Notre Dame to Play 2 Johnson Tree Spread option teams back-to-back

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Interesting to think about why a coach like Kelly could be so successful and then get to ND with all their resources and recruiting advantage and fail so bad
Well it appeared he had them going in the right direction at one time. Big mistake with the O'Leary fiasco. He would have won multiple championships and retired a legend.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Maybe we can get a chart like that for the GT - unc game?

Thank goodness we are running his masterful O. It keeps us in games (not wins them which is supposedly the goal. To wit record vs ugag, um, recent CU, recent unc, vt.).

I have maintained for years I do not care if we gain 10 yards running or throwing. So, yes, it does not mean another coach running this O would not succeed. Or fail. If such a person was hired, they would have very, very little time to convince the public (we best start selling more tickets) that this would have been the right move. But anyone thinking his philosophy has not impacted our entire team & recruiting process is burying their heads in the turf. It reduces the # of qualified recruits (already smaller than big state U) even further. And CPJ, as has been said many times, from day 1 never emphasized anything but his O. It has more than caught up with him, and us.

I am just too old for the new GT mantra.

I want to see GT win. Nobody is going to win like osu, mich, bama does these days. That is not what we are talking about. The new generation a GT fans are accepting of, at best, mediocrity. That was not what I was taught at GT. And then excuse upon whining excuse.

How in God's name did Georgia Tech ever reach a point where 58% is considered successful?

Anyone is free, and perhaps justified, in disagreeing with me. That is more than fine. But somebody best start thinking of the future and what can happen. I know you all love GT as I do.

P.S. Navy vs. n.d. does not have crap to do with GT.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
How in God's name did Georgia Tech ever reach a point where 58% is considered successful?

Tech's "stated goal" in its GTAA strategic plan is to demonstrate progress towards winning conference championships. The problem is a) they don't resource it and b) hold themselves accountable.

I find ironic that Tech leadership will fly all over the world to improve its academic programs, but won't walk down the Hill and ask the GTAA, "what can we do to help meet expectations?"

I personally like the TO. Other teams are moving g towards the spread, even Alabama. The difference is winning.

I think we emphasize on field coaching too much as the elixir. Our AA sucks, there is no other way to describe it. Ultimately, they own the performance of our athletic programs and while I'm glad we are FBS ... we are way under our potential.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have maintained for years I do not care if we gain 10 yards running or throwing. So, yes, it does not mean another coach running this O would not succeed. Or fail. If such a person was hired, they would have very, very little time to convince the public (we best start selling more tickets) that this would have been the right move. But anyone thinking his philosophy has not impacted our entire team & recruiting process is burying their heads in the turf. It reduces the # of qualified recruits (already smaller than big state U) even further. And CPJ, as has been said many times, from day 1 never emphasized anything but his O. It has more than caught up with him, and us.

There is no one "equalizer" offense or defense. There are some on here that believe CPJ's offense gives us the best chance, and it's certainly true that his offenses have done very well here, but it's not the only offense that would do well here and "give us the best chance".

I'm of the opinion that if a coach has a good system that he knows in and out, and knows how to coach his players, the system will do well anywhere. Mike Leach who knows his Air Raid system better than anyone would do well here. Art Briles with his system would do well here, as well as his long time OC Philip Montgomery who's doing well at Tulsa would do well here. Urban Meyer with his version of the spread option would do well here. Jim Harbaugh with his "power I pro style" offense would do well here. Coach Ken at Navy would do well here, but not because it's CPJ's spread option, it's because he's just a damn good coach. Montana's Bob Stitt with his spread offense would do well here. On the flip side, I think a defensive coach like Bud Foster would do well at GT.

In my opinion, it's less about the system and more about the coach and his mastery of the system and his ability to communicate what he wants to his players. Al Groh is probably a PHD level guy in terms of football knowledge. When you listen to him talk, the guy knows his stuff. But if he can't communicate his knowledge to the players and help them see it on the field, all the knowledge in the world means nothing if his guys can't execute it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What I see at Alabama is interest is sustaining their "Alabama Way" of playing football.

They tried the football coach as hero model ... Perkins, Curry, Dubose, Shula, etc.

They feel like they have an approach now, that transcends the coach. Saban's Process.

Tech needs an approach to FBS that works for Tech. I've heard many say that Tech is "service academy" football. I don't know, but I don't disagree either.

Changing every few years is just very expensive and not very productive.

One of my college profs said, "many techniques will work. What's important is to pick one, commit, and excel at it."

I don't think we've ever done that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What I see at Alabama is interest is sustaining their "Alabama Way" of playing football.

They tried the football coach as hero model ... Perkins, Curry, Dubose, Shula, etc.

They feel like they have an approach now, that transcends the coach. Saban's Process.

Tech needs an approach to FBS that works for Tech. I've heard many say that Tech is "service academy" football. I don't know, but I don't disagree either.

