Notre Dame has a Depleted Roster and Coaching Changes for 2015

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
"Depleted" is kind of ridiculous.

Golson was going to be a backup this year.

Jhonny Williams never played. He'd also be a freshman next year. He was someone who may have contributed this year, but he probably wasn't going to start.

Matt Hegarty - This was probably the biggest loss. That said, Hegarty is not an all conference type, he's more of a serviceable starter.

Eilar Hardy - Funny you look only to his status as a recruit even though he spent FOUR YEARS at South Bend. Yeah he was a four star recruit - IN 2011. He's a guy that simply didn't pan out. That's why he's going to Bowling Green. He had 35 tackles in 15 games over the past two seasons. I'm pretty sure whoever takes his place on the 2-3 deep (cause Hardy wasn't going to be a starter) is just as good, if not better.

Ishaq Williams - Again, who cares if he is a five star, dude has played since 2011. He had six tackles in 2011. In 2012 he had 22 tackles in 13 games. In 2013 he had 17 tackles. One sack in his career. He's not a Tuitt caliber player by any stretch, although he is serviceable.

I would much rather lose those five players than Days, Laskey, Waller, Smelter, and Perkins. Our roster, esp at the offensive skill positions, is much thinner than theirs.
Anybody who thinks ND is gonna lack talent is dreaming. Whether they can put the pieces together to beat us is another matter entirely. A lot of the teams we beat last year had more talent than us and look what happened. (talent as measured by the infallible star system, that is. ;) )

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
We're screwed. We ALWAYS do poorly when the other team's at a perceived significant disadvantage.
They are supposed to have some of the top players in all of college football:
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ans-notre-dame-playoff-teams-round-one-062215

6) Well, you just took my No. 5 guy. Because you took Myles Garrett, I'm taking Notre Dame OT Ronnie Stanley to anchor my offensive line.

7) Next, I'm going to take Notre Dame OLB Jaylon Smith, who was No. 3 on my board. Since I already took Scooby, I have some hesitation about taking another linebacker that high, but he's so good I think I will. He's a way more athletic linebacker than Manti Te'o was.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
When you are down that many bodies heading into training camp it impacts the amount of hitting and other drills as less bodies creates practice problems.

Not saying they are down as many kids as USC west was with scholarship reductions, but every coach will tell you that need all 85 to get good looks each week.

Sure ND has talent but Rudy walkons aside, every coach wants his full # to work with all season long.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Their biggest liability?
Van Gorder is still the DC.
I bet dollars to donuts PJ can't wait to light up the scoreboard on him.

remember this from a USA Today article from last december?

So when Johnson called [Roger Inman the grounds guy at GA Southern] in 2006 — by then, more successful and wealthier than ever — ranting and raving about how Georgia Southern's first-year coach Brian VanGorder was trying to undo the triple option offense that had lifted the program to prominence, Inman knew it had wounded Johnson's football soul.

"VanGorder had made some comments that he didn't think too highly of the offense, and Paul called me up and said, 'I need to talk to (athletics director) Sam (Baker) and get Georgia Southern on the schedule,'" Inman said. "I said, 'Why do you want to play us?' And he said, 'Because I want to beat the hell out of Brian VanGorder.' "

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...all-georgia-tech-coach-paul-johnson/19853357/

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
So can anyone with knowledge of the ND roster tell me who we should watch out for on both offense and defense, aside from Jaylon Smith and Ronnie Stanley?

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So can anyone with knowledge of the ND roster tell me who we should watch out for on both offense and defense, aside from Jaylon Smith and Ronnie Stanley?

I'm not super knowledgeable, but here is what I can find online:

On DL, Romeo Okwara (Sr, leader in sacks on ND last year) I think is going to be the main guy to watch at DE, but he's not great and they have a number of other players equally as good (Isaac Rochell, Kolin Hill, Andrew Trumbetti). Their DEs are not a strength, and I'd hope we could exploit that. Sheldon Day (Sr) is hurt often at DT, but dude is a monster when healthy. He was team captain. Has 16.5 tackles for loss in his career, started 19 games. He's not huge (6-2, 285), but he's good. Jarron Jones is their bigger nose tackle, also a senior. He's 6-5, 315. Had 7.5 TFL last year.

Sum: they start 3 seniors and a junior. We are going to have a tough time I think pushing back the interior, though their DT/NG are good, not great. We should have an easier time playing off their DEs.

