NL EAST 2020

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
OK... Time for a dedicated NL EAST thread... in my opinion.

Things are "unsettled" in the division. There will be a minimum of 2 teams making playoffs out of each division.

Miami has played the fewest games (10). The Braves... the most (18). That's 16.7% v 30.0%. Weird! Really weird.

I still like the Nationals chances. I predict the division being #1 Braves (comfortably) #2 Nationals (hopefully).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The seeding will be by winning percentage for the playoffs, not where you finish in your division.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
@Buzzbomb
What's the difference between winning % & where you finish in division? ...unless you mean if not all teams play a full 60 game schedule?

Last I read... the seeding for playoffs will be...
Div winners (#1-3)
Div runners up (#4-6)
2 wildcards (#7-8)

That setup could mean (for example) the #3 seed's record is worse than the #4.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Seeding: The winners of each division are awarded the top 3 seeds in each league. They are then seeded based on overall record. The 4th and 5th seeds will be the two teams with the best records outside of the division winners.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Seeding: The winners of each division are awarded the top 3 seeds in each league. They are then seeded based on overall record. The 4th and 5th seeds will be the two teams with the best records outside of the division winners.
There are 8 NL teams making post-season. I agree top 3 are division winners seeded by record. Then seeds 4-6 are the three 2nd-place teams in each division. Then 7 & 8 are the next 2 teams with best records.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Strasburg starting tonight after Nationals just "completed" a suspended game from his last start earlier today....a loss. He stands to record 2 decisions in one day as a starter in both games.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Would you trade pitching staffs with Atlanta, if it were possible?
Believe it or not... if you're ranking the Nationals "pieces", the bullpen is the leader going away.

Starting pitching is floundering with both Scherzer (hamstring) & Strasburg (hand) unable to get thru a couple innings in multiple starts.

Offense is middling... although, Soto back is worth watching all by himself.

Defense is meh too.

Injuries piling up.... suddenly a younger team.

I'm enjoying watching real baseball (over no baseball) but there doesn't seem to be any fire & excitement (energy) from the team.

Are you getting same from Braves?

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Believe it or not... if you're ranking the Nationals "pieces", the bullpen is the leader going away.

Starting pitching is floundering with both Scherzer (hamstring) & Strasburg (hand) unable to get thru a couple innings in multiple starts.

Offense is middling... although, Soto back is worth watching all by himself.

Defense is meh too.

Injuries piling up.... suddenly a younger team.

I'm enjoying watching real baseball (over no baseball) but there doesn't seem to be any fire & excitement (energy) from the team.

Are you getting same from Braves?
The Braves order has gone cold and we are missing 4 out of 5 starters (most for the year). I still see some excitement but this past week has been rough to say the least

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
At the "nearly" halfway point, my bold prediction...

1) ATLANTA wins NL EAST going away.
2) 2nd place goes to a sub-500 team who's record will not be top 8 in NL.

Setting up situation where 6-seed has a poorer record than 7 or 8 ... & at least one team not making playoffs at all.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Starting pitching for Atlanta will keep them from winning this “thing.” Hamels is with the team, however still hasn’t thrown off a mound. Tomlin went 3 innings, and 1 1/3 for Terrible Touki with baserunners all over the place. The other two in the rotation are “waiver wire type of pickups.” The trading deadline is next Monday, a week away. Hopefully they can get Newk and or Folty back in sync at some point in the next few months.

Looks like Acuna, Albies have been swinging their sticks, per Freddie Free. Get Kakes back from the quarantine and the bats should be solid. Fielding is good. Bullpen the strength, especially compared to teams like the Pillies. We know where a horrific ‘pen can take a team.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
If season ended today (it doesn't).... only 4 teams (half of the NL playoff field) would be above .500 (Braves, Cubs, Dodgers, Padres). Strange times.
Do you like the 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 seedings as we go through the playoffs?
I do favor the three game series in the home park of the higher seed to start off with in the Wildcard Round. Just not as big of an advantage without fans cheering. It was kind of comical watching the Phillie Fan-tastics(or whatever they call themselves)raving behind the CF plexiglass outside of the stadium, vs. Atl. last night.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing the target win total in the NL to make playoffs is 29... assuming 60 games played.

Means my Nationals must go 16-7 the rest of the way. Fat chance... the Braves could bury them this weekend.

Related note... will be pretty cool if in fact MLB manages to get the 60 game schedule in.