Note from Juanyeh Thomas

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Again, thinking about the NFL and trying to tie that back to college football......how many NFL players have YouTube channels or Patreon accounts that they run? I can see, though, why those that are so inclined have a good argument that they should be allowed to do so.

I looked up the amount of money the Madden thing brings in, and the most recent data I could find is that Madden paid the NFLPA $50M in 2013 for the Madden license. That is old data, and maybe it has doubled in the last 6 years, so lets say it is now $100M/year. That works out to be ~$55k/player/year, so certainly not insignificant. It looks like the NFLPA stashes that money away for their "rainy day" fund, so it's not clear to me that the players actually see any of that directly. Let's assume that EA Sports would pay college football players half of what they pay NFL players, and then realizing that there are >2X the amount of P5 college football teams, and then again the fact that college football rosters are bigger than NFL rosters by about 1.5X, that works out to be ~$8k/year/CFB player. That certainly is not insignificant, but it also uses generous numbers and assumes that the money makes it to the players and isn't siphoned off by any middle men.

I'm a free market person to the core, so I want to err in that direction. I just don't see that the funds are there from endorsements and likeness deals to make a large difference. Then again, I am thinking about this from the vantage point of an adult, and must remember that $8,000 would have been a large sum of money to me as a college student.

What is the value of the stipends that the guys receive? Am I remembering correctly that it is in the $3k range per year?

One huge difference between NFL and college is the compensation. If you're making the minimum for an active roster player you're making $480k. You don't necessarily need a side hustle if you're making that. Even if you're practice squad you're making $8k/week

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think you all are missing the point. Allowing the free market will create an even larger imbalance in the distribution of top tier talent. Boosters will use this as a way to entice top talent to their school. There would be bidding wars. How many GT boosters do you think would shell out some serious coin to secure Brock Vandagriff and a couple of 5* DT's?, especially if it were legal and there would be no blow-back on the school. Think about a team of only 5* players at Oregon and Oklahoma State.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Because it isn't getting paid.
1) you can choose how you spend the money you get paid, you can't choose on a "free ride"
2) when you are paid you are taxed on the pay. You aren't taxed on a "free ride".

These points are like the question which came first the chicken or the egg.

Free rides in any other business approach enhances personal liquid assets which means if you aren’t paying for X then you can pay for Y. If I’m not obligated to pay a student loan then I can buy a house, car or meal easier because I have the money to do so.

Tax policy has nothing to do with being paid. You can be paid $ 100,000 and have $ 100,000 in deductions and therefore not pay taxes. Waiters, delivery people and others in the service industries who get paid by tip certainly dont get taxed on everything they actually make.

IMO. saying that someone receiving a free college education which will in turn likely land them a 6 figure job is ludicrous. A normal student pays tuition and then seeks employment in one area of life. A college athlete doesn’t pay tuition, seeks employment in his or her education field AND has the possibility of a pro career BECAUSE they played for the college, in most cases.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you all are missing the point. Allowing the free market will create an even larger imbalance in the distribution of top tier talent. Boosters will use this as a way to entice top talent to their school. There would be bidding wars. How many GT boosters do you think would shell out some serious coin to secure Brock Vandagriff and a couple of 5* DT's?, especially if it were legal and there would be no blow-back on the school. Think about a team of only 5* players at Oregon and Oklahoma State.

I'm not missing that point, I just think it's overblown. Are there not bidding wars already? Haven't we all heard about the bidding war for Cam Newton? Didn't CPJ share how much it would cost to get a top tier DL on that market? The imbalance is already here

And there's what 25-30 5 stars per year right? You're suggesting 2 teams are going to get all of them every year? I don't see that happening. I think it's a doomsday prediction. So if it happens there will be the same 4-5 teams in the playoffs every year? Uhhhhhhhh....

It just seems like the top teams have their systems in place to pay players and all the other players on the non-blue blood programs are the only ones held accountable. See: 2009

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
This entire conversation fails to recognize the word barter. Is it not a form of bartering when a kid says I’ll bring my talent to your school ( for which the school will monetarily benefit via ticket a other sales) in exchange for a free education from which the student will financially benefit throughout his or her entire life ?

The relationship is between the student and the school isnt it ? Payment for value is up to the parties.

