Notre Dame rumor, ACC expansion, & NBC contract

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Heard a rumor from a Penn St co-worker of mine. He said that ND may be seeing the writing on the wall and wants "all in" on the ACC and a shot at the CG, since it appears that winning CG's may be a prerequisite as a playoff contender.

He also said that he heard NBC may be trying to buy out ESPN's ACC package to keep the ND games.

Also that Cincy or UConn are also named as expansion contenders to make the league 16 teams.

Anyone else heard this? Thoughts?

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Heard a rumor from a Penn St co-worker of mine. He said that ND may be seeing the writing on the wall and wants "all in" on the ACC and a shot at the CG, since it appears that winning CG's may be a prerequisite as a playoff contender.

He also said that he heard NBC may be trying to buy out ESPN's ACC package to keep the ND games.

Also that Cincy or UConn are also named as expansion contenders to make the league 16 teams.

Anyone else heard this? Thoughts?
1 & 2 seem somewhat believable. 3 not so much.

thwgjacket

I take it you don't think it's possible.
Sorry man just saw an opportunity to hate on Richt. As far as ND becoming all in with the ACC, I think it's going to take more time. I honestly think it would take ND getting left out of the playoff specifically because they don't play a conference championship game. I'm just guessing though and I may be giving too much weight to the ND ego. I just think they still think they can get in the playoff without a CCG.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
@thwgjacket had me falling on the floor. I was actually ashamed of myself for laughing so hard.

As to the rumor I will only say this. It does not sound like a valid rumor but if Notre Dame was to go all in and then have their NBC network buyout ESPN's ACC contract it would mean the athletic department at Tech would have to figure out what to do with all that money they would suddenly be swimming around in. It would put the ACC almost on par with the SEC in terms of dollars. In terms of national recognition it would put the ACC pretty much at the top of the pyramid.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Does NBC have enough outlets to put on all of the ACC Football games during the season. Also, this gives no consideration to basketball and the amount of games that would not be televised.

I'm not sure NBC can give the coverage that the ACC would need.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Does NBC have enough outlets to put on all of the ACC Football games during the season. Also, this gives no consideration to basketball and the amount of games that would not be televised.

I'm not sure NBC can give the coverage that the ACC would need.

The NBC gig might be for football only. Who knows. I thought about all the ACC football games and I'm sure NBC could work something out with local market affiliates to televise the NBC productions of the games, I think.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The ND part seems very possible to me, think about 2 yrs back CPJ said ND would be all the way in ACC within 5 yrs. I have no idea about the rest of predictions. Looks to me like it will be damn near impossible for committee to pick someone other than a power 5 champion for final 4, all IMO of course
What's the more important TV mkt, Ohio or Conn, I don't know, anyone here know, ACC already has NY mkt('cuse)

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Honestly i'm done with conference realignment. I really enjoy Notre Dame and hope one day they do join the ACC, however IF and WHEN they do, I think Cincy and UcoNN would be way down the list of potential number 16's. I think you could see realistically a Penn State type or even dare I say Tennessee.

Buzzmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
I think ND will join very soon. I don't think it will be this year. E Carolina or UCF would be a good fit for the ACC. What do y'all think? I would like to see Texas in the ACC but I don't think that would happen.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well, n.d. needs to get all in or f.o.

Adding any more northern teams would be a giant *** mistake, unless PSU

I know it is crazy to dream big (why hope to do something great?) but if the ACC ever wants to expand it needs to look at schools like PSU, uk, Texas, or other big 12 schools.

But as I said, that would require some vision & courage.

And screw the academic b.s. Arguments. Your degree will not be worth less and you won't lose your job.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
How do academics factor into ACC expansion? Or maybe a better question, how do you think academics should factor into ACC expansion?

Are we an academically elite conference? Can we call ourselves that when we already had FSU and Clemson in there? And, especially since we've seen fit to add in a school like Louisville? (I know an assertive individual can get a good education at these schools. I'm speaking more of reputation and academic rankings.)

Notre Dame would obviously be a great addition in both aspects. But, adding a UCF or ECU would be another step in the opposite direction. Historically the ACC has been a topnotch academic conference with UNC, Duke, UVA, GT carrying the torch. Wake is certainly no slouch in this regard; NCSt is pretty mediocre. Miami and BC probably fit well with the academic aspect. VT not so much, but not embarrassing either. Louisville is embarrassing and the complete opposite direction.

Personally I would love to add a Penn St or Northwestern as they would fit both aspects well. Not sure how realistic they are. I don't know the academic reputations of UConn or Cincy.

Thoughts?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
GT is a member of the Association of American Universities. The other ACC members of the AAU are Duke, UNC, Pitt and UVa. That's it!
Notre Dame is not a member. Locally Emory is a member. Academics have not been a factor in inviting membership in the ACC.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally I would love to add a Penn St or Northwestern as they would fit both aspects well. Not sure how realistic they are. I don't know the academic reputations of UConn or Cincy. Thoughts?

I agree with previous posters regarding academic standards. We have F$U and L'ville, so what's that about standards? Integrity in compliance with standards (or lack thereof, read: UNCheat) is another matter.

UPDATE: Rumor Source

Below is the link from where this rumor comes. The 'pack fans pretty much beat the hell out of it, but the poster's source is a Golden Domer. The poster apparently previously called ND joining the ACC months before it happened. Apparently called L'ville joining too, but I haven't made it all the way through the thread to verify. So the poster has some street credibility.

http://northcarolinastate.scout.com...bc-to-host-acc-network/168793262?s=178&page=1

Discuss further.