Not sure when I've seen all the Tech boards so lifeless

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Pessimism everywhere.

Does anyone think we simply can't be as bad on offense as we looked in the last two weeks? That maybe some unusual set of circumstances led to the poor performance at South Bend and Durham? And that maybe playing in front of the home crowd against a lesser defense, we might see the offense we've been expecting show up?

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
Pessimism everywhere.

Does anyone think we simply can't be as bad on offense as we looked in the last two weeks? That maybe some unusual set of circumstances led to the poor performance at South Bend and Durham? And that maybe playing in front of the home crowd against a lesser defense, we might see the offense we've been expecting show up?
After watching the Duke very closely and examining the line play and blocking, I'm convinced we can fix this. People who have said we are not being physically dominated are correct.

Duke did some dangerous things and we did not make them pay. On short yardage they were baiting us into the dive read by standing up the DE, and then either sending the Mike on a run blitz, or bringing the guy standing in the A-gap straight to the dive. They won 3rd and 4th and short with these gambits.

We played right into their hands by giving the ball up the middle. But, we weren't getting terribly behind the sticks. Give Duke credit. They bet on our short yardage tendencies. They also played fast and confident, and 16 was excellent. It wasn't all 16 though, I give more credit to the DC.

We need to get more creative and run speed or power option wide, or rocket toss in short yardage. We have been a tad predictable. The QB draw seems to be our only answer for 3rd and 8, for example. They spied it and managed to trip up JT a few times.

The big plays are still out there. We do need better blocking, but it is just by degrees, IMO. I'm calling for more Marshall and Allen at BB. We need to hit homeruns to combat all the strikeouts, if you follow. Jeune can block at WR, can anyone else? Messick is just....well....I can't say anything nice.

Need to score 30 to win a close one. I expect us to get it done. 31-30.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I do believe we will be better tomorrow and am expecting us to wind up the day with perhaps high 20's or low 30's in points scored. No, I don't think we will be back to 2014 proportions in one week, so 31 is about the most I can see us scoring. Winning will depend on a very good effort by special teams (don't kill us this week, guys!) and defense.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Of course we can be as bad as we looked the last two weeks. I don't think we are, but I also didn't expect us to look that bad against either ND or Duke.

I don't believe UNC's defense is that much better than years past so that combined with playing at home should have us do better on offense. But the issue is that even if we have a great day, we'll be playing clemson the following week, and you still can't help but wonder if the improvement we, hopefully, saw against UNC was for real or if it was just the product of playing a bad defense. Playing clemson, and fsu two weeks after, also means it's going to be hard to build off of next week regardless.

The real hope, and I'ms shocked to be saying this, is the defense. The defense has played well, and if they can do well against UNC, which has had a pretty good offense the past couple of years, then they hopefully could ride that momentum into a keeping us in the clemson game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Back to watching one game at time. Not projecting or speculating about "turning it around" or regaining our lofty expectations for the season, just watching ball and hoping Tech at least puts out a good performance.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I have very little good to say so I am not saying much. I hope we make a bowl game this year and the seniors graduate. Not quite the expectation I had going into the year.

I don't give it much thought because whenever I try to think about it, I come to this same conclusion that practically every team on our schedule has shown more improvement than we.

However, CPJ has shown the ability in the past to get more out of our team than we should be able to give on paper. So, I'm not thinking about it much and being hopeful.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll be fine. I'm scared of the alternative...

Look, things are never as good or a as bad as they seem, so we probably bounce back...but I just worry about every game until I see us get it turned around. The weather for tomorrow just flat out scares me. If we turn the ball over early because of the weather, the team could easily start pressing again and we could all be b****ing again Saturday night and all next week.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have very little good to say so I am not saying much. I hope we make a bowl game this year and the seniors graduate. Not quite the expectation I had going into the year.
Maybe our expectations were a tad inflated. We graduated a ton of experience and talent. We had a gauntlet of a schedule. On top of that, we experience a ton of injuries from spring to the present. We also based a lot of our expectations on a veteran OL which our coach recently said weren't as good as everybody was giving them credit (wrt last year's success) and from which we lost the keystone player.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
My expectations were a little more tempered coming into this season because of the inexperience at the O skill positions. CPJ needs to make some adjustments with personnel and play calling...run Marcus Allen at B back and call more sweeps and short passes in space. Hope we can get it done but expecting an average season on the whole.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
We stunk the first 5 games of last year too. We aren't as good on O as we were last year but we are better on D.

I'm not selling my stock in GT yet - we have a few surprises in store that will be a lot easier to open now that no one is talking about us.

SavannahBee

Georgia Tech Fan
A home game will cure what ails us. Just need a good win to restore the confidence that was lost in South Bend. ACC schedule is just getting started. Lot's of football yet to play.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I think everyone is waiting for this week, and being 2-2 means we aren't poll watching as much.
There's only so many ways to say we need to play better. It is much more fun to hand out superlatives than analyze what went wrong.

GTMD

Georgia Tech Fan

I think the built up expectations for the season and the crash after the Duke loss are difficult pills for any fan base. Still here but excitement about the season not where it was a month ago.

On the bright side, it could be worse- we could be Auburn or Arkansas fans