Now time for VT - Who is more desperate?

Deleted member 2897

Well even though we sucked at the FT line it didn't matter tonight ![emoji106]

25636c0b307bc72b88d1c31f089b627d.jpg

I believe we were 1 of our last 8.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Good win. I thoughtbwe would win by 8-12 ish so this was nice. Never in doubt. Vt isnt very good from last 4ish games ive seen them play. But still nice to dominate from start to finish.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
VT is having a tough time of hitting threes in ACC games and that is making the difference between winning and losing right now. Coach Young brought his 3-pt offense from Wofford (VT is taking roughly half their shots from 3), through most of their OOC schedule they were shooting about 43% as a team from three, in ACC games it is 31%.

VT could lose every game the rest of the season (and I think they will lose more than they win) and Young would still be my ACC CoY. Having 5 ACC wins with as little talent and experience that he has is impressive. Their overall record was helped out by an insanely easy OOC (351st our of 353 teams).

Deleted member 2897

VT is having a tough time of hitting threes in ACC games and that is making the difference between winning and losing right now. Coach Young brought his 3-pt offense from Wofford (VT is taking roughly half their shots from 3), through most of their OOC schedule they were shooting about 43% as a team from three, in ACC games it is 31%.

VT could lose every game the rest of the season (and I think they will lose more than they win) and Young would still be my ACC CoY. Having 5 ACC wins with as little talent and experience that he has is impressive. Their overall record was helped out by an insanely easy OOC (351st our of 353 teams).

My vote for Coach of the Year would go to Roy Williams. To have as much talent as he has and to be dead last in the conference during the weakest season for the ACC in modern history is an amazing accomplishment.

Deleted member 2897

Some box score stats:
Banks 0/2 FT
Phillips 0/2 FT
Wright 4/9 FT

Alvarado 6 assists, 1 TO.
Devoe 4 assists, 1 TO.

Bubba 4 fouls in 21 minutes.

Banks/Wright: 14 combined rebounds, 1 combined TO.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You can complain about our inconsistency. Let’s see what the next game looks like...

In terms of our play I don't really think we're all that inconsistent, at least since returning from Hawaii. Obviously there is some variation and we play better some games than others, but we haven't really played a bad game since ACC play resumed. When we've run into teams having an off night, we've been able to run away from them (BC, UNC, VT) and otherwise we either faded against teams with a clear talent advantage (FSU and Duke) in competitive games for the most part, or played about even with teams that are about where we are (ND, UVA, NCSU).

The biggest complaint IMO about our conference play (again since it resumed) is we were unable to finish off winnable games that we had a chance to win late. We beat NCSU, but lost to ND x2, UVA, and UL in those situations. Now that is an issue in it's own right, but I wouldn't call it inconsistency.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
The biggest complaint IMO about our conference play (again since it resumed) is we were unable to finish off winnable games that we had a chance to win late. We beat NCSU, but lost to ND x2, UVA, and UL in those situations. Now that is an issue in it's own right, but I wouldn't call it inconsistency.
YES...if we could've just flipped a couple of those games into the win category, this season would have a different feel and we would be a bubble team fighting to get in. As of right now, we are gonna have to go on a serious run to get in the discussion.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
In terms of our play I don't really think we're all that inconsistent, at least since returning from Hawaii. Obviously there is some variation and we play better some games than others, but we haven't really played a bad game since ACC play resumed. When we've run into teams having an off night, we've been able to run away from them (BC, UNC, VT) and otherwise we either faded against teams with a clear talent advantage (FSU and Duke) in competitive games for the most part, or played about even with teams that are about where we are (ND, UVA, NCSU).

Last night was the rare game where turnovers weren't an issue which has continually but the team in the ***. And the team hit all their free throws in the 1rst half which probably hasn't happened at any point this season no matter how little the amount of attempts.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
The improvement in offensive rebounding the last couple of games is noticable. Not saying we look like UNC pounding the offensive glass, but definitely made diffference.
Last night it looked like we were sending 3. sometimes 4 to the offensive glass. In the past, I recall seeing 1 or 2 at most and our offensive rebound totals were almost always lower than the opponents .... I know the last two games are too small a sample size, and VT is undersized (and ND to some degree) - but have we made adjustment there?

Turnovers under control really change things for this team. To me that was the #1 problem most of the year. FT shooting #2, and not converting when in close #3.
I can see the changes in offense scheme (no longer running Banks as a point center) help and fit the personnel better. If the turnovers stay under about 10-12 a game, this team should be competitive with anyone rest of the season - home or away.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
The improvement in offensive rebounding the last couple of games is noticable. Not saying we look like UNC pounding the offensive glass, but definitely made diffference.
Last night it looked like we were sending 3. sometimes 4 to the offensive glass. In the past, I recall seeing 1 or 2 at most and our offensive rebound totals were almost always lower than the opponents .... I know the last two games are too small a sample size, and VT is undersized (and ND to some degree) - but have we made adjustment there?

Turnovers under control really change things for this team. To me that was the #1 problem most of the year. FT shooting #2, and not converting when in close #3.
I can see the changes in offense scheme (no longer running Banks as a point center) help and fit the personnel better. If the turnovers stay under about 10-12 a game, this team should be competitive with anyone rest of the season - home or away.
Had the same thought. In years past, Pastner has said he is willing to sacrifice offensive boards for getting our defense set. Wonder if his mentality has changed with this personnel.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Had the same thought. In years past, Pastner has said he is willing to sacrifice offensive boards for getting our defense set. Wonder if his mentality has changed with this personnel.
Yes. Pastner talked about this in the VT post game press conference.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The only bad thing about this game was the FT shooting.Nice to have situation where it made NO difference.
JA is getting to All-conf status.Really is he not the best PG in league now?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Banks hasn’t been much of a contributor offensively, but he’s done a really good job of keeping possessions alive by either grabbing the board or tipping it out to the guards. To your point, he and Moses were beast on the offensive boards last night.

When Moses has his motor going, he’s a tough to box-out. He’s able to come down and go back up more quickly than most of the guys guarding him.