O line đź’—

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
PJ was absolutely brilliant taking average talent and making them elite based on his scheme and knowledge of how to make it go. The problem is the defense had average talent and no real scheme advantage. So the way we won was to score on most possessions and limit the number of possessions. It is so tough to win with average players without some scheme edge. The only time we really had a scheme on defense was under Tenuta. His scheme of heavy blitz also allowed him to recruit Linebackers who loved the aggressivenesss on defense. But in today's world of quick passes (almost West Coast in nature), I am doubtful it would work.
Given equal talent PJ could beat anyone. I loved the option, but recruiting to it was difficult.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
PJ was absolutely brilliant taking average talent and making them elite based on his scheme and knowledge of how to make it go. The problem is the defense had average talent and no real scheme advantage. So the way we won was to score on most possessions and limit the number of possessions. It is so tough to win with average players without some scheme edge. The only time we really had a scheme on defense was under Tenuta. His scheme of heavy blitz also allowed him to recruit Linebackers who loved the aggressivenesss on defense. But in today's world of quick passes (almost West Coast in nature), I am doubtful it would work.
Remember how BC took Tenuta’s D apart with Matt Ryan at the helm in 2007. That is what a competent O would do to Tenuta’s D. Yes, we had a system that overwhelmed most college QB’s and OC’s, but many were able to defeat it over the years.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember how BC took Tenuta’s D apart with Matt Ryan at the helm in 2007. That is what a competent O would do to Tenuta’s D. Yes, we had a system that overwhelmed most college QB’s and OC’s, but many were able to defeat it over the years.
I’ve always disliked the 2007 BC game as an example of shredding Tenuta’s D. We only gave up 24 points and Choice was injured and ended up leaving mid game hobbling our O. Tenuta had far worse games in his tenure. Sorry for the rant back to subject.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I loved the option, but recruiting to it was difficult.
Really? Would you care to elaborate a bit? ;)

Drama What GIF by Robert E Blackmon

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve always disliked the 2007 BC game as an example of shredding Tenuta’s D. We only gave up 24 points and Choice was injured and ended up leaving mid game hobbling our O. Tenuta had far worse games in his tenure. Sorry for the rant back to subject.
Also, Matt Ryan was probably one of the best college QBs we have faced in the past three decades. His accuracy and arm strength were incredible. He carved up every defense. Not just Tenuta’s.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
LOL. You should apply for their coaching job. You seem to know more about it than our current coachs. You guys are pathetic.Ha Ha
If you can't see that then you aren't look very closely. As I said, the DTs may not have the ability to get off the snap more quickly, If they can't improve there then expect to see teams run very successfully against GT next year. There technique is bad too often.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Also, Matt Ryan was probably one of the best college QBs we have faced in the past three decades. His accuracy and arm strength were incredible. He carved up every defense. Not just Tenuta’s.
He was the 3rd overall pick in the draft for a reason. You nailed it!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Sure, the score wasn’t so bad, but Ryan shredded our D that night, 5-7 yards at a time. He passed for 435 yards and they ran for almost 100 more. Total yardage for BC that night was 527 yards. That’s pretty well shredded in my book.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
If you can't see that then you aren't look very closely. As I said, the DTs may not have the ability to get off the snap more quickly, If they can't improve there then expect to see teams run very successfully against GT next year. There technique is bad too often.
That may be the technique they're asked to run. Maybe they want them to occupy OL and let LB and DB do the penetrating. Not every DT is a gapper, and not every system calls for them to penetrate. I tend to agree though.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Sure, the score wasn’t so bad, but Ryan shredded our D that night, 5-7 yards at a time. He passed for 435 yards and they ran for almost 100 more. Total yardage for BC that night was 527 yards. That’s pretty well shredded in my book.
No doubt, but I always feel better examples are the Tenuta bowl games from 2005-07. His D’s were shredded in both points and yards. None of those teams were manned by a future NFL HOF QB.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
No doubt, but I always feel better examples are the Tenuta bowl games from 2005-07. His D’s were shredded in both points and yards. None of those teams were manned by a future NFL HOF QB.
The 2006 Gator Bowl was bad, too. Pat White at WVU just shredded them.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That may be the technique they're asked to run. Maybe they want them to occupy OL and let LB and DB do the penetrating. Not every DT is a gapper, and not every system calls for them to penetrate. I tend to agree though.
Could be but if you watch closely they get moved left or right far too easily. It will be interesting to see how the defense changes this off season.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Could be but if you watch closely they get moved left or right far too easily. It will be interesting to see how the defense changes this off season.
They got moved more earlier in the season. The best we got is the rushing yardage they gave up. They got a bit better when the LB play improved. Imagine that.

wreck1

Georgia Tech Fan
Love this concept. And so glad our O-line has come into its own this year.

The whole idea reminds me of a poster I had when I was a kid - a photo of a uGA player on the ground, with about 6 giant Georgia Tech players piled on top of him. The caption read,

HUNKER DOWN
…with a little help from your your friends.

Attachments

• IMG_7231.jpeg
    IMG_7231.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
That's the one! Wish I still had a copy of it. It was on my bedroom wall (which had Georgia Tech wallpaper), right next to the poster of uga lying on the ground surrounded by GT pom poms that read "Ain't no dawg like a dead dawg."