School funding is a problem in all this too. If UGA pays athletes via state funding, be it tax breaks or fees then why shouldn’t Valdosta St get the exact same resources so they can pay student athletes and enhance their sports programs ( meaning make them more lucrative)

I mean if my neighbor helps paint my house in exchange for a case of beer does he then have legal claim to a % of the sale of my house ? Does he owe me retroactively for the beer I gave him if he decides 3 years afterwards that he wants 10% of the sale because I profited off his work ? By the same token dont all the contractors have a claim on my house sale if they built it ?

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not missing that point, I just think it's overblown. Are there not bidding wars already? Haven't we all heard about the bidding war for Cam Newton? Didn't CPJ share how much it would cost to get a top tier DL on that market? The imbalance is already here

And there's what 25-30 5 stars per year right? You're suggesting 2 teams are going to get all of them every year? I don't see that happening. I think it's a doomsday prediction. So if it happens there will be the same 4-5 teams in the playoffs every year? Uhhhhhhhh....

It just seems like the top teams have their systems in place to pay players and all the other players on the non-blue blood programs are the only ones held accountable. See: 2009
I'm saying the T Boone Pickens and Phil Knight might decide that they want an entire team of 5* players and make it happen. Now I realize Pickens just died, but you get the idea.

FLTech

Georgia Tech Fan
I am against paying players but finding a way to ensure families have food water and shelter seems doable.

This. The players will be fine with their education, free food, free housing, etc. but I truly wish that families of these college athletes can get some kind of reimbursement. Remember, the parents are the ones who made the kids dedicated by taking them to all of the practices, games, spending money on their gear, etc

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
These points are like the question which came first the chicken or the egg.

Free rides in any other business approach enhances personal liquid assets which means if you aren’t paying for X then you can pay for Y. If I’m not obligated to pay a student loan then I can buy a house, car or meal easier because I have the money to do so.

Tax policy has nothing to do with being paid. You can be paid $ 100,000 and have $ 100,000 in deductions and therefore not pay taxes. Waiters, delivery people and others in the service industries who get paid by tip certainly dont get taxed on everything they actually make.

IMO. saying that someone receiving a free college education which will in turn likely land them a 6 figure job is ludicrous. A normal student pays tuition and then seeks employment in one area of life. A college athlete doesn’t pay tuition, seeks employment in his or her education field AND has the possibility of a pro career BECAUSE they played for the college, in most cases.
I don’t disagree that a degree can have value. However free college is not a liquid asset as you can’t transfer it to anyone else in exchange for anything. If you weren’t planning to go to college before football opened the door for you then you never had plans to be spending money on college in the first place. So in a case like this one the college scholarship offered no near term relief from their financial situation and in fact blocks avenues for near term relief due to NCAA rules.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This. The players will be fine with their education, free food, free housing, etc. but I truly wish that families of these college athletes can get some kind of reimbursement. Remember, the parents are the ones who made the kids dedicated by taking them to all of the practices, games, spending money on their gear, etc

A friend of mine started gymnastics at 4 years of age. Practiced every day for 2 hours at 4am and 4pm. Attended camps. Hired a famous coach. Qualified for the US Olympic team.

She should be paid. Society must reimburse her the cost of her dedication. We owe it to her and her parents to redistribute income fairly.

Welcome to the Karl Marx Athletic Association.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don’t disagree that a degree can have value. However free college is not a liquid asset as you can’t transfer it to anyone else in exchange for anything. If you weren’t planning to go to college before football opened the door for you then you never had plans to be spending money on college in the first place. So in a case like this one the college scholarship offered no near term relief from their financial situation and in fact blocks avenues for near term relief due to NCAA rules.

If you don’t want a degree, don’t pursue a grant in aid. There’s always barber school.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck

Free college is a liquid asset by virtue of not being obligated to the cost of college. The net value to the player is no college loan, no debt for 20 years and a degree, at worst the athlete is financially neutral. Free college It’s a liquid asset due to fact that you are in college without any cost, potentially earning an education that will, especially at Tech, show it’s value when you graduate. If you got into college free via football then the only possible issue you face is not going pro. Otherwise your asset ( free college) is paying you each day you go to class and increases in value when you use that degree to become an engineer or financial advisor in the private sector. Ask Dewberry how his college degree with no debt worked out. If you don’t go pro and you graduate the value is still obvious. If football doesn’t work out you will return to your pre college life debt free, hardly a burden. If you got into Tech I doubt your future is dim even if you drop out.

