Notre Dame - 1st Trip EVER to Indiana

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Tough to watch. Brought Winborne back out for the 4th who gave up a single, got an out, and walked a guy. Carpenter came in--struck out first guy and actually struck out the next guy but a passed ball on strike 3 got the runner on. Then a wild pitch scored another run.

Down 7-4 in top of 5th.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
... God Bless Pastner and the team in what I hope is the beginning of the significant improvement over the next few years. But... it is possible the baseball team will surpass the basketball team in conference wins while in Miami for their 1st ACC series.
Yep...... I actually wrote that back in early December about 3 weeks before Pastner beat the eventual national champ, Tarheels. :oops: Shame on me. The basketball team won 8 out of 18 conference games. I am now wondering if the baseball team will match that over a 30 game ACC schedule.

On another note... I have to wonder the toll on "how" we're losing will take on this group. Does the frustration that must exist... begin to turn into finger pointing & basic disintegration? Case & point was 4-run lead today. Their 6-run 3rd inning included 3 walks & 2 HBPs. I believe ND sent 11 batters to plate. Only put 5 balls in play.... 2 of them were outs... the other 3 all singles. That kind of inning (losing lead like that) for the defense has to really grate on your nerves.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
maybe we will hire Jeremy Guthrie to be our pitching coach. His performance last night for the nationals was inspiring and something I could really see GT doing

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I don't think they will do anything to Danny Hall. Didn't they give him a 5 year extension last year?I turn the TV to The Masters after that hideous 6 run inning.
Some things that make me sick:
more than 10 strike outs in most games
our pitchers walking close to double digits very often
our pitchers constantly hitting batters while attempting to come inside
Peurifoy constantly striking out on breaking balls
Johnson constantly striking out on breaking balls
the whole rest of the team striking out on breaking balls
Craport constantly bouncing throws to first
pitchers constantly walking the number nine hitter to lead off innings
batters having no situational awareness at bat

Can our coaches not do anything to improve on any of the above? Apparently not!
Do our guys have any discipline on road trips?

I understand that we are all fans, which is short for fanatics. But I do think we need to be realistic. While I also would root for improvement, in truth, this team has shown itself to be no better than the 13th best team in the ACC. There really is no reason to expect any change the rest of this year. It would be nice to see an uptick, but I don't expect us to finish high and don't expect us to be more than my 11-19 prediction, which would (I think) miss the ACC Tourney (maybe not, I haven't really analyzed other teams remaining schedules etc).

Squints once complained about our fan base having unrealistic expectations. Maybe I am guilty of that criticism, but I do expect us to be able to return to the days when we could challenge for ACC top tier and national prominence. Frankly, I see the baseball program as being quite similar to the basketball program. And Hall reminds me a lot of Hewitt. Like basketball, I think the potential is there to be MUCH better than 13th in the ACC (or 8th, for that matter). It just takes the right coach.
You and me and everyone else that has spent the time watching this historic program not sliding but sprinting down the drain should be upset and should expect much better. The hard part has been done and that is building the program. Danny had a great run and should be applauded for his efforts, but like almost everything else things come to an end. There really are no good excuses to where the program has fallen. Academics aren't an issue. Lack of local talent is definitely not the issue. Ability to put players in the show isn't the case. Hard not to see where the issues are. Don't get me started on the fielding!! Freaking t ballers learn the fundamentals.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Yep...... I actually wrote that back in early December about 3 weeks before Pastner beat the eventual national champ, Tarheels. :oops: Shame on me. The basketball team won 8 out of 18 conference games. I am now wondering if the baseball team will match that over a 30 game ACC schedule.

On another note... I have to wonder the toll on "how" we're losing will take on this group. Does the frustration that must exist... begin to turn into finger pointing & basic disintegration? Case & point was 4-run lead today. Their 6-run 3rd inning included 3 walks & 2 HBPs. I believe ND sent 11 batters to plate. Only put 5 balls in play.... 2 of them were outs... the other 3 all singles. That kind of inning (losing lead like that) for the defense has to really grate on your nerves.
"Their 6-run 3rd inning included 3 walks & 2 HBPs." And this is NOT a one time happening. It has become a habit. The number of Ks by our batters each game is getting ridiculous also.