Observations and Questions about CPJ's Contract

GravyTrain

Georgia Tech Fan
I didn't want to hijack the thread that the following link was posted in, but here's CPJ's contract (including the extension after the '09 season) from the Coaches Hot Seat site:

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CHSGeorgiaTech.pdf

Assuming this is legit, some interesting notes:
  • CPJ only received a 1 year extension after the '09 season
  • CPJ's entire contract is guaranteed (I assume from the '09 extension)
  • The majority of CPJ's annual compensation comes from "Radio TV" appearances (>50%) and not his base salary (~14%)
  • As of the 2011 season, CPJ gets an annual 3% increase in total compensation
  • CPJ's contract expires December 31, 2015
I think the last point is very important, as it makes next season (as others on this site have pointed out) without a doubt, CPJ's make or break season. He will either be extended or fired after the 2014 season, as we will not have a "lame duck" coach going into the 2015 season. With a "lame duck"head coach, the staff would really struggle in recruiting as there would be no indication that they'd even be there to see the kids step foot on campus the following year.

Also, the question(s) I have are in regards to the buyouts listed on page 27. The way it looks to me is that the buyout sum for each year is the total compensation for that year plus those of the remaining years of his contract (basically guarantees CPJ his salary of that year and any remaining). So then wouldn't CPJ's buyouts really be $5.255M currently and $2.667M after next season? I would assume we would already be paying him that year's compensation in installments during the course of the year (i.e. he has already received most if not all of his 2013 compensation). Am I reading this right?

Not trying to push any agenda here, just trying to truly understand the financial situation Tech is in.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Coacheshotseat.com has outdated information. CPJ is signed through 2016. His salary for 2014, 2015, and 2016 is between $2.5M and $2.7M per year. CPJ's salary is guaranteed. So if you fired him today, you would owe him for all of '14, '15, and '16, which is almost $8M in total.

The original contract had a term of 2008-2014. At the end of 2008 it was redone and the term changed to 2008-2015. Following the 2009 season, the contract was redone again and the term changed to 2008-2016.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/tech-coach-johnson-signs-contract-extension/nQZNg/
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4675542

Animal02

Banned
Why is he breaking in a new starter in 2014?
How often does a starting QB leave the team unless he is going to the NFL?
It rarely occurs--thanks again PJ and just say good bye.

Why, because a young kid is listening to friends and family telling him he has so much NFL potential and he is wasting it at Tech. Unfortunately, friends and family are doing this kid a huge disservice.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wonder if they will extend his contract next year. I sure hope they do extend his contract after he beats FSU in the ACC Championship.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Why is he breaking in a new starter in 2014?
How often does a starting QB leave the team unless he is going to the NFL?
It rarely occurs--thanks again PJ and just say good bye.
Russell Wilson, and the freshman of the year QB from MD just to name ones off the top of my head. It'll become as common in football as it has become in basketball. No big deal. Good thing we have depth

Animal02

Banned
I wonder if they will extend his contract next year. I sure hope they do extend his contract after he beats FSU in the ACC Championship.

He continues with the academic progress, and has a winning season, I would be surprised if it was not extended.......may not be multiple years and that may be the wedge issue, on the other hand, at his age, I do not see him going anywhere voluntarily and starting over.

He continues with the academic progress, and has a winning season, I would be surprised if it was not extended.......may not be multiple years and that may be the wedge issue, on the other hand, at his age, I do not see him going anywhere voluntarily and starting over.
Nobody can predict the future, but here is my suggested scenario: attendence will be way, way down for 2014 because of a bad slate of home games and a tepid backlash by the fan base for the product being delivered. Justin Thomas will be equally as disappointing , or more so, as Vad Lee, sparking renewed debate about the system being the culprit, not the players. Our defense will be improved, counter-balancing a decaying offense with no playmakers, and with the better defense we win our 7 games and go to another low level bowl.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Russell Wilson, and the freshman of the year QB from MD just to name ones off the top of my head. It'll become as common in football as it has become in basketball. No big deal. Good thing we have depth

Russell Wilson graduated from the school but had 1 year of eligibility left. He was able to transfer to any other school and play immediately.
Vad is either transferring to a lower level school or giving up 1 year of eligibility. Apples & Oranges.

Animal02

Banned
Nobody can predict the future, but here is my suggested scenario: attendence will be way, way down for 2014 because of a bad slate of home games and a tepid backlash by the fan base for the product being delivered. Justin Thomas will be equally as disappointing , or more so, as Vad Lee, sparking renewed debate about the system being the culprit, not the players. Our defense will be improved, counter-balancing a decaying offense with no playmakers, and with the better defense we win our 7 games and go to another low level bowl.

I don't see the attendance being that down unless we inexplicably tank early. First, there is only one FCS team on the schedule, so the Georgia southern game will have much better attendance. We should be 3-0 heading into the ACC, with home games against Clemson, Duke, Miami, Virginia.....the only really weak team now is UVA. IMO, I think our home ACC schedule is tougher than the away games......NC State, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech