Note from Juanyeh Thomas

Jmonty71

Banned
I'm ok, with this. To a point. When bigger schools, with bigger budgets plain out buy players, by offering more money. That's where the line needs to be drawn. Otherwise, make it where kids can jump straight to the NFL.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I’d love to know what Jaunyeh thinks he should be paid.

Dude. Pretty obvious he is speaking up about the Bryce Gowdy situation. Keep it real. A college scholarship and shot at the pros pays off...eventually. But that is 3-4 years to wait while some of these kids' families struggle to even survive. Bryce's mom and siblings were homeless and he was facing the prospect of leaving them in that situation and it is part of what broke him. If anyone associated with Tech had tried to help, per NCAA rules, we would probably never see another bowl game.

Meanwhile, they are charging 15 dollars for a domestic beer at the Rose Bowl.

Look, I don't have the answer to fix the system, but Juanyeh is asking the right questions and I am proud of him for speaking up.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Dude. Pretty obvious he is speaking up about the Bryce Gowdy situation. Keep it real. A college scholarship and shot at the pros pays off...eventually. But that is 3-4 years to wait while some of these kids' families struggle to even survive. Bryce's mom and siblings were homeless and he was facing the prospect of leaving them in that situation and it is part of what broke him. If anyone associated with Tech had tried to help, per NCAA rules, we would probably never see another bowl game.

Look, I don't have the answer to fix the system, but Juanyeh is asking the right questions and I am proud of him forspeaking up.

Damn right!!! I don’t have any answers, either. But the fact that some will abuse the system is no excuse for us not to try and find a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Look, I don't have the answer to fix the system, but Juanyeh is asking the right questions and I am proud of him for speaking up.

He can speak up. And he can answer questions. Like how much do you think you should get paid. Or for the discussion on this board. Gowdy had a mental breakdown. There were many things that led to this as sad as it was.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
He can speak up. And he can answer questions. Like how much do you think you should get paid. Or for the discussion on this board. Gowdy had a mental breakdown. There were many things that led to this as sad as it was.

Spoken from a place of privilege. You dont think extreme povety might contribute to a mental breakdown? College football is a huge industry that everyone makes money on except the ones putting themselves on the line. I gotta take some time to continue this convo, as I might get hot.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Spoken from a place of privilege. You dont think extreme povety might contribute to a mental breakdown? College football is a huge industry that everyone makes money on except the ones putting themselves on the line. I gotta take some time to continue this convo, as I might get hot.

Dude. Quit being sensitive. You can debate without getting emotional.

Just answer the question, what do you think a player should be paid?

Eli

Helluva Engineer

It's a tough situation because many kids parents are in poverty and they attend college without a full ride. I don't know the answer as there will always be struggles in the world unfortunately

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Dude. Quit being sensitive. You can debate without getting emotional.

Just answer the question, what do you think a player should be paid?

Quit being so insensitive. Sometimes people know there’s a problem and don’t have all the answers. It doesn’t make the question invalid.

I don’t have an answer or I’d give you one. But there are billions being made and there are people in positions of power and knowledge who should be tasked with figuring it out in a fair way.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I won't pretend to know what Bryce was feeling or what his brain was telling him, but if one of his main concerns was his family being without shelter or food, his choosing of suicide did not improve that situation. I don't think he thought it through and believed that with him gone, a bunch of people would raise $$ for his mom and brothers. Whether he left for college or left for eternity, the family, in his mind, would still be in a bad place. There is no parent that would not rather have their child and be hungry than be full without their child.

This was more about mental and emotional health obviously than anything else. There are shelters and food banks all over the country to help families in need. In many extended families, including mine, there are also family members who cannot fully take care of themselves, so the family members who can help do help.

I say all of this to say that I don't believe that Gowdy's main issue that led to his extremely unfortunate choice was $$ and his family's plight. There was more to it than that, but I guess it was a contributing factor. Suicide among teens and early adolescents has never been higher - there is such a sense of hopelessness and spiritual famine, and a lot of the prescription meds that kids are being fed are, in many cases, adding to the desire to think life is not worth living. These kids need fathers (or father figures) who love them unconditionally and unselfishly. So many either have absent fathers or the father that is there might as well be absent.