One of my college profs said, "many techniques will work. What's important is to pick one, commit, and excel at it."

What was our bowl streak...something like 18 straight bowls? I believe it was tied for the second longest streak at the time. From 1997 till 2015 GT had as much sustained success as anyone. It wasn't FSU 90's level dominance, but it was success that most schools would trade for any day. Through out those 18 years, We've had Friedgen's offense, Gailey's offense, and CPJ's offense. We've had a myriad of defensive coordinators during that time as well. Given the restraints at GT versus other schools, that is a pretty remarkable record of success, especially considering the coaches that have come and gone in the 18 years.

Systems are important, and that's true. Systems also get old and coaches have to stay ahead of the teams chasing your system. That is true in business as it is in football. Saban's offense is a great example of this. He was a power pro style guy for the longest time until teams found a way to beat him by using tempo and athletic QBs. Well, Saban saw it from experience, and changed his offensive system.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree, but theres more to it than just the offense. There's recruiting, facilities, marketing ... there's got to be a complete view based on the environment.

What terrifies me is the outlook (15 years out?) that the game will consolidate to the top 50-60 programs and that's it. In that environment, we'd be in trouble. We should have an AA organization that keeps up. That's all.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we can get a chart like that for the GT - unc game?

Thank goodness we are running his masterful O. It keeps us in games (not wins them which is supposedly the goal. To wit record vs ugag, um, recent CU, recent unc, vt.).

I am just too old for the new GT mantra.

I want to see GT win. Nobody is going to win like osu, mich, bama does these days. That is not what we are talking about. The new generation a GT fans are accepting of, at best, mediocrity. That was not what I was taught at GT. And then excuse upon whining excuse.

Anyone is free, and perhaps justified, in disagreeing with me. That is more than fine. But somebody best start thinking of the future and what can happen. I know you all love GT as I do.

P.S. Navy vs. n.d. does not have crap to do with GT.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400869480

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

If they feel they have a "process" that reduces the reliance on a coach, those folks over there in Tusks Are Loosa are smoking stuff they should be selling. Knowing them, they might be. That's just nuts.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If they feel they have a "process" that reduces the reliance on a coach, those folks over there in Tusks Are Loosa are smoking stuff they should be selling. Knowing them, they might be. That's just nuts.

Yes, that's the word. The plan was for Saban to retire in 3 years and tutor Kirby Smart. That's not gonna happen now.

But Bama does want to avoid the constant see saws with basically, bad decisions on hires. Use Saban's Process to drive a more predictable way to run the program.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yes, that's the word. The plan was for Saban to retire in 3 years and tutor Kirby Smart. That's not gonna happen now.

But Bama does want to avoid the constant see saws with basically, bad decisions on hires. Use Saban's Process to drive a more predictable way to run the program.
Well, just an opinion but having a great coach and great recruiting territory and pliable if not complicit administrators along with almost unlimited money -- Alabama doesn't have much but it is willing to spend it all on football -- is not exactly a process. But a question, and I do not know the answer, but if he was to hire Kirby Smart, then what kind of coaching tree does Nick Saban have to justify faith in hiring the guy who is slipping and sliding over in Athens? Nick Saban may be a great college coach, but while Bear Bryant fans -- yeah, yeah, they all are -- can point to Bryant, Gene Stallings and Dabo Swinney in a direct line. What head coaches has Saban wrought?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Alabama doesn't have much but it is willing to spend it all on football -- is not exactly a process. But a question, and I do not know the answer, but if he was to hire Kirby Smart, then what kind of coaching tree does Nick Saban have to justify faith in hiring the guy who is slipping and sliding over in Athens?

Alabama sees football as it's greatest tradition ... 16 national championships, 29 conference championships, etc. It spends a lot on football because football drives donations - capital programs, investment, etc. The current president said Nick Saban was the best investment he ever made.

Re Saban's tree, he of course, worked for Bill Bellichick at the Browns, so that's the start. His tree includes Mark Dantanio (Michigan State), Jimbo Fisher (Florida State), Jim McElwain (Florida), Will Muschamp (South Carolina), Jason Garret (Dallas Cowboys) and of course, Kirby Smart (Georgia). Numerous assistants.

Now, according to my sources, Kirby was NOT ready to be head coach. He needed about five more years to get ready. But ... when the dominoes began falling and it looked like he would go to SC, UGA jumped in and got what they wanted ... a UGA alum who might one day be a great coach. Again, he was perceived as "not ready yet" but it is what it is. He will struggle at UGA IMO.

Also, re Alabama's "process", it is not little "p" process, but capital "p" Process. The Process. Saban has a very detailed methodology for how he runs the Alabama program. It's structure, a framework and it works. Alabama wants a more mature method to sustain performance and not repeat the Mike Dubose type fiascos.