O Line Starters

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you have listened to all of the press conferences then. There has been mention of Paula, Wing Green, and even true freshmen Franklin and Leftwich. Key is very high on Leftwich and Franklin has been pushing Minihan at center. It would not surprise me at all to see either of these two starting next year. And let's not forget Pendley who I believe is technically still a redshirt freshman.
Yeah, maybe it isn't that the younger players aren't progressing. Maybe it's just that the guys in front of them are actually good. That's what happens at good programs. Freshmen don't have to be in the two deep.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The other guys that came in with Williams are mentioned. Only 2 guys from that aren’t, rankins left the team and then spiers. Green and Paula are both in the 2nd/3rd group and koots I wouldn’t put anything into since he’s sorta on scholly but not. This is a good thing, it shows we have good depth and guys are battling.
GT2019, thanks, you answered my question, I did not know Green and Paula were (or at least one of them) in the first 2 OL rotations and had forgotten about Rankins leaving and did not know Koots was not full deal.

slugboy

Staff member
Some rules of thumb with “returning talent”
  • All things being equal, experience is a great thing
  • If a freshman beats out a really good upperclassman who’s giving their all (like Trevor Lawrence did), that’s a great thing
  • If an underclassman is pushing an upperclassman, and the upperclassman plays better and keeps their spot, that’s a good thing.
  • If you have to play an underclassman who plays poorly, that’s a bad thing
  • From what I’m seeing, we have 5-8 good things happening
(I’m choosing my words carefully here)
Two years ago was ugly on the offensive line. Even with our first choice line all healthy, there were places we were going to get beat. Last year was a little better, but not as much improvement as I’d hoped for, and we lacked depth. When we got dinged up, we either had to play someone hurt, or ran into issues. This year, it looks like we have multiple starter-level players competing for each position.
It’s not a lock that we’ll be good. Because of transfers in some positions, and youth in others, and injuries last year, we may have a lot of experience in snaps, but not a lot of snaps together as a line. I think individual performance will be good, but I’m also looking for good communication and coordination between the linemen.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Many people analyze returning college offenses by looking at the QB. The better way to do it is to look at returning OL. How many returning starters? Have they been in the program at least 3 years? It takes time to physically mature to be able to play OL at a high level. There is a big difference between an 18 year old and a 21 year old who has been in a S&C program for a few years. Then, snap count becomes important. Modern college football is a sophisticated game at the LOS. Kids coming out of HS aren't ready for it.

Most of the so called experts get the analysis wrong. Sure, Bama et al are going to have a good OL every year, so then you can focus on the QB. That doesn't hold true for most FBS teams.

When you look at the 2019 OL and then the injuries, we actually did pretty well to win three FBS games. The criticism of the staff has been unjustified for that reason alone. Rather, their ability to bring in quality transfers should be roundly applauded.

Expect improvement this year just because of the OL. My concern on O is the WR and the passing game. If our routes aren't more precise and our receivers more physical, it is time for concern.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Btw Kirby was thought to be a round 4-7 draft pick the year before last (he didn’t play last year if I’m correct)

Cochran was thought to be a 1-3 round draft pick the year before last year (he didn’t play last year)

Cooper was an all ACC center when healthy

Johnson has a lot of games under his belt both in the SEC and ACC

Minihan has been in the program for 3 or 4 years now

This OL has the chance to be one of the top in the ACC if they mesh well imo.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Because of transfers in some positions, and youth in others, and injuries last year, we may have a lot of experience in snaps, but not a lot of snaps together as a line. I think individual performance will be good, but I’m also looking for good communication and coordination between the linemen.
Yes. I expect that we'll have more talent but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes awhile to show up. Game experience with your teammates Is what makes a good OL. A lot of that will depend on avoiding injury. Collins's first year OL is a good illustration. If we had had all 7 healthy for the season we might very well have won another two games. When we got everybody back for a couple of weeks performance skyrocketed.

I know we do have better depth, but I think people tend to put too much faith in that. Starters are starting for a reason. Let's hope we can avoid any prolonged injury in our OL this year.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I expect that we'll have more talent but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes awhile to show up. Game experience with your teammates Is what makes a good OL. A lot of that will depend on avoiding injury. Collins's first year OL is a good illustration. If we had had all 7 healthy for the season we might very well have won another two games. When we got everybody back for a couple of weeks performance skyrocketed.

I know we do have better depth, but I think people tend to put too much faith in that. Starters are starting for a reason. Let's hope we can avoid any prolonged injury in our OL this year.
Well then, that speaks well for the C-RG-RT as they spent the whole year together. The LT and LG are 6th year seniors. I don't think they will require a lot of time to jell.