Nvidia and Georgia Tech announce first AI supercomputer for students

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Quite a step up from the Burroughs super computer we had in the late 1960's with Fortran language and card decks that could print out Abe Lincoln's picture. I could have used some of that artificial intelligence back then. Wonder what the cost of one of these new super computer servers with 160 Graphics Processor units. My guess is over $5 mil.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Did anyone else have to read The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder for their Fortran 77 class?
I did not read that book. My initial thought upon reading was "did anyone else but me ever drop and scatter their card deck and spend almost as much time rerunning them to restore them to proper order as it would have taken them to just throw them away and start from scratch?".

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I did not read that book. My initial thought upon reading was "did anyone else but me ever drop and scatter their card deck and spend almost as much time rerunning them to restore them to proper order as it would have taken them to just throw them away and start from scratch?".
It came after the stone-chiseled books had been published.

(actually, I thought we were contemporaries. took Fortran 77 through the Textiles school).

slugboy

Staff member
Bet that's something you haven't thought about in a while...Eagle...Ego...DEC vs. Data General...
That was one of the most boring things I read. The history was important.

For the younger people
- Boston and the northeast used to be the leaders for computers in the US. The west coast was in second place.
- businesses on the east coast got strong non-compete laws to hold on to their intellectual property
- California basically got rid of non-competes
- Engineers took their knowledge to California
- Lots of engineers don’t even know who DEC and Data General are, anymore