Notre Dame, 1/10 at ND Game

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Maxwell too. I’m really tired of him coming off the bench, throwing away 3 possessions with iso fadeaway/leaner 18 footers before the next media timeout, and riding the bench the rest of the game. IIRC he had a travel called tonight where I think he surprised himself that he was about to pass the ball rather than put it on the floor/shoot it.

If you remove Coleman Boyd, Tristan Maxwell has our 2nd most FGA per 40 minutes…while shooting 23.5% from the field. It’s like he thinks his key to more playing time is to drop another BC game.
I hear you. Maxwell definitely isn’t shy. I actually kind of like his game too, but his fg% doesn’t warrant giving him much freedom I guess.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hear you. Maxwell definitely isn’t shy. I actually kind of like his game too, but his fg% doesn’t warrant giving him much freedom I guess.
Given the seemingly random approach CJP has to his substitution pattern I can sort of understand coming in with all guns blazing. Not sure when you are going to get your next chance. Doesn’t make it right just means I kind of understand it

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Maxwell too. I’m really tired of him coming off the bench, throwing away 3 possessions with iso fadeaway/leaner 18 footers before the next media timeout, and riding the bench the rest of the game. IIRC he had a travel called tonight where I think he surprised himself that he was about to pass the ball rather than put it on the floor/shoot it.

If you remove Coleman Boyd, Tristan Maxwell has our 2nd most FGA per 40 minutes…while shooting 23.5% from the field. It’s like he thinks his key to more playing time is to drop another BC game.
I hear you, but imo the only reason he comes in is when we’re really struggling on offense and desperately looking for a spark. If he’s not out there to shoot and score, I’m not sure you want him out there at all.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
What a frustrating loss! So very close. Some quick takes:
I thought Terry and Deebo both had really tough games (couldn't hit even wide open shots- combined were 0-10 from three), but Smith and Sturdivant and Franklin kept us in the game. I said last game that if you give Smith 40 minutes he might get a triple double and he was 4 minutes and only 3 assists short. Sturdivant somehow had 18 points in 18 minutes and almost single-handedly willed us to a win. Franklin played like a beast and is our best rebounder, shot-blocker and offensive threat down low, particularly against a team with a smaller frontcourt (like ND). We missed Jalen Moore. I don't like what Maxwell brings. ND is not a good team, and we let them pull out the win. We had our chances. Oh well. More fuel to the "Pastner Hot Seat" story.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Had two disparate thoughts about the game.

1. If this team can ever get consistent playing as a team they could make a tournament run.

2. Coaching really must be harder than it looks. When Cremins coached Tech one of the biggest complaints about him was that he was lousy running plays to inbound the ball.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Given the seemingly random approach CJP has to his substitution pattern I can sort of understand coming in with all guns blazing. Not sure when you are going to get your next chance. Doesn’t make it right just means I kind of understand it
That’s an interesting point. You’re suggesting that the players don’t trust that they will get the playing minutes simply by playing sound ball but feel like they have to engage in playground heroics when they come off the bench to catch the coach’s eye.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Time outs are automatic turn overs for GT and automatic baskets for the other team. A little like Hewitt days when you winced at the timeout because we may not get the ball inbounded. I am so ready for a fresh start.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought it was an iso play for Franklin on the block. Box inbound set. Guys on the block cleared out to the corners and the 2 at the foul line break down with Franklin coming to the ball in what looked like a flat set which is usually an iso play for a big on the block. Franklin couldn’t get position and they lobbed it to him at the foul line instead of the block.

Franklin isn’t the matchup I would look for. Out of that box set you can run neat double screens for a shooter like Kelly to get the ball with plenty of time
Yeah I think you're right. I just went back and watched the replay and it looks like they were trying to iso Franklin just like you said. I saw Smith cutting on the weakside which made me think that's who Deebo was trying to lob to. What's sad is that Smith's cut would have won us the game if Deebo had just seen him in his peripheral. Wide open layup/dunk off a simple bounce pass. To make matters worse, if Franklin doesn't get to the pass, Kelly grabs it with a wide open jumpshot or slightly contested layup at his disposal. Just a comedy of errors that cost us a very winnable game.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I think you're right. I just went back and watched the replay and it looks like they were trying to iso Franklin just like you said. I saw Smith cutting on the weakside which made me think that's who Deebo was trying to lob to. What's sad is that Smith's cut would have won us the game if Deebo had just seen him in his peripheral. Wide open layup/dunk off a simple bounce pass. To make matters worse, if Franklin doesn't get to the pass, Kelly grabs it with a wide open jumpshot or slightly contested layup at his disposal. Just a comedy of errors that cost us a very winnable game.
Interesting that GP on the other site said the play was for Franklin to get a pass and drive? I didn't see that as he was coming hard for the block but maybe he was supposed to fake to the block and go back to the line and get a pass? At this point all I know is it didn't look like everyone knew what was supposed to happen

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting that GP on the other site said the play was for Franklin to get a pass and drive? I didn't see that as he was coming hard for the block but maybe he was supposed to fake to the block and go back to the line and get a pass? At this point all I know is it didn't look like everyone knew what was supposed to happen
Why in the world would you draw up a play for a catch and drive with your PF/C? Franklin is decent, but he's not that kind of player. Also, why would you design a play that has him fake hard for the pass only to drift further away from the basket to catch it, just to drive back toward the basket again? If that's what Pastner drew up, it really makes me scratch my head at that decision. Drawing up plays isn't rocket science, but it definitely separates the good coaches from the great ones.

Side note: not questioning what GP said, just befuddled at such a poor play design...

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve coached youth teams with two 1-hour practices a week and we have three under basket in-bounds plays. Whether confusion or awful play construct, that was a late-game coaching disaster.
I like Coach Pastner’s energy and character, but during these games I sense he’s Coach Hopester - I hope this shot drops, I hope this play works, I hope they miss.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Best game I’ve ever seen from Deivon Smith

Consistency has always been his issue. Talent and ability were never the question.

He reminds me a lot of Jordan Usher in that he can help in several ways even if he's not scoring well. His stat line against ND was beautiful. Now if he performs like that consistently, and develops that leadership and X-factor Alvarado had...man, he'll be a special player.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't recall that of Cremins but I sure remember Hewitt's teams having those problems big time.
Cremins would get hyper excited in close games with time pressure. The players seemed to know to take things in their own hands. We had athletes who made up for the problematic inbound plays.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree... Like every game we will play this season, I think that our ability to win the game hinges primarily on how well we shoot the ball.

If we shoot it at a strong percentage (and avoid stupid turnovers), we stand a good chance to win this game.

If we get into a position of not being able to throw it in the ocean, then we will likely lose it going away.
Deebo Coleman and Lance Terry combined 0-10 from 3pt land. As Aaron Neville said, "and that maybeeeee, all I neeeeeed to know"!

We won't beat anyone with that ****... If not for Deivon and Kyle going off, we get our asses whipped!