Notre Dame Football 2015 Off-Season Preview: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Yeah, that's offensive to more than just the ND fans. My advise to you is to lose than perjorative slur from your vocabulary. I don't care if it's a ND fan or a GT fan, if they're Catholic, they'll be offended.
I realize that it can be offensive to all catholics, but it really was never meant that way at the football games. I doubt that Tech fans are the only ones ever to use the term, and when I was in school I knew at least one catholic student who used it to regarding Notre Dame. Remember, it's only used for Notre Dame, and not for other catholic schools, like Boston College.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I realize that it can be offensive to all catholics, but it really was never meant that way at the football games. I doubt that Tech fans are the only ones ever to use the term, and when I was in school I knew at least one catholic student who used it to regarding Notre Dame. Remember, it's only used for Notre Dame, and not for other catholic schools, like Boston College.
Yes, but it's origin is a Protestant derogatory slur for Catholics in general. I doubt you use the n-word when we play HBCU's, like South Carolina State. It's a term meant to demean. I'm not trying to get PC here, but that's not a term you should want to heft around freely. It's offensive.
Lol. "Mommy, he called me a fish eater ... mean bully"
You're a smart guy. You know words are merely words. The term is steeped in bigotry and prejudice. If you want to associate yourself with that type of language, your certainly free to, but I find it offensive and malicious.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but it's origin is a Protestant derogatory slur for Catholics in general. I doubt you use the n-word when we play HBCU's, like South Carolina State. It's a term meant to demean. I'm not trying to get PC here, but that's not a term you should want to heft around freely. It's offensive.
You're a smart guy. You know words are merely words. The term is steeped in bigotry and prejudice. If you want to associate yourself with that type of language, your certainly free to, but I find it offensive and malicious.

What would it look like if you were "trying to get PC" here?

Seriously, at some point you have to lift up your head from the nonsense and ask, "Am I really letting myself be offended by some stupid, childish name-calling?

And are you really comparing anti-Catholic bigotry to the lingering sting of the racism arising from the Pope-sanctioned African slave trade? Smh

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
And are you really comparing anti-Catholic bigotry to the lingering sting of the racism arising from the Pope-sanctioned African slave trade? Smh
You are taking things into really bad territory with this hyperbole and calumny. Whoever and whatever you are responding to, be what it may (I can't see it), but this is not a good strategy for getting a thread back on track.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You are taking things into really bad territory with this hyperbole and calumny. Whoever and whatever you are responding to, be what it may (I can't see it), but this is not a good strategy for getting a thread back on track.

You either shouldn't use words you don't understand or post from ignorance. My post included neither hyperbole nor calumny.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What would it look like if you were "trying to get PC" here?

Seriously, at some point you have to lift up your head from the nonsense and ask, "Am I really letting myself be offended by some stupid, childish name-calling?

Bigotry is bigotry (I'm not calling anyone a bigot, just the original of the word). What one poster put forth as an idea, went in a bad direction, and that was my fault. I apologize to all here. My point was only that, where we're trying to be fun and light, that the term had a deeper, darker meaning.

I certainly do not use that term even in regard to Notre Dame any more, but the FACT is that it HAS BEEN SO USED. I, and probably you too, have been called far worse things based on my (your) heritage, upbringing, belief system, etc. As a kid, I was probably bothered by it quite a lot, as an adult, all I can say is, "Big deal or so what?" Like I said, the term was only used in reference to Notre Dame, at least in my world of existence, and it really doesn't even fit anymore, because of changes in Roman Catholic practices. As a Christian myself, I have no desire to demean or otherwise judge other Christians, regardless of the denomination, but I don't mind taking a shot at other schools. Is it really any worse than referring to all Georgia fans as trailer-trash rednecks. We know they aren't all like that, but it's fun getting under their skins calling them that. If that, or whatever way one set of fans use to get at opposing fans, is bigotry, then so be it. I guess we are all bigots.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I certainly do not use that term even in regard to Notre Dame any more, but the FACT is that it HAS BEEN SO USED. I, and probably you too, have been called far worse things based on my (your) heritage, upbringing, belief system, etc. As a kid, I was probably bothered by it quite a lot, as an adult, all I can say is, "Big deal or so what?" Like I said, the term was only used in reference to Notre Dame, at least in my world of existence, and it really doesn't even fit anymore, because of changes in Roman Catholic practices. As a Christian myself, I have no desire to demean or otherwise judge other Christians, regardless of the denomination, but I don't mind taking a shot at other schools. Is it really any worse than referring to all Georgia fans as trailer-trash rednecks. We know they aren't all like that, but it's fun getting under their skins calling them that. If that, or whatever way one set of fans use to get at opposing fans, is bigotry, then so be it. I guess we are all bigots.

This.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm totally offended by your "deeper, darker" put down as if being 'darker' is somehow evil. Let's call it what it is, bigotry.

You see where this stupidity goes when you search everybody's vocabulary or writing for offense. Mackerel snapper, trailer trash, vomit eaters (my favorite), thugs, whine and cheese, cheaters, etc are used here everyday, but suddenly you take offense, call everybody out and grease your ego about how sensitive and caring you are.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
... As a Christian myself, I have no desire to demean or otherwise judge other Christians, regardless of the denomination, but I don't mind taking a shot at other schools. Is it really any worse than referring to all Georgia fans as trailer-trash rednecks. We know they aren't all like that, but it's fun getting under their skins calling them that. If that, or whatever way one set of fans use to get at opposing fans, is bigotry, then so be it. I guess we are all bigots.

I'm not trying to lecture you on what you can or can't say. But if you can't see the difference between an ethic/racial/religious slur and trash-talking, then there's no reason to discuss this further. I think you're old enough and wise enough to understand the difference, whether you agree or not. I will go as far to say my original post in this thread was probably inappropriate because of how it could be construed, so I'm not throwing stones.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm totally offended by your "deeper, darker" put down as if being 'darker' is somehow evil. Let's call it what it is, bigotry.

You see where this stupidity goes when you search everybody's vocabulary or writing for offense. Mackerel snapper, trailer trash, vomit eaters (my favorite), thugs, whine and cheese, cheaters, etc are used here everyday, but suddenly you take offense, call everybody out and grease your ego about how sensitive and caring you are.
Pretty sure religious-based insults are not every-day occurrences here. All of the other names you used talk to the person/persons, not their religion.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not trying to lecture you on what you can or can't say. But if you can't see the difference between an ethic/racial/religious slur and trash-talking, then there's no reason to discuss this further. I think you're old enough and wise enough to understand the difference, whether you agree or not. I will go as far to say my original post in this thread was probably inappropriate because of how it could be construed, so I'm not throwing stones.

Seriously, how would it look different if you were trying to lecture us? smh

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm Catholic and of Irish decent. I'm not offended by a fish reference, but some guys on TOS thought it funny to mock the famine to dig at ND fans. I find that over the line.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm Catholic and of Irish decent. I'm not offended by a fish reference, but some guys on TOS thought it funny to mock the famine to dig at ND fans. I find that over the line.
Much of what I find attractive about this board is the maturity and collegiality proffered while football opinions themselves get free rein. That is vs. other places, unfortunately, where the humor, such as it is, is too often sophomore level insults. My time in service taught me that there are things one might say to bait close friends of any race or religion in a very private, convivial setting that used publicly or in unfamiliar groupings are in fact insulting and demeaning. One particular black friend on a bar-hopping jag came up with the most colorful and creative expressions for a Southern white boy imaginable. Funny beyond words. I was helpless before him. But said to me and our small group only. This, however, is not a small group.