Northwestern South ??

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Too bad we don't have NC State fans. Their team usually isn't as good as ours and the NC State stadium (although smaller) is sold out every week.

We have to enjoy what we have. We don't have a choice; except to ***** and make ourselves miserable.
I live near Raleigh. There really isn't much else to do up here unless you play golf or fish.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No, they don't. No offense, but "rationality" is only a very small part of how purchase decisions are made. If you do not understand the field of consumer behavior, you make selling a product very, very difficult. Decisions are affected by a number of different variables and it's important to know those when developing a strategy. Again, I see a lot of parallels between marketing a product and recruiting an SA. It's becoming ever more clear that ... we don't do the process at a mature level.

I would imagine marketing underarm deodorant and an alma mater are two quite different things. There is some crossover, but markedly different strategies are called for. We need to market what we have to offer. Straight up. No jingles, no blurbs, no horse hockey required. Give them a vision of playing in a power-5 conference while getting a degree in the field they're bent towards, one that we excel in. It's more about finding them and targeting them with precision than it is about marketing.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would imagine marketing underarm deodorant and an alma mater are two quite different things. There is some crossover, but markedly different strategies are called for. We need to market what we have to offer. Straight up. No jingles, no blurbs, no horse hockey required. Give them a vision of playing in a power-5 conference while getting a degree in the field they're bent towards, one that we excel in. It's more about finding them and targeting them with precision than it is about marketing.

That's why you are going to fail.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Too bad we don't have NC State fans. Their team usually isn't as good as ours and the NC State stadium (although smaller) is sold out every week.

We have to enjoy what we have. We don't have a choice; except to ***** and make ourselves miserable.
To be fair, N C State has probably twice as many alumni in the immediate area of their stadium as GT does. Size matters when it comes to stadium attendance. ;)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
As a football aside.

I see that the 2nd string Clemson qb (hunter) went to Northwestern because Clemson got the top pro style qb recruit (Lawrence) who played at Cartersville ga.

From watching interviews they both seem bright.

In general qb seem brighter than most players so that opens up more potential recruits. The down side is so few hs teams actually pass first run second. Although pass happy h s are still winning texas state championships ( Manvel tx hs coach now the qb coach at Syracuse)

Obviously both hunter and Lawrence liked Clemson football but due to only so many available brass hats And both wanting to play , one went to northwestern BUT not ga tech.
While both schools have great academic reputations, we have 2 strikes against us. We have lmited degree offerings and an offense that does not feature passing AT ALL.

To get a recruit like the cartersville ( 40 miles from gt) kid it would take a super recruiting effort and a commitment to a passing attack.

If we ever change from this offense , I think a pass first offense is the right idea.
Georgia Tech has never gotten a 5 star recruit ever. That doesn't mean we should except the status quo, and I am glad we are finally investing resources into upping our game. It would be wise though for fans to temper their expectations. Switching to a pass heavy offense isn't going to lead to 5 star qbs lining up at our door.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech has never gotten a 5 star recruit ever. That doesn't mean we should except the status quo, and I am glad we are finally investing resources into upping our game. It would be wise though for fans to temper their expectations. Switching to a pass heavy offense isn't going to lead to 5 star qbs lining up at our door.
I never said it would lead to 5 stars lining up at our door.

Why did u add that?

U sure won that red herring argument.

Sorry, i am shirt w u.

I am exhausted from driving 7 hours to atl. Will be loud and proud at 3:30 . See u in the heat! Most of your posts are very logical.
Trust me Andy can recruit!

Last edited:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I never said it would lead to 5 stars lining up at our door.

Why did u add that?

U sure won that red herring argument.

Sorry, i am shirt w u.

I am exhausted from driving 7 hours to atl. Will be loud and proud at 3:30 . See u in the heat! Most of your posts are very logical.
Trust me Andy can recruit!
I didn't mean to imply that you thought we'd have 5 stars lining up. I mainly just wanted to highlight that we even struggled with getting a decent QB with Calvin Johnson on the roster.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That's why you are going to fail.

Convincing many on this board of the value of marketing, sales, or even simply soft skills is a lost cause.

Most engineers don’t undertand marketing or sales. Many of them think products should sell themselves and are openly disdainful of sales and marketing.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Convincing many on this board of the value of marketing, sales, or even simply soft skills is a lost cause.

Most engineers don’t undertand marketing or sales. Many of them think products should sell themselves and are openly disdainful of sales and marketing.

Thanks. You are correct. I was weak.

Ironically, the best MBA students are engineers. They excel at the quantitative skills necessary to be successful.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Not entirely true but I do prefer to leave marketing and sales to the dumb masses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Also NCST doesn't average a sellout. Not even close. They just give a crap about all those games against NC schools because they can't beat them at basketball.

[emoji23] I never thought about that but that sounds abut right.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not entirely true but I do prefer to leave marketing and sales to the dumb masses.

Indeed. What some don't get is that marketing to the dumb masses and marketing to smart kids who might like to play in a power-5 conference while getting a top-notch degree require two different approaches. One requires a catchy jingle, the other requires the simple truth.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Indeed. What some don't get is that marketing to the dumb masses and marketing to smart kids who might like to play in a power-5 conference while getting a top-notch degree require two different approaches. One requires a catchy jingle, the other requires the simple truth.

I pray the GTAA doesn’t think this way.