No Wonder We Were So Good !

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Younsters will probably poo poo this as old school and only for old guys but if you want to see how Dodd could charm a room go to Bobby Dodd on utube and you should see a 4 part series of Dodd at the Ga Bulldog Club in Decatur..He is funny with homespun syrup mouth jokes but they are funny and then in part four he starts telling folks about how Tech was successful during his tenure at the helm.....If you are a football fan some things just dont go away so..listen to the Grey Fox and I think you will be surprised at how much he knew about the game.He also in part 1 and 2 gives a pretty good impression of how the option was run then ...it looks familiar.Okay rambling about the good times but hey .......its Christmas and in my opinion worth a shot.......Merry Christmas to all.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Can you imagine old Grey Fox in living room with your parents telling them he will graduate you and let you play some good football in Atlanta ! I still like his idea of what makes a successful team etc....no wonder we won !

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Can you imagine old Grey Fox in living room with your parents telling them he will graduate you and let you play some good football in Atlanta ! I still like his idea of what makes a successful team etc....no wonder we won !

"Either love your players or get out of coaching." "We're not miracle workers, but if you send us a good boy to Georgia Tech, we will send you a good boy home." ...

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Another thing on recruiting:
bobby_dodd.jpg

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Not taking anything away from the "the Man", but almost any recruit could get into Tech then, plus he could field a great team just from the Boys High program. Ahhh the good old days.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
That was awesome. Mack, thanks for starting the thread and LexJacket, thank you very much for posting those YouTube videos. I sat there and listened to Dodd speak and laughed as I listened to a great Tech man speak.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
That was awesome. Mack, thanks for starting the thread and LexJacket, thank you very much for postingc those YouTube videos. I sat there and listened to Dodd speak and laughed as I listened to a great Tech man speak.[/quo. te] funny thing ....even die hard Georgie fans. Liked him......

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Of course I messed my reply to daBuzz but I meant that Dodd was so well liked by all fans even ...........georgie fans...........

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Guys if you want to see more.....Bill Curry wrote about Dodd in his book and it is quite revealing.....Dodd cared for his players but he expected results from them too.....Curry said Dodd knew everything about every player at tech.........it is pretty good reading...............

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys if you want to see more.....Bill Curry wrote about Dodd in his book and it is quite revealing.....Dodd cared for his players but he expected results from them too.....Curry said Dodd knew everything about every player at tech.........it is pretty good reading...............

I agree. I thought Curry's book was outstanding.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yep good book and you can bet it aint in any libary in our neck of the woods.....................If it doesnt have a G on it we dont see it.........thats how bad we are at promoting Tech football outside of Atlanta.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
TheSilasSonRising: The absolute best way to recruit is to have a coach that is respected and wins most of his games. Few players want to go to losing or mediocre programs. The coach is the most important ingredient in winning. If he is a winner, he will attact better players. This is a fact that always holds true. History shows that a coach first establishes himself with winning and being respected by the players. He first wins without the big star players, then his record attracts the big star players, then he is wanted by all the other teams looking for a coach. When you see a coach being offered better jobs every year, then you know you have a good coach. Bobby Dodd was offered the Texas job for way more money than he was being paid at Tech, but turned it down to stay at Tech. He told Texas that their best bet was to hire Darrel Royall and they took his advice. Texas became an instant winner with Darrell Royal.

You understand the reason for winning.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
There are lots of great stories about Bobby. The slogan of the day was "In Dodd We Trust". I recall him addressing the players immediately after the last practice before the Kentucky game. He said, "Fellas, the odds makers have us at 50-50 going against Kentucky. That's all we ever ask...just an even chance."

There was little question in anybody's mind that Bobby was the best sideline coach in football. And it was a near certainty that if Tech was still in the ball game at halftime, Tech would win the game. When players had to play both offense and defense, Bobby recruited for defensive ability. There were a lot of low scoring games, especially with Tech quick-kicking on third down a lot, but Bobby didn't want to beat himself. He figured that if you had to go eighty or more yards to get a touchdown, you would probably make a mistake. He would rather the opponent make the mistakes...which would generally wind up being fatal.

I recall another time Bobby addressed a local alumni group and was introduced by Billy Shaw. This was a number of years after Bobby had retired from coaching. In his introduction, Billy said, "A lot of alumni had the wrong impression of Coach Dodd. You may have thought he was a kind, easy-going and gentle man that spoke softly but carried a big stick. Well, if you ever played for Coach Dodd, you know that he was easy-going only when we won. The last thing you wanted in life was to go to practice and face Coach Dodd on a Monday after a loss on Saturday."

Mack

Helluva Engineer
How do we propose to promote without winning the darn game? Seems that would be the best "promotion."
certainly that would help but why are we stuck within a fifty mile radius of Atlanta? Go to sport stores and walk the sport section and look what you see....be willing to bet very little tech gear.No coaches speaking to td clubs...no coaches dropping in to class Aa schools...all this has been hashed out before but......we need to yes win games but also start a pr plan to combat Georgie..

Mack

Helluva Engineer
There are lots of great stories about Bobby. The slogan of the day was "In Dodd We Trust". I recall him addressing the players immediately after the last practice before the Kentucky game. He said, "Fellas, the odds makers have us at 50-50 going against Kentucky. That's all we ever ask...just an even chance."

There was little question in anybody's mind that Bobby was the best sideline coach in football. And it was a near certainty that if Tech was still in the ball game at halftime, Tech would win the game. When players had to play both offense and defense, Bobby recruited for defensive ability. There were a lot of low scoring games, especially with Tech quick-kicking on third down a lot, but Bobby didn't want to beat himself. He figured that if you had to go eighty or more yards to get a touchdown, you would probably make a mistake. He would rather the opponent make the mistakes...which would generally wind up being fatal.

I recall another time Bobby addressed a local alumni group and was introduced by Billy Shaw. This was a number of years after Bobby had retired from coaching. In his introduction, Billy said, "A lot of alumni had the wrong impression of Coach Dodd. You may have thought he was a kind, easy-going and gentle man that spoke softly but carried a big stick. Well, if you ever played for Coach Dodd, you know that he was easy-going only when we won. The last thing you wanted in life was to go to practice and face Coach Dodd on a Monday after a loss on Saturday."

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yep my friend Tommy Bliek said he made a mistake once and Coach Dodd told him he had run off Billy Teas and would do the same to him...He got Tommies attention.