Linebackers - Jaylon Smith is sick. I don't think his position is set for next year between Will or Sam. Their Mike LB, Joe Schmidt, was hurt for a lot of the year last year but led the team in tackles when he went down on Nov 1. They also supposedly have a younger guy, Nyles Morgan, who is pretty good but may not get to start depending on where Jaylon Smith plays. They seem pretty solid though, which could be trouble for us.

DB - Looks like they got two solid cornerbacks in Kei-Varae Russell (Sr) and Cole Luke (Jr). Safeties are also experienced (Jr. and Sr.) but don't appear to be quite as good as advertised. One guy, Redfield, was a five star and only a Junior, so he could turn it around, but I don't think either plays with a good football IQ.

On offense, obviously Malik Zaire took over for Golson at the end of the year last year. Tarean Folston is a good but not great RB who rushed for about 900 yards last year. He will get the majority of carries with Greg Bryant as more of a change of pace / big play guy. Not a lot of depth either.

WR Will Fuller is the guy to watch, and is probably NDs best skill player. 79 catches, 1100 yards, 15 TDs. He's only 6-0, 181, but he's very fast and runs great routes. They've got a couple other decent pass catchers (CJ Prosise, Chris Brown, Corey Robinson - both of whom had 500 yards receiving). All of those guys are seniors or juniors.

Not much going on a TE. Low pass catching numbers, although supposedly they are good run blockers. Next to Ronnie Stanley is Nick Martin, who is supposed to be a pretty good left guard (5th year senior who moved from center). I'm not sure who will start at center instead of Hegarty - Martin could be moved back to center to open up a sport for Nelson, a five star sophomore, or Harrell who is a Senior but doesn't have much experience. Their right side of the line doesn't seem nearly as good as the left.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
I'm not super knowledgeable, but here is what I can find online:

On DL, Romeo Okwara (Sr, leader in sacks on ND last year) I think is going to be the main guy to watch at DE, but he's not great and they have a number of other players equally as good (Isaac Rochell, Kolin Hill, Andrew Trumbetti). Their DEs are not a strength, and I'd hope we could exploit that. Sheldon Day (Sr) is hurt often at DT, but dude is a monster when healthy. He was team captain. Has 16.5 tackles for loss in his career, started 19 games. He's not huge (6-2, 285), but he's good. Jarron Jones is their bigger nose tackle, also a senior. He's 6-5, 315. Had 7.5 TFL last year.

Sum: they start 3 seniors and a junior. We are going to have a tough time I think pushing back the interior, though their DT/NG are good, not great. We should have an easier time playing off their DEs.

Linebackers - Jaylon Smith is sick. I don't think his position is set for next year between Will or Sam. Their Mike LB, Joe Schmidt, was hurt for a lot of the year last year but led the team in tackles when he went down on Nov 1. They also supposedly have a younger guy, Nyles Morgan, who is pretty good but may not get to start depending on where Jaylon Smith plays. They seem pretty solid though, which could be trouble for us.

DB - Looks like they got two solid cornerbacks in Kei-Varae Russell (Sr) and Cole Luke (Jr). Safeties are also experienced (Jr. and Sr.) but don't appear to be quite as good as advertised. One guy, Redfield, was a five star and only a Junior, so he could turn it around, but I don't think either plays with a good football IQ.

On offense, obviously Malik Zaire took over for Golson at the end of the year last year. Tarean Folston is a good but not great RB who rushed for about 900 yards last year. He will get the majority of carries with Greg Bryant as more of a change of pace / big play guy. Not a lot of depth either.

WR Will Fuller is the guy to watch, and is probably NDs best skill player. 79 catches, 1100 yards, 15 TDs. He's only 6-0, 181, but he's very fast and runs great routes. They've got a couple other decent pass catchers (CJ Prosise, Chris Brown, Corey Robinson - both of whom had 500 yards receiving). All of those guys are seniors or juniors.

Not much going on a TE. Low pass catching numbers, although supposedly they are good run blockers. Next to Ronnie Stanley is Nick Martin, who is supposed to be a pretty good left guard (5th year senior who moved from center). I'm not sure who will start at center instead of Hegarty - Martin could be moved back to center to open up a sport for Nelson, a five star sophomore, or Harrell who is a Senior but doesn't have much experience. Their right side of the line doesn't seem nearly as good as the left.

That was awesome! Thanks for the in depth info

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck