Notre Dame Opens as 20 Point Favorite

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
My stepdad, who has been a ND fan his whole life, said that he thinks if Notre Dame plays like they did against Louisville then we will beat them. He thinks this is a trap game ND could easily lose. He also said he hopes we play Sims as our QB because he is turnover prone.... I am hoping Sims comes out and throws bombs all over ND and looks like he did against Louisville.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
My stepdad, who has been a ND fan his whole life, said that he thinks if Notre Dame plays like they did against Louisville then we will beat them. He thinks this is a trap game ND could easily lose. He also said he hopes we play Sims as our QB because he is turnover prone.... I am hoping Sims comes out and throws bombs all over ND and looks like he did against Louisville.
It is a trap game. Notre Dame has Clemson next Saturday.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Now me being the optimist that I am looks at all the little things that can happen like Notre dame looking ahead, us being home, The Historic unis, us being abysmal the last couple of weeks, and now we have a chance to bounce back and fix that which after last week I'm pretty confident Collins has begun to put an emphasis on defense and turnovers. So there is 2 ways of seeing this either this can be the best we play all season or Another usual moping. I'll be My usual self
Tech- 24
ND- 20

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve got a good gut feeling about this game.

First off, I don’t think our team is as bad as we showed last week. I think Collins’ teams have a tendency to not show up for some games and that goes back to his temple days when they lost to Villanova (he’s gonna need to get that fixed if he’s gonna last here). But I think he’s gonna have our guys ready for this one because our fan base is rightfully ticked off right now. Just look at our Twitter/Instagram posts or this board, our fans are crapping all over Collins and you’d be hard pressed to convince me Collins doesn’t care about what people say on social media. I think he throws everything and the kitchen sink at this game.

Add to that this is a classic “trap” game with ND probably looking forward to the Clemson game next week. It would be hard for a coach to get his players to take us seriously after our last couple of outings. Plus it’s at home on Halloween and we’re wearing black (major spooky factors there).

With all that being said, either I’m right and these things matter and it’s a < 7 point game either way. Or, I’m wrong (probably) and we get shlacked and lose something like 73-7. Those are the only two outcomes in my mind

Collins alluded to the fact that we can only attack one area on defense. We better sell out to stop the run. I don’t think their QB is a great passer (could be wrong), but I’d load the box and put our corners on an island and take my chances.
This!!

We need to sell out to stop the run, IMO their QB is only a mediocre passer, they opted for him over the Guy we saw last week playing QB for BC, in addition I don't think their WRs are speedy like UCF so I'm praying that our secondary can have a better game and not have guys running wide open all over the place

Not only do we cover, we win this outright, the WRs & Sims hit a few big plays and the ND Defense won't be ready for Gibbs in the open field

To the OLine:
Just cheat and hold the damn guy, (#1) 10 yds is about what a sack is anyway, #2 you don't want your QB injured, and most importantly #3, the Refs only catch about 1/4th of all the Holding that takes place, and yet for some reason we have DLs getting to our QB at the same time as our always too-low Shotgun Snaps

If our OLinemen would use just a smidgen of their GT Education, they would see that holding is a much better alternative than to do otherwise, hell our guys aren't even "FB savvy"

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I have and will continue to be down on the CGC, the OC and DC coaching on this team and think the odds of the CGC turning it around are small. He is a one trick pony and will be lucky to get to Chan's level in 2-3 years.

But this weekend, we will actually beat ND. It is the Georgia Tech way.

We win by 3 and enjoy the weekend.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
This!!

We need to sell out to stop the run, IMO their QB is only a mediocre passer, they opted for him over the Guy we saw last week playing QB for BC, in addition I don't think their WRs are speedy like UCF so I'm praying that our secondary can have a better game and not have guys running wide open all over the place

Not only do we cover, we win this outright, the WRs & Sims hit a few big plays and the ND Defense won't be ready for Gibbs in the open field

To the OLine:
Just cheat and hold the damn guy, (#1) 10 yds is about what a sack is anyway, #2 you don't want your QB injured, and most importantly #3, the Refs only catch about 1/4th of all the Holding that takes place, and yet for some reason we have DLs getting to our QB at the same time as our always too-low Shotgun Snaps

If our OLinemen would use just a smidgen of their GT Education, they would see that holding is a much better alternative than to do otherwise, hell our guys aren't even "FB savvy"
He is a solid passer not on a level of Lawrence but can hit passes when he needs to

slugboy

Staff member
So far, when we sell out to stop one facet, the other goes gangbusters. Just play solid defense and play good base defense

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So far, when we sell out to stop one facet, the other goes gangbusters. Just play solid defense and play good base defense
If you would’ve told me that Tech held Etienne and Lawrence to 50 combined rushing yards I probably would’ve told you that Tech had a chance at the upset of the year.

If you would’ve told me that Tech held BC to the first game under 200 yards passing, their second under 300, and 65 less than their 2nd least amount, I probably tell you that Tech wins that game handedly.

The fact that both of those games resulted in embarrassing losses is a shock to the senses that I don’t really understand

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we will need at least two non-offense generated touchdowns to have a chance to win.
Keeping fingers crossed for a pick six and punt return for a touchdown.
Did you see the way they played against FSU and Louisville? I think those are likely if we can take advantage of them. Ian Book should have had 3 INTs against Louisville because of bad throws and misses wide open receivers if he is pressured. We just need to sell out on stopping the run and make Ian Book beat us, but with all the pressure hopefully he will fold.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ahh yes, the old play not to lose (by too much) strategy.

Whether people want to admit it or not, the offense is the “strength” of this team. That being said, we are very young at key positions. We don’t have the luxury of grinding out long drives.

-If you’ve watched us play this year, you’ll have noticed a few things. We struggle to score consistently when we get in the redzone.

-We don’t have a kicking game so we have to score tds.

-Our best chance to score points is on explosive plays.

Honestly this offense reminds me of some of PJs teams towards the end of his career. Not in a sense of scheme but that it seemed like we couldn’t sustain drives consistently and needed to hit a homerun to score (against good competition).

We all agree the defense sucks, but we need to score points to win. We aren’t good enough to run 10-15 play drives consistently to do that so we will need to hit big plays.

The issue is we can’t fall behind 3 scores early like we did against Syracuse and BC because we gift them the game at that point.

Collins alluded to the fact that we can only attack one area on defense. We better sell out to stop the run. I don’t think their QB is a great passer (could be wrong), but I’d load the box and put our corners on an island and take my chances.
"...put our corners on an island and take my chances." Makes sense to me. Two of our best players are the cornerbacks, time to show out. FWIW, I agree with an earlier post that Notre Dame, as usual, is not as good as they are hyped to be but...they are a whole lot better than we are. Irish to win and cover easily.