Last edited:

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Just follow the Pro baseball model. Everyone eligible for the draft, NFL creates a minor league, maybe off season, to develop players. High school players can take the money or go to school. If they go to school, they have to stay 3 years.

For the rest, NCAA should limit coaches pay to $1M then allocate enough money from TV contracts so all schlorship players get the same $s a month. Football pay should come from football TV money, basketball pay from basketball TV money, etc.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Quit being so insensitive. Sometimes people know there’s a problem and don’t have all the answers. It doesn’t make the question invalid.

I don’t have an answer or I’d give you one. But there are billions being made and there are people in positions of power and knowledge who should be tasked with figuring it out in a fair way.

Im looking to discuss the mechanics of this. How is asking a question being insensitive?

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a tough situation because many kids parents are in poverty and they attend college without a full ride. I don't know the answer as there will always be struggles in the world unfortunately
Exactly, he should feel fortunate that he's able to attend college for free due to his God given athletic talent. I'm sure there are 10x as many non athletes who are struggling to get through school, while working several jobs and taking on enormous loans. Meanwhile, their families are also struggling to make ends meet at home.

This subject really has nothing to do with college athletes being paid. In fact, someone needs to tell Juanyeah just how fortunate he is!

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, he should feel fortunate that he's able to attend college for free due to his God given athletic talent. I'm sure there are 10x as many non athletes who are struggling to get through school, while working several jobs and taking on enormous loans. Meanwhile, their families are also struggling to make ends meet at home.

This subject really has nothing to do with college athletes being paid. In fact, someone needs to tell Juanyeah just how fortunate he is!

Yes. Juanyeh is speaking from a position of extreme privilege. He needs to recognize that and quit being a victim.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Nvm
Just follow the Pro baseball model. Everyone eligible for the draft, NFL creates a minor league, maybe off season, to develop players. High school players can take the money or go to school. If they go to school, they have to stay 3 years.

For the rest, NCAA should limit coaches pay to $1M then allocate enough money from TV contracts so all schlorship players get the same $s a month. Football pay should come from football TV money, basketball pay from basketball TV money, etc.
Was just about to post about making it like MiLB, but eliminating scholarships altogether. If you want to get paid to play then take your fair share. Anyone think this will be good for the general population of SA’s? Even just in football and basketball?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I won't pretend to know what Bryce was feeling or what his brain was telling him, but if one of his main concerns was his family being without shelter or food, his choosing of suicide did not improve that situation. I don't think he thought it through and believed that with him gone, a bunch of people would raise $$ for his mom and brothers. Whether he left for college or left for eternity, the family, in his mind, would still be in a bad place. There is no parent that would not rather have their child and be hungry than be full without their child.

This was more about mental and emotional health obviously than anything else. There are shelters and food banks all over the country to help families in need. In many extended families, including mine, there are also family members who cannot fully take care of themselves, so the family members who can help do help.

I say all of this to say that I don't believe that Gowdy's main issue that led to his extremely unfortunate choice was $$ and his family's plight. There was more to it than that, but I guess it was a contributing factor. Suicide among teens and early adolescents has never been higher - there is such a sense of hopelessness and spiritual famine, and a lot of the prescription meds that kids are being fed are, in many cases, adding to the desire to think life is not worth living. These kids need fathers (or father figures) who love them unconditionally and unselfishly. So many either have absent fathers or the father that is there might as well be absent.

You're making it sound a million times more simple than it actually is, friend.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The issue of players getting paid more is a topic in it's own right but in regards to the Bryce situation the NCAA is brought up because he was a scholarship athlete. Yes, if athletes could get paid it would potentially solve this issue for a very small number of people. The problem is much broader than that and the NCAA isn't the organization that should be addressing that issue. Unfortunately the one we have is damn near useless and doesn't give a damn about the people that need it most.