NIL values for FB and BB players

Thacker Backer

Georgia Tech Fan
I just saw a list of the expected top 100 NIL recipients. They were mostly college FB players, but a few college BB players, a couple high school BB players, and a couple HS FB player. The high schoolers included Arch Manning, Bronny James, and Shaqir O'Neal.

Georgia Tech did not have anyone in the top 100. Jahmyr Gibbs was #33 on the list at $632K. Bama and UGA both had 7 or 8 FB players on list. The list is from ON3NIL.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220611-135905_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220611-135905_Chrome.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 99

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Nil makes gt irrelevant as it does to many other programs. Football will die slowly because of this pandoras box imo. Its going to be a league of haves moreso than ever and it was already bad before this

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Nil makes gt irrelevant as it does to many other programs. Football will die slowly because of this pandoras box imo. Its going to be a league of haves moreso than ever and it was already bad before this
There will have to be some sort of commitment from many schools to stop playing around like they can compete against big money, and have a realistic division of football. Right now many schools on our level are not being reasonable and are probably afraid to break away. Let the money schools beat up on each other. My concern is the loss of television revenue if a super conference comes about.

JacketFan137

Banned
There will have to be some sort of commitment from many schools to stop playing around like they can compete against big money, and have a realistic division of football. Right now many schools on our level are not being reasonable and are probably afraid to break away. Let the money schools beat up on each other. My concern is the loss of television revenue if a super conference comes about.
there’s more money in being a fodder team that gets killed by super teams than breaking off to play with fcs/g5 teams. for example if we were in the sun belt we would make about half the money the acc pays. i don’t see how it makes any sense for us to not stay at the highest level of CFB we possibly can

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
there’s more money in being a fodder team that gets killed by super teams than breaking off to play with fcs/g5 teams. for example if we were in the sun belt we would make about half the money the acc pays. i don’t see how it makes any sense for us to not stay at the highest level of CFB we possibly can
I agree. If we move down, we instantly become Tulane overnight. That will do nothing for the football program. There was no talk of moving down in previous years. Just because we aren't winning now doesn't mean we can't in the future

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. If we move down, we instantly become Tulane overnight. That will do nothing for the football program. There was no talk of moving down in previous years. Just because we aren't winning now doesn't mean we can't in the future
There was definitely talk about it in the early 80s. NIL may mean we can't win in the future.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I agree. We should stay at the highest level possible. I’m not sure what that looks like if the ACC splinters, which could definitely happen. Anyway, I think it is highly likely that we would be in better shape now if we were still in the SEC. Moving down would be the end of Tech football.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. We should stay at the highest level possible. I’m not sure what that looks like if the ACC splinters, which could definitely happen. Anyway, I think it is highly likely that we would be in better shape now if we were still in the SEC. Moving down would be the end of Tech football.
Being in the sec would legitimatize CGC's greatest transition in history drivel. Vandy, UK, MSU, OM, Ark, are still transitioning. Agree though, moving down is death.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s not that we’d be moving down. The others would be moving up and we wouldn’t be invited because we haven’t done the things the others have done to merit an invitation. It will be most in the SEC minus a few then add FSU, Clemson, Miami, VT, along with whatever schools wan to join who get asked like Oklahoma State, Oregon, USC. The real question is will the BIG teams join (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State). I think they will because the new league won’t be formed without a TV deal in place and that deal will make these current deals look small. The inventory of games for TV today is iffy with all the meaningless games week to week taking place. You have a TV schedule of real teams playing real teams every week and that will bring more money. And sure, there will be more losses for teams not use to losing so many games but right now the records are artificially inflated by garbage games. How many real games do Bama or UGA play year to year? 3 or 4.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Losing the chance to be relevant and go to a upper level bowl game, even twice a decade, is imo, moving down. It's frustrating because in the nfl lite world, we probably won't even sniff at twice a decade. When I say moving down is death to the program, I'm talking about taking on Furman, Wofford, Georgia Southern, and Georgia State. Those over 40 or 50 will not buy tickets. When