O-line Question

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
@flea77 I am wondering if you have any insight in what the guys on the O-line are doing to improve their game/performance from last year?

I think this is the most important position on the team this season and I'm wondering what's the guys mindset going into camp! Any info on injuries/healing of previuos injuries would be awesome too!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
That's great. I think the team valuing doing better instead of getting reps is the most important. Last year I was concerned that athletically we were asking our big guys to pull and block defenders who were lining up several yards off the los that was just never going to be consistent. Hopefully we are more scheme flexible with our personnel this year.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I can only speak to what I know about Will. Last year there were several times when he could not hear the check , so he missed some things. Add that with he was playing against some guys who started college when he was in middle school who got drafted, he did ok. When you combine that with true freshmen at A back ,WR and B back is anyone surprised that we has missed assignments. We found ways to shoot ourselves in the foot. I do not believe that is going to happen this year. We maybe young at several positions but they have all started. We just need to pray that all our young men stay healthy. We have great guys on this team. Trust me they are working their *** off. You think your pissed, believe me they are still pissed off.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Anything I know about injuries I would never post. There are some things that I believe need to stay in the "locker room". I can tell you that Will is excited about the work the OL is doing. They are putting in a lot of extra time.
Yep. Flea is absolutely correct. There are some things that are like the sign in my old high school locker room: "What you see here, what you hear here, let it stay here" Fans don't need to know everything and most of it is none of our business. Coaches coach, Officials ref, Players play, and we cheer and boo. I see no reason to change it.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Not asking about Will specifically... Any sense for whether "not hearing the check" was more of a problem last year than other years? Do you think that will improve this year or do you attribute it mostly to environment?

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
ND was because they were playing those speakers almost until the ball snapped... When the play changes all the blocking changes, then the defense shifts and everything changes again. There is a lot going on in a very short time. Look at my avatar, there is a lot going on, a lot of folks are talking ( basically all at the same time) The OL are making calls as JT is changing the play. I think with a lot of young guys sometimes they were thinking to much. Sometimes they just made mistakes. Yes is will be better this year.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
ND was because they were playing those speakers almost until the ball snapped... When the play changes all the blocking changes, then the defense shifts and everything changes again. There is a lot going on in a very short time. Look at my avatar, there is a lot going on, a lot of folks are talking ( basically all at the same time) The OL are making calls as JT is changing the play. I think with a lot of young guys sometimes they were thinking to much. Sometimes they just made mistakes. Yes is will be better this year.
It sounds like sour grapes, but I remember from the very beginning at ND that the speaker thing was stretching the rules. For a fanbase/team that has a reputation for being hospitable and professes to "do things the right way", I thought it was below them. Frankly it was ridiculous.

Also no cheering in the media box anywhere.... apparently did not apply at ND. Or maybe they "forgot" during the 1st/2nd quarter. The golden homers received at least 1 reminder via the internal PA.

Despite those items, the onset of injuries and the L it was an overall good experience for me.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
It sounds like sour grapes, but I remember from the very beginning at ND that the speaker thing was stretching the rules. For a fanbase/team that has a reputation for being hospitable and professes to "do things the right way", I thought it was below them. Frankly it was ridiculous.

Also no cheering in the media box anywhere.... apparently did not apply at ND. Or maybe they "forgot" during the 1st/2nd quarter. The golden homers received at least 1 reminder via the internal PA.

Despite those items, the onset of injuries and the L it was an overall good experience for me.
I had a great experience at ND. Fans were great. Some of the best I've been around for an opposing school. I also asked some ND fans about the music and they said in all the years they've been going to games they have never heard it that loud or go until the snap. I think it was more of a tactic by Kelly and Uncle Rico knowing we our Olinemen need to hear the checks.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I had a great experience at ND. Fans were great. Some of the best I've been around for an opposing school. I also asked some ND fans about the music and they said in all the years they've been going to games they have never heard it that loud or go until the snap. I think it was more of a tactic by Kelly and Uncle Rico knowing we our Olinemen need to hear the checks.
Can't CPJ complain to the refs about it and then have a warning issued? Seems like if they were breaking the rules and it's that obvious, involving the refs during a timeout should have resolved the issue.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Can't CPJ complain to the refs about it and then have a warning issued? Seems like if they were breaking the rules and it's that obvious, involving the refs during a timeout should have resolved the issue.
Can't NBA refs call a travel? That's kind of how I viewed it.

Scubapro

Banned
I suspect the some of the A-Backs were helping make the O-Line blocking calls during the 2014 season...this would help explain the fall off in blocking assignments from 2014 to 2015. But this is just a guess.
I thought it was bush league of Norte Dame playing music up until the snap...from what I understand...bands and piped in noise has to stop once the huddle is broken. Just another reason to hate the "Irish"

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I 've always thought from the first time I saw PJs offense that it was a "high risk/high reward" one.It depends on a high level of precision in operation.You get that from experience, discipline and of course ability.If it works right,it will eat a defense ALIVE --see '14.If it gets a "bad spark-plug" in the engine (just one missed assignment,bad block, wrong cut, etc), it breaks down.--see '15.