North Carolina @ Georgia Tech, Wednesday January 30th at 8pm

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I swear...Some of y’all never cease to amaze me. LOL - what did you see in your expert opinion that he has miles to go?

Seriously, if you can look at last nights game and think that CJP doesn’t deserve credit, in some form for the W, then either you weren’t watching closely enough or you have an agenda or both.

The game plan and adjustments/switching up on D, and playing our guys that had foul trouble are what helped us win this game.

Would love for you to educate us.
I'll leave it at this, I don't need to educate anyone.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
so does anyone have any idea how good we actually are? this year seems kind of crazy as a whole for CBB with the only constant being Gonzaga annihilating everyone

Compared to last year we are shooting 3s at nearly the same rate we did in conference play last year. We've reduced our turnovers from dead last at 16 per game in conference last year to 4th at 12 per game this year. We're nearly identical in FG% as well but a good bit worse in FG% defense. We're a good bit worse in rebounding margin. Defensively we've basically traded two blocks a game for two steals a game. We're about 2 assists per game better than last year. Obviously level of opponents and sample size make it hard to judge too accurately.

Overall I would say at the moment we're worse than we were in the back half of ACC play last year but still in the middle of the pack. Offensively we're about the same %wise with significantly fewer turnovers so we're clearly better offensively. However we are significantly worse defensively and I don't think at the moment the offense is making up for it. If we can get to 37-38% from 3 on ~25 attempts per game then it will probably make up for it. IMO for us to improve on where we were at the end of last year we need one of three things to happen. Either Bubba needs to step up and consistently be a third guard that justifies going 3 guard as a base, put Moore in and focus on using his defense to improve the overall team defense, or go with an actual center and try to improve on last year by improving at the other 4 spots to make up for the drop off at the 5 spot.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have been a Pastner nay-sayer since those two early season losses. Haven't posted since because....well, who wants a Negative Nancy always complaining on their message board? So I left it all alone.

As nice as last night's win is, I remain negative. Until Pastner can show me consistent success, I will remain in that corner. His teams have always seemed to show flashes, beat a couple of teams they shouldn't, and then lose to teams that they should beat. I'll start eating crow when we go on an ACC winning streak, or avoid some of those head-scratching losses that always seem to follow a decent win.

I'll go away again now and leave you all in peace because...as I said...who wants to listen to a doom and gloom guy?

Baseball season is coming. Then we can both praise the assistant coacheso_O

I have always liked Pastner for his style and youthful attitude. I don't understand basketball enough to comment on how good of a coach he is. (Of course football coaching is another matter best left till next year.)

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice win and credit to our players last night, but our coach has miles to go.

LOL - what did you see in your expert opinion that he has miles to go? If you can look at last nights game and think that CJP doesn’t deserve credit, you weren’t watching closely enough.

The game plan and adjustments/switching up on D, and playing our guys that had foul trouble are what helped us win this game.

I'll leave it at this, I don't need to educate anyone.

(y)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
LOL - what did you see in your expert opinion that he has miles to go? If you can look at last nights game and think that CJP doesn’t deserve credit, you weren’t watching closely enough.

(y)

Is doing better in the second half than the first half evidence of good coaching?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Is doing better in the second half than the first half evidence of good coaching?
I'd say yes. Came in with a game plan that didn't seem to be working. Adjusted at halftime and executed better in the second half. I'd say that is evidence of good coaching.

Also, I think the guys played better in the second half than in the first half. Looked loose and sloppy in the first half. Much tighter in the second half. That may or may not be coaching.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This is what exp means--coming from behind and staying the course with effort and skill. If we could put up stats like this every game,we have a good chance every game. BUT--until we do it on the road vs a good team (unc is avg at best right now) ,it is still unproven. Remember this is what we've shot at for 4 yrs and beaking even is not good enough..

slugboy

Staff member
I thought a big difference was Devoe playing better in the second half. I don’t know if we changed anything or if he just warmed up. With this offense, I have a hard time distinguishing individual effort from coaching.
I saw us trying and failing to set screens all game. The steals were awesome. Offensive rebounding wasn’t a thing (we got one all game). Our shooting percentage took a major step up in the second half though, and that’s one big factor in the win

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Everytime

that said, simply making open shots makes the game so much easier. Defeating that UNC team with that front court with our own front court limitations is a statement. I thought Usher played maybe his best game since Boise State of last season though the box would t support that claim. When Bubba is making triples this team is exponentially better. I like our seven with our five plus Moore and Sturdy.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Everytime

that said, simply making open shots makes the game so much easier. Defeating that UNC team with that front court with our own front court limitations is a statement. I thought Usher played maybe his best game since Boise State of last season though the box would t support that claim. When Bubba is making triples this team is exponentially better. I like our seven with our five plus Moore and Sturdy.
Making open shots is the key. If we could go above 50% on open shots we'd win most games. We move the ball well