The no near term relief you speak of seems to indicate that you believe the act of going to college is a job which should relieve you of your financial situation ( I assume you mean poverty ). A normal student sees no near term relief until after college when they get a well paying job but are then still stuck with the entire student loan to pay off. So if The NCAA is blocking avenues it’s because Main Street is wide open for you if you are on the free ride.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Free college is a liquid asset by virtue of not being obligated to the cost of college. The net value to the player is no college loan, no debt for 20 years and a degree, at worst the athlete is financially neutral. Free college It’s a liquid asset due to fact that you are in college without any cost, potentially earning an education that will, especially at Tech, show it’s value when you graduate. If you got into college free via football then the only possible issue you face is not going pro. Otherwise your asset ( free college) is paying you each day you go to class and increases in value when you use that degree to become an engineer or financial advisor in the private sector. Ask Dewberry how his college degree with no debt worked out. If you don’t go pro and you graduate the value is still obvious. If football doesn’t work out you will return to your pre college life debt free, hardly a burden. If you got into Tech I doubt your future is dim even if you drop out.

The no near term relief you speak of seems to indicate that you believe the act of going to college is a job which should relieve you of your financial situation ( I assume you mean poverty ). A normal student sees no near term relief until after college when they get a well paying job but are then still stuck with the entire student loan to pay off. So if The NCAA is blocking avenues it’s because Main Street is wide open for you if you are on the free ride.
We are arguing semantics at this point. We likely agree there is potentially meaningful long term value in a degree and so receiving that education for free has wonderful value that most people don't receive. We likely agree that for someone who was already planning to go to college and pay for it they now have alternatives with which to spend that money that was intended for college. We also possibly agree that people have choices and one doesn't have to go to college especially if ones family would be better served by near term income that they could provide by getting a job.

However on simple facts I don't agree its a "liquid asset". "Liquid assets" are defined as "an asset in the form of money or cash in hand, or an asset which can be quickly converted into cash without losing much value." There was no way for Bryce to "quickly" take his scholarship money and convert it to cash that he could use to help his family.

Now does the world of college sports have to change to fix this situation? I don't believe every bad situation requires institutions or governments to "do something". Often times the actions, while well intentioned and possibly even resolving the situation, have other profound unanticipated consequences that leaves the world a worse place.

My personal path forward would be to eliminate rules rather than shuffle them around. Let schools be free to distribute funds as they see fit which would include cash instead of or in addition to direct scholarship. Let kids be free to get jobs on the side so they can provide for family if they can make the time. Let school boosters be free to contribute to GoFundMe to raise money. Allow SA's the freedom to be paid for things like their likeness or signature.

Would this have the "unintended consequences" I spoke of before? It seems almost certainly. It likely means all of the largest schools would get all of the best athletes as they would have the donor base to attract kids. The rest of the schools would have to work with the rest of the kids to make them better athletes and very very occasionally something special would happen. Oh wait...

It could also mean the collapse of big time college sports and I am OK with that outcome. I suspect, but who knows, something else will rise in its place that is actually better in the total.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We are arguing semantics at this point. We likely agree there is potentially meaningful long term value in a degree and so receiving that education for free has wonderful value that most people don't receive. We likely agree that for someone who was already planning to go to college and pay for it they now have alternatives with which to spend that money that was intended for college. We also possibly agree that people have choices and one doesn't have to go to college especially if ones family would be better served by near term income that they could provide by getting a job.

However on simple facts I don't agree its a "liquid asset". "Liquid assets" are defined as "an asset in the form of money or cash in hand, or an asset which can be quickly converted into cash without losing much value." There was no way for Bryce to "quickly" take his scholarship money and convert it to cash that he could use to help his family.

Now does the world of college sports have to change to fix this situation? I don't believe every bad situation requires institutions or governments to "do something". Often times the actions, while well intentioned and possibly even resolving the situation, have other profound unanticipated consequences that leaves the world a worse place.

My personal path forward would be to eliminate rules rather than shuffle them around. Let schools be free to distribute funds as they see fit which would include cash instead of or in addition to direct scholarship. Let kids be free to get jobs on the side so they can provide for family if they can make the time. Let school boosters be free to contribute to GoFundMe to raise money. Allow SA's the freedom to be paid for things like their likeness or signature.

Would this have the "unintended consequences" I spoke of before? It seems almost certainly. It likely means all of the largest schools would get all of the best athletes as they would have the donor base to attract kids. The rest of the schools would have to work with the rest of the kids to make them better athletes and very very occasionally something special would happen. Oh wait...

It could also mean the collapse of big time college sports and I am OK with that outcome. I suspect, but who knows, something else will rise in its place that is actually better in the total.

