Number 11 on Net ROI and Number 1 in % ROI

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our recruits should check this out. I know they all expect to make millions in the NFL if they make it:
Number 11 at 30 year Net ROI at $1,389,000
And for those of us that pay for college, we are the highest % ROI at 13.4%

http://www.payscale.com/college-education-value-2013

Check out some of our competitors:
Georgia at rank of 375 at $642K
FSU 597 at $528K
VT 63 at $1037K
Miami 627 at $514K
Clemson 133 at $872K

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
And if you filter by region Georgia Tech is number 1 in the southeast, followed by Duke at 2, and VT at #5. Their southeast is basically the ACC south of Maryland.

And it is listed at #17 for out -of-state students.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think this data might be wasted on a great majority of FB recruits. If education was/is a priority for a prospective student-athlete then they probably have a good idea already of the value of a GT degree.

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
I disagree. You think all those recruits would be interested in the NFL if they only made 40k/year. Nope. Money rankings talks way more than "academic rankings". Saying GT graduates will make more money on average in their career than any other BCS school this side of the Mississipi will carry more weight than "GT is the number 3 ranked engineering school".

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I disagree. You think all those recruits would be interested in the NFL if they only made 40k/year. Nope. Money rankings talks way more than "academic rankings". Saying GT graduates will make more money on average in their career than any other BCS school this side of the Mississipi will carry more weight than "GT is the number 3 ranked engineering school".

The idea that $ (or even logic) drives the way people, especially teenagers, make decisions and behave is assuming that people think like engineers (i.e rational and logical). I have been teaching math in HS for the last 2-1/2 years. You can tell young people the difference in average lifetime earning potential between a HS and college graduate. Does that influence students to change behaviors? You would think so - after all, who doesn't make the logical choice given a set of data? That's GT logic. Not everyone has it or uses it. Believe it or not, some of them don't want to go to college or realize that they are not college material.(which is fine btw. College really isn't for everyone imo).

Our recruits should check this out. I know they all expect to make millions in the NFL if they make it:
Number 11 at 30 year Net ROI at $1,389,000
And for those of us that pay for college, we are the highest % ROI at 13.4%

Could you please re-do this for our Business School?

Showing our Recruited FB players a bunch of Stats and Academic rankings that are heavily skewed by our Engineering Programs, is somewhat shady since most of our Recruited FB players major in Business, HST , or STaC.

That's like Auburn recruiting players based on the reputation of their Engr. School, when very few if any of their players major in Engr.

This almost rises to the level of a "bait & switch" scheme.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Most of the upper numbers in those statistics are from graduates coming from the Business side of the Institute or moved into management. Engineers tend to top out unless they transition over or start their own companies. (Not all, but most)

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
Could you please re-do this for our Business School?

Showing our Recruited FB players a bunch of Stats and Academic rankings that are heavily skewed by our Engineering Programs, is somewhat shady since most of our Recruited FB players major in Business, HST , or STaC.

That's like Auburn recruiting players based on the reputation of their Engr. School, when very few if any of their players major in Engr.

This almost rises to the level of a "bait & switch" scheme.

Klaus is right. Instead of an ROI of $1,389,000, for business school graduates it's only $1,376,000. That's a 0.9% difference! We should probably self impose the death penalty.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
All well and good, but most HS seniors are not looking farther down the road than 5 years from HS graduation.

That does not mean the S/As don't care about academics, but they want to know if they have a chance to win vs big boys. What kind of bowl game will they have a chance at. What kind if facilities will they have. And how much fan support will they get.

Just the way it is. MOST are not, at age 18, thinking about age 50. How many here were? How many here worked at a job at 50 they thought they would at age 18?