O line đź’—

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Time to give love to our “big uglies”! When your bowl mvp runningback publicly states he’d give his mvp trophy to his OL, you know they’re good.

If anyone is good at image editing, I have the perfect concept for you: a picture of our OL in the absolute filthiest uniforms standing together arms folded in a foxhole with the caption “Trench Warfare!”

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I agree, one of the hardest things to do is build an OL. When your QB and Running back keep telling you the OL did a good job them you have to think they are good.

Now like 90 percent of the people on here I was like them. That other guy get Key to come to Tech and I was so happy. A few were not cause he recruited against us when he was at UCF and Alabama but the was his job.
My problem like some by 2021 and the OL was still bad I was one that wanted him to go. But thank god I wasn't the AD. Playing football and thinking back I should have known first you have to get the players and then coach them up. The OL is not like some other positions It takes a few years to coach them up and that is what Key did. And now if you look at the younger players and the one coming in next year, we have time to build depth for the next few years with most of the starts coming back.

So our OL did a great job this year and got better during the year. (now let's hope the defense gets better)

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I agree, one of the hardest things to do is build an OL. When your QB and Running back keep telling you the OL did a good job them you have to think they are good.

Now like 90 percent of the people on here I was like them. That other guy get Key to come to Tech and I was so happy. A few were not cause he recruited against us when he was at UCF and Alabama but the was his job.
My problem like some by 2021 and the OL was still bad I was one that wanted him to go. But thank god I wasn't the AD. Playing football and thinking back I should have known first you have to get the players and then coach them up. The OL is not like some other positions It takes a few years to coach them up and that is what Key did. And now if you look at the younger players and the one coming in next year, we have time to build depth for the next few years with most of the starts coming back.

So are OL did a great job this year and got better during the year. (now let's hope the defense gets better)
Agree. OL, as much as any other unit, has to play together. You can’t mix and match every season and have a great OL.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The previous OC had unrealistic expectations for the young ol.
Have qb stand in middle while handing ball to gibbs or keeping ball attracted every one to same spot. Biggest gains were on over pursuit. OC did not spread the ball and qb was expected to read mesh while looking at recievers.

At start of 23 we tried bully ball and it was not very effective , especially inside the red zone.
Then oc was opening up the passing , but that. Scored quickly and exposed our bad dl and lb play.
Oc had King run more and the got Jamel to hit the hole full speed. With more outside and slants off tackle , the ol was able to get better angles.

For the first time in years the rb and qb looked they were on same page. Only issue is when we face all world Dt and we have no help called.

The 2 nd team ol and recruits are supposed to be solid. The sr MTSU ol guy - big red should fit right in.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The previous OC had unrealistic expectations for the young ol.
Have qb stand in middle while handing ball to gibbs or keeping ball attracted every one to same spot. Biggest gains were on over pursuit. OC did not spread the ball and qb was expected to read mesh while looking at recievers.

At start of 23 we tried bully ball and it was not very effective , especially inside the red zone.
Then oc was opening up the passing , but that. Scored quickly and exposed our bad dl and lb play.
Oc had King run more and the got Jamel to hit the hole full speed. With more outside and slants off tackle , the ol was able to get better angles.

For the first time in years the rb and qb looked they were on same page. Only issue is when we face all world Dt and we have no help called.

The 2 nd team ol and recruits are supposed to be solid. The sr MTSU ol guy - big red should fit right in.
Absolutely. You have to have a coaching staff that knows how to call plays your team can be successful at instead of running plays they're ill suited to execute.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Time to give love to our “big uglies”! When your bowl mvp runningback publicly states he’d give his mvp trophy to his OL, you know they’re good.

If anyone is good at image editing, I have the perfect concept for you: a picture of our OL in the absolute filthiest uniforms standing together arms folded in a foxhole with the caption “Trench Warfare!”
Love this concept. And so glad our O-line has come into its own this year.

The whole idea reminds me of a poster I had when I was a kid - a photo of a uGA player on the ground, with about 6 giant Georgia Tech players piled on top of him. The caption read,

HUNKER DOWN
…with a little help from your your friends.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
The O line is significantly improved year over year, and significantly improved from the start of the season to the end.

But - also give credit to the scheme and play calling (and our QB consistently making the right read). It's "easy" for the O line to "block" someone when we aren't blocking them. We leave unblocked defensive ends all the time. You know, because we're an option team now...

On the replay, watch Joe Fusile on any play where we get a big gain. More than likely he did something great.

/

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Love this concept. And so glad our O-line has come into its own this year.

The whole idea reminds me of a poster I had when I was a kid - a photo of a uGA player on the ground, with about 6dwag is probably Pulpwood Smith giant Georgia Tech players piled on top of him. The caption read,

HUNKER DOWN
…with a little help from your your friends.
Pulpwood Smith me thinks.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I didn't think the OL was anything but average for the first quarter of the season. Then the new pieces began to fit better and the team got more used to the way Faulkner called the plays. (Of course, that was largely because Faulkner got used to what the players were best at.) By the end of the season the OL was taking on Ds with every chance of success.

We have a good core coming back on OL, but we need to replace one of our guards and then sort out who's going to play the position. That'll lead to some teething problems, but with any luck spring and fall will get us ready. I think the O will be better next year largely because we have a load of experience coming back and it'll be Faulkner's second year. Now, if we can only solve those pesky D problems …

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The O line is significantly improved year over year, and significantly improved from the start of the season to the end.

But - also give credit to the scheme and play calling (and our QB consistently making the right read). It's "easy" for the O line to "block" someone when we aren't blocking them. We leave unblocked defensive ends all the time. You know, because we're an option team now...

On the replay, watch Joe Fusile on any play where we get a big gain. More than likely he did something great.

/
That's correct Fat... Different O optimizes what you have and designs plays to fit. The OL still did great!

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Is this something like what you had in mind? Bing Image Creator can't seem to spell correctly but I can keep trying, lol.

_e7301aa1-88c6-492a-bbed-f909ea475b14.jpg

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. You have to have a coaching staff that knows how to call plays your team can be successful at instead of running plays they're ill suited to execute.
Bingo. And as I just said in another post part of the improvement of the OL from the first of the year was a matter of Faulkner realizing what the players were good at doing. You'd think practice would tell you that, but in general it takes game reps for the signal to emerge from the noise. If you run a system O, like Paul did, you can be more selective, especially with OL play. I used to relish watching the OL tear opposing Ds up by switching blocking assignments. But the O we have now is more a matter of adjusting with plays then blocking assignments within plays.

Still fun to watch, however.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We have a good core coming back on OL, but we need to replace one of our guards and then sort out who's going to play the position. That'll lead to some teething problems, but with any luck spring and fall will get us ready. I think the O will be better next year largely because we have a load of experience coming back and it'll be Faulkner's second year. Now, if we can only solve those pesky D problems …
I trust Key to come up with something.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

/
All were good but #67 was bad$$$.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and this is where the recently departed guys blew it. They consistently called plays that the OL struggled to execute. Then, rather than coaching the guys to execute, they recruited transfers over them and covered them up. The transfers weren't bad players, but they only had one season, mostly, to learn and master the O and how to play with one another - all in front of a QB with a Jekyll and Hyde performance trend. I look forward to spring ball now for the first time in a long time.