Good post. If kids are in such need, structure a ROTC like program. GT will pay you 5K a month while you are in school and cover the out of state fees, but ... studentS are responsible to pay the state portion of their tuition AND ... owe Tech 5 years of service after getting their degree. In return, students can do whatever they want to earn extra money, within reason.

Tech can either put them to work in the state (thus expanding their community service work and visibility) or ... create a secondary market to sell the contract to say, the NFL for those 1% that can make it, or move them to the military.

In the end, no matter what program is offered, I predict no one will like it. People want to have their cake and eat it too.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck

Not arguing just talking.

With that said, I guess the thing that blocks me is that it seems that we are ignoring the monetary impact that college has on regular students in favor of the impact it has (I think perceived) on the SA. There seems to be a trend toward hardship being associated with student athletes while we ignore the general hardships for any student. How do you qualify and differentiate between the two ? One student has to bust his/her *** through high school just to qualify for college ( a good one), deal with class and study schedules and a lack of money AS they assume student loan debt the entire time. The other may or may not have to bust their *** academically to qualify ( depends on the school ), often ends up with a softer schedule and a “mentor” as they choose to participate in a sport, which could make them hundreds of thousands of dollars after they get their free education. Applied evenly, The money disadvantage is the same going in for both students, the burden of long term debt (or any debt at all) is lifted by the scholarships, paying athletes effectively gives them favored status. This will essentially prioritize the SA over a regular student. How does that rectify financial burdens, if that’s the real goal, when the regular students are working toward a professional goal also ?

Why should you get a financial break for being an athlete that the perspective doctor, lawyer, astrophysicist, nuclear physicist or engineer doesn’t get ? Wouldn't all turn into alums who are likely going to turn into boosters and contributors to the school ? Don’t they all stand to make millions off of the same education ?

I mean I have no problem with relaxing or eliminating the NCAA rules but we should understand that both types of students likely face the same financial hardships going in. I don’t know the numbers but I’ll bet it’s likely that SA’s far outnumber academics in the number of free rides passed out at each college in this country.

I think in a world of hardships we are splitting the baby by giving people, who are already getting a free ride, the title of financially burdened, overburdened, needy or any other label that would indicate they are worse off than a normal student. We are also affixing a different value on the degrees, with the non paying degree holder getting more out attending school than the paying degree holder. Man wouldn’t it be nice if we could all obtain a free degree in Robotics and throw a baseball 100 MPH ?

I also think we could end up in a place where this closes the opportunities for the mid line student who doesn’t know the difference between a football and a baseball. Why wouldn't we pay the non student athletes also If hardship is the consideration ? Certainly we would all agree they are at least more financially burdened considering they are actually paying/expected to pay for their education. The school will likely get a financial benefit from their studies in the form of corporate or private contributions/aid which in effect uses the non athlete students as R&D employees for private corporate and scientific communities around the world. There is also the more nuanced aspect of ownership when a non athletic student discovers or invents something new in the school environment. Who owns the formula that cures cancer if it’s discovered at a college ? I think we all know who will claim to own it.

I’m not anti pay at all but I am anti disadvantage. I just can’t wrap my head around the idea that a student is at a disadvantage by getting a $300,000.00 education free, so much so that they now need to actually be paid a salary, by the school who is giving them the free education, essentially for getting the free degree. Seems evident that the school is actively picking winners and loses. In this scenario you are actually the chosen loser if you aren’t able to play a sport. You get no salary and you have student debt.

It’s either free college for everyone, with pay ( given the theory of paying SA’s ) essentially making going to school a job or eliminate sports scholarships all together. If a non athlete can manage the financial burdens of college they all can.

BTW if SAs are paid do they qualify as employees ? Can they unionize ? Medical insurance ? 401s, paid leave ? OT pay ? All of that will at some point get litigated.

Man if this logic were only around when I was young, I’d be on top of my world !

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not arguing just talking.

With that said, I guess the thing that blocks me is that it seems that we are ignoring the monetary impact that college has on regular students in favor of the impact it has (I think perceived) on the SA. There seems to be a trend toward hardship being associated with student athletes while we ignore the general hardships for any student. How do you qualify and differentiate between the two ? One student has to bust his/her *** through high school just to qualify for college ( a good one), deal with class and study schedules and a lack of money AS they assume student loan debt the entire time. The other may or may not have to bust their *** academically to qualify ( depends on the school ), often ends up with a softer schedule and a “mentor” as they choose to participate in a sport, which could make them hundreds of thousands of dollars after they get their free education. Applied evenly, The money disadvantage is the same going in for both students, the burden of long term debt (or any debt at all) is lifted by the scholarships, paying athletes effectively gives them favored status. This will essentially prioritize the SA over a regular student. How does that rectify financial burdens, if that’s the real goal, when the regular students are working toward a professional goal also ?

