No athletics activities on Election Day

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
?
If they don't vote absentee, where do students go to vote while in school? Where is their "precinct"?

Assuming, I guess, they are living on campus.

Some of the student-athletes are local, so they could go vote in their own precinct. However, I think the idea is more to impress upon the student-athletes how important it is to vote. In the Mayor Bottoms speech she stressed that people can cause change peaceful protest and by voting, not by breaking and burning. I don't know if any of the student-athletes feel unheard or disenfranchised, but teaching young people the correct way to have their voice heard and to effect change is a good thing.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Some of the student-athletes are local, so they could go vote in their own precinct. However, I think the idea is more to impress upon the student-athletes how important it is to vote. In the Mayor Bottoms speech she stressed that people can cause change peaceful protest and by voting, not by breaking and burning. I don't know if any of the student-athletes feel unheard or disenfranchised, but teaching young people the correct way to have their voice heard and to effect change is a good thing.

Understand, but i am literally curious where they physically vote while a student.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Understand, but i am literally curious where they physically vote while a student.

BBall assistant coach Eric Reveno is discussing it with someone on his Twitter account. They would just vote by mail in/absentee ballot. It sounds like they will talk to out of state SAs the procedures to obtain their mail in voting ballots.

The no activities on Election Day for voting doesn't just mean SAs are getting off to go physically vote, it's also a symbolic gesture to the SAs of the importance of voting overall.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I think that depends on where they consider their residence to be. If they consider themselves to reside at their parents' address, then they would be register there. If they consider themselves to reside in their dorm/apartment/rental house, then they would register there.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
Seems to me to be all about PR. Why can't they vote absentee and the AA facilitate the process with the needed forms and helping the students with the process?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let's not obfuscate the message here everyone: GT is making a great gesture and teaching our SAs about the importance of voting and having their voices heard.

GT will work out the details on voting with each individual SA. Let's not get caught up in the details. Let's just be proud GT has been taking a lead throughout all of this instead of "leading from behind".

slugboy

Staff member