests that featured overtime stands.
  • Prior to earning the full-time defensive coordinator position at Mississippi State, he was the co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach for two seasons (2001-12) where he developed linebacker Cameron Lawrence into All-SEC selection.
  • As the defensive coordinator at FIU in 2010, Collins was a finalist for the Broyles Award, given annually to the nation’s top assistant coach.
  • His 2010 defense led the Sun Belt in total defense, scoring defense, pass efficiency defense and turnover margin, a year after ranking 119th nationally in total defense.
  • In 2008 at UCF, he helped the Knights defense rank second in Conference USA in total and scoring defense.
  • He spent a year at Alabama (2007) serving under Nick Saban as his director of player personnel.
  • As the recruiting coordinator at Georgia Tech in 2006, his efforts led to the Yellow Jackets’ best recruiting class in their storied history.
  • From 2002-05, Collins was the defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach at his alma mater, Western Carolina.
  • In 2005, his defense ranked No. 1 nationally in pass defense along with being ranked 18th nationally in total defense.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I really am hoping this plays out at this point as Collins takes over the D, Thacker moves to LB's, we make a hire to a good DB's coach to handle the entire secondary. We save money on the D side but perhaps improve the coaching. This also maybe makes Collins focus more on coaching and less on the rah rah crap.

We spend some actual money on a proven OC. I am not enamored with Long but his ND Offenses were the best of the Kelly era there. I am not sure what he had to work with at Tulane.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I really am hoping this plays out at this point as Collins takes over the D, Thacker moves to LB's, we make a hire to a good DB's coach to handle the entire secondary. We save money on the D side but perhaps improve the coaching. This also maybe makes Collins focus more on coaching and less on the rah rah crap.

We spend some actual money on a proven OC. I am not enamored with Long but his ND Offenses were the best of the Kelly era there. I am not sure what he had to work with at Tulane.
That's what I'm hoping. Give him something useful to do.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Thacker still DC. Well that does it. Hell just froze over. What on earth are they thinking. Virtually last in defense in P5. The offense had decent -not great- numbers with the exception of the top teams e.g. Clemson D, ND, UGA. So is the OC the scapegoat?
Agreed that this is ridiculous. But stop acting like the offense was decent. They were awful. Maybe not equally awful, but awful nonetheless.

Jmonty71

Banned
Our OC and DC should adapt a scheme to fit the strengths of the perspective groups. If we don't have the personnel to do the air raid, don't do it. If we don't have the personnel for a 3-4, dont6do it. I cannot stress enough that coaches need to adapt to players, not players adapt to coaches. We need someone creative and can strike fear in our opponents. CPJ and his offense did that.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Agreed that this is ridiculous. But stop acting like the offense was decent. They were awful. Maybe not equally awful, but awful nonetheless.
My point was the offense as lame as it was was better than the defense . Both of them should have been gone. The defense was horrible. I am not defending Coach P. I never thought he was anything than a journeyman coach that was over his head at GT.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wait. Are you saying Collins will work with the DBs or that he has been all along. 😳
He's always helped with the DB's.

Listen, these guys played much better last year and the year before. They're essentially the same guys. Something changed this year (I have no idea what), and there was much more confusion this year. Also, the poor pass defense had as much to do with DE's and LB's trying to keep up with the RB's and TE's than anything else. To me, there was a scheme change somehow and not everyone was on the same page. How many times to you need to see a DE chasing the TE, trailing 5 yards to know that the DE can't cover that route runner? This is what I don't understand. It should have shown up in the film room pretty early in the season. Maybe I was just seeing it wrongly.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
He's always helped with the DB's.

Listen, these guys played much better last year and the year before. They're essentially the same guys. Something changed this year (I have no idea what), and there was much more confusion this year. Also, the poor pass defense had as much to do with DE's and LB's trying to keep up with the RB's and TE's than anything else. To me, there was a scheme change somehow and not everyone was on the same page. How many times to you need to see a DE chasing the TE, trailing 5 yards to know that the DE can't cover that route runner? This is what I don't understand. It should have shown up in the film room pretty early in the season. Maybe I was just seeing it wrongly.
Agree that the defense seemed lost and confused. The regression of the DBs was baffling and troubling. I am not encouraged but hope something changes.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm not in the fire 'im crowd, but I have to think if money were no object we'd have hired a different HC in the first place.

So in acknowledging money is a 'thing' in our coordinator hunt, one must also come to the realization that, for better or worse, we need to root like heyul for CGC to succeed (in spite of himself).
We are in the under column when it comes to money is no object.

With The uber rich UT and OU joining the SEC, the increase in the football budget for sec schools will almost equal our total budget.

Maybe every 3 or 4 years can we can get a good qb and wr on the field when have sr ol

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Augusta -
My history with the Air Raid - and how it could work here with an accurate passer that has a cannon.

in 93 my sons team - cypress creek high adopted the air raid after running the power I for years. We were imitating the Stephenville team where art brilles was wildly successful at running it. We destroyed folks and turned the defense loose on them = undefeated season..

Son played ol and we did keep tight spacing on the ol because of some weak links and we ran the ball at end of games to get it over with.
Proud dad moment = We played Yates in the first round of playoffs - they had only lost to Dallas Carter (mean red team in the movie "Friday Night Lights"). We were very good because we had good talent that was disciplined by Texas hall of fame coach. They were huge and fast and well coached - 20,000 standing room only. We come out in the power 1 and ran it down there throasts in the first half- score 10_0 at half and should have been more- 2 passes. Second half they come out fired up and we went to air raid empty back field, some single back with qb keeper. Fond memories of the final death march power i drive to thier 5 yard line as time expired.

NEXT year - the back up qb took over - BJ Symons was also a star pitcher - we did great again but it was more of a one man show and a new system. lots of talent to ncaa

The key for the air raid is that the field is wide open because at least 2 routes are going long.
No way to half way show pressure.
Made it simple for the wr to make right routes and for qb to get ball out in a few second.

BJ had wild stats, went on to be QB for Texas Tech under leach where he had all kinds of passing records - Sammy Baugh trophy.

Change
At Texas tech they did open up the gaps on the ol at select times.

Time passed and my other son was at Baylor so we went to those games - Baylor under Kevin Steele and other coaches were "end of 2021 gt season" bad for years - no wins in SWC for 5 years. Baylor played bend but don't break and ran the ball so the clock kept running. NOTHING MAKES YOU LOOK WORSE THAN A BAD OL. During that time Baylor placed several stud ol guys in the pros

My son came back to teach at Baylor when Brilles moved to Baylor from u of h. After RG Griffin blew up the SWC with the Air Raid

CHANGE I NOTED During the early time Brilles went to placing small track guys on the boundary and sending them long on every play. Also the put the taller wr in the slot. Of course RGIII would take off like Sims does and just wear the other team out. With certain defensive fonts there were call run for the back or qb.

PROBLEM
They scored so fast their own bend and don't break defense wore out as well.
SOLUTION
This was later made better by having a more aggressive defense (at strategic times) and by having more called runs. During this time they went to wide gaps all the time.

IMO - The air raid with wide gaps and some FAST WR and a good TALL WR makes it easier for the ol , rb and especially for the QB.
The field opens up and the weak point is easy to see. Of course we need other schemes, We can be a well prepared as the 1993 cypress creek high school...
I am told that Steele's philosophy changed to conform in recent years, but he is the guy Swinney fired at Clemson because he opposed the up tempo offense, said it wore out his defense, But Swinney was the head ball coach and made it pay off.