NIU HC Breaks Down Upset

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Well I don't think 22 personnel is an innovatife wrinkle like the article suggests; but it concerns me that we can consistently be in the wrong formation on defense and not know who the offense has on the field. I assume that is why we are always burning TOs, trying to change plays late, look confused, and even try to substitute during no huddles. That is 100% poor defensive coaching that hinders our players ability to be successful

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Select Quotes:

“After the first couple drives, I said, ‘Let’s get in ‘22’ and see who’s the tougher team,’ ” Hammock said Saturday night following the Huskies’ 22-21 upset win over the Yellow Jackets at Bobby Dodd Stadium. “We wanted to be physical and get after them and keep our defense off the field.”

"After the game, coach Geoff Collins said that Northern Illinois used a “unique package” on its first two touchdown drives. The 22 package would be it, instrumental in the Huskies’ 22-point production. Hammock said that the offense used it more against Tech on Saturday than it had in all of its six games last season combined."

"Even more, the Huskies employed some subterfuge in springing it. The offense huddled tight before the first play of the first scoring drive, making it more difficult to identify the personnel grouping, and then hurried to the line for a quick snap, springing running back Harrison Waylee for a nine-yard gain. Tech defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker responded by removing a defensive back from his base 4-2-5 defense (four down linemen, two linebackers, five defensive backs) and adding a linebacker to counter Northern Illinois’ beefy lineup."

stech81

Helluva Engineer
After reading this our defensive coaches are bad real bad. you come out with 2 tight ends 2 running backs and your head coach defensive coordinator and all the other coaches can't make an adjustment all game. And all the Head coach can say is they use a unique formation. I would think this is a formation you would see on inside the 10. And then on the last drive to have miscommunication not once but multiple times . I guess if we had not wasted timeouts we would call one and talk to the defense ,

Wake up AD start calling the big money people and find some coaches before it's too late

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Bottom line that says we were out coached, outplayed, and our defense couldn't pull her head out of there as*es sometimes. Oh and Sims missed some passes that could / should have been TDs.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Hella of a way to burn 🔥 through $1 million (as reported in a 247 article, don’t know if that’s accurate). to get beat @ home by a nobody team. Then to have a hometown paper publish a article solely for the purpose of embarrassment saying NIU put their big boy pants on and GT couldn’t man up enough to stop them. NIU exited $1 million dollars richer and sealed the casket ⚰️ on evening. How much we paying out to KSU next week? Hoping for much better results.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Paywalled. What does it say? A 50 word synopsis would be great.
NIU put a tight end and a fullback in the game and it took us 2-3 plays to adjust; then they went back to 3-wide and we had to burn a timeout we were so flummoxed. Out of the timeout they went back to the TE FB and we had the wrong personnel on the field again, and they scored a 35 yard TD. Lol.

it’s baffling that our Defensive Coaches are so thrown off by the other team substituting

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
it’s baffling that our Defensive Coaches are so thrown off by the other team substituting
I remember UCF last year. It was obvious that they were playing at a much higher pace than we were capable of matching from a mental prep standpoint. They were getting lined up and running plays while we were still trying to figure out what was going on. This is/was <apparently> just another example of us operating at a slower (OODA) Observe, Orient, Decide, Act cycle than our opposition. That's a bad thing in all forms of competition.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
NIU put a tight end and a fullback in the game and it took us 2-3 plays to adjust; then they went back to 3-wide and we had to burn a timeout we were so flummoxed. Out of the timeout they went back to the TE FB and we had the wrong personnel on the field again, and they scored a 35 yard TD. Lol.

Which defense coach is upstairs in the booth ?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
So the film is out on how to beat us. Use the "unique" 22 personnel formation, changing it up every once and awhile to make us burn TOs.