Notes from the AJC

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Ken Sugiura said:
Also, Elon crushed West Virginia Wesleyan 49-7. I imagine if you go to the Elon message boards, the AD is getting ripped for scheduling a Division II creampuff.
Hahaha. Did GT fans moan and groan about about playing Elon or something?

The requested open date after the BYU game was not granted.
I really want to know how this works. I don't think the schedulers are going out of their way to give lower priority to GT's request (as much as we like to think that) but I wonder if there is an element of chance outside of the scheduler trying to fit in all the teams we are supposed to play. So for example, UNC just happened to have been given a BYE week for the fourth time in the last six years. Is that UNC just getting lucky?

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I really want to know how this works. I don't think the schedulers are going out of their way to give lower priority to GT's request (as much as we like to think that) but I wonder if there is an element of chance outside of the scheduler trying to fit in all the teams we are supposed to play. So for example, UNC just happened to have been given a BYE week for the fourth time in the last six years. Is that UNC just getting lucky?
From http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/tech-johnson-peeved-schedule/nWbJs/
...Tech’s Sept. 7 open date does appear unavoidable. Nine ACC teams scheduled nonconference games that week and Florida State and Pittsburgh received byes since they’ll play on Labor Day the prior Monday. That left Wake Forest, Boston College and Tech, and since the Jackets weren’t scheduled to play either team, Tech was the only team without an opponent...

...A variety of factors, including Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech’s nonconference schedules, ESPN’s desire for Tech to play both Virginia Tech and Clemson on Thursday night and appropriate spacing for the open dates, may have made a Thursday night game where both teams had a bye week prior to the game difficult, if not impossible. Still, Johnson called it “ridiculous” to stage one of the league’s marquee games under such a circumstance...

...Another frustration was Tech’s being scheduled to play eight consecutive weeks between open dates, something that only Pitt and Virginia will also do. Tech’s two longest road trips, Miami and BYU, are also on back-to-back weeks. Further, Tech had asked for a bye after the BYU game – as it is a long trip and also because it would coincide with fall break – and didn’t get it...

...Also, four of Tech’s six Coastal opponents play a nonconference opponent before playing Tech and a fifth, North Carolina, has an open date. It will be the fourth time in Johnson’s six seasons that the Tar Heels will have that advantage...

...Further, Pittsburgh’s opponent prior to playing Tech Nov. 2 is Navy, which runs an offense similar to the Jackets’. “Just randomly by computer, I imagine,” Johnson said with sarcasm...

Even Tech’s returning to Clemson for a second consecutive road game – a request initiated by former athletic director Dan Radakovich, now at Clemson – perturbed Johnson. Bamford said that Tech pulled the request off the table after Radakovich left Tech in October. However, the ACC scheduled Tech to return to Clemson, one of six repeat-site games for 2013 intended to balance home and away schedules.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We were scheduled to play Vpisu on 5 days. They could have given us Pitt. The fact that practically all our division has either a bye or nonAQ before us defies chance.