Why should you get a financial break for being an athlete that the perspective doctor, lawyer, astrophysicist, nuclear physicist or engineer doesn’t get ? Wouldn't all turn into alums who are likely going to turn into boosters and contributors to the school ? Don’t they all stand to make millions off of the same education ?

I mean I have no problem with relaxing or eliminating the NCAA rules but we should understand that both types of students likely face the same financial hardships going in. I don’t know the numbers but I’ll bet it’s likely that SA’s far outnumber academics in the number of free rides passed out at each college in this country.

I think in a world of hardships we are splitting the baby by giving people, who are already getting a free ride, the title of financially burdened, overburdened, needy or any other label that would indicate they are worse off than a normal student. We are also affixing a different value on the degrees, with the non paying degree holder getting more out attending school than the paying degree holder. Man wouldn’t it be nice if we could all obtain a free degree in Robotics and throw a baseball 100 MPH ?

I also think we could end up in a place where this closes the opportunities for the mid line student who doesn’t know the difference between a football and a baseball. Why wouldn't we pay the non student athletes also If hardship is the consideration ? Certainly we would all agree they are at least more financially burdened considering they are actually paying/expected to pay for their education. The school will likely get a financial benefit from their studies in the form of corporate or private contributions/aid which in effect uses the non athlete students as R&D employees for private corporate and scientific communities around the world. There is also the more nuanced aspect of ownership when a non athletic student discovers or invents something new in the school environment. Who owns the formula that cures cancer if it’s discovered at a college ? I think we all know who will claim to own it.

I’m not anti pay at all but I am anti disadvantage. I just can’t wrap my head around the idea that a student is at a disadvantage by getting a $300,000.00 education free, so much so that they now need to actually be paid a salary, by the school who is giving them the free education, essentially for getting the free degree. Seems evident that the school is actively picking winners and loses. In this scenario you are actually the chosen loser if you aren’t able to play a sport. You get no salary and you have student debt.

It’s either free college for everyone, with pay ( given the theory of paying SA’s ) essentially making going to school a job or eliminate sports scholarships all together. If a non athlete can manage the financial burdens of college they all can.

BTW if SAs are paid do they qualify as employees ? Can they unionize ? Medical insurance ? 401s, paid leave ? OT pay ? All of that will at some point get litigated.

Man if this logic were only around when I was young, I’d be on top of my world !
Not arguing either, good conversation.

I am not trying to solve anyones hardship problems directly. I just think contrived obstacles to individuals solving their own problems should not exist. So schools can choose whatever contribution in whatever fashion they want to make. Same as they do or should do with other students. I am not insisting they pay student athletes although that should be an option available, same as other students. Similarly student athletes should be free to go get jobs, ask for handouts, sell their autograph, get endorsement deals or whatever. Same rights and treatment as the rest of the student body. That doesn't sound like too much to ask.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Similarly student athletes should be free to go get jobs, ask for handouts, sell their autograph, get endorsement deals or whatever. Same rights and treatment as the rest of the student body. That doesn't sound like too much to ask.

I don’t disagree but regular students don’t represent the school in a formal way. The GTAA licenses branding and marks from Tech and many of those rules are designed to uphold the value if the mark. For example, you wouldn’t want, “I’m Josh Nubaum, WR for the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. And after a hard fought game, I head over to the Cheetah ... 60 dancers on five stages. No cover with your ticket stub. And the absolute best in food at Alluvia Restaurant”.

So there have to be some rules.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t disagree but regular students don’t represent the school in a formal way. The GTAA licenses branding and marks from Tech and many of those rules are designed to uphold the value if the mark. For example, you wouldn’t want, “I’m Josh Nubaum, WR for the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. And after a hard fought game, I head over to the Cheetah ... 60 dancers on five stages. No cover with your ticket stub. And the absolute best in food at Alluvia Restaurant”.

So there have to be some rules.

Nice try, only 3 stages.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Do not disagree with this but you do not need a college degree to be a real estate investor... Dewberry could have not gone to college and done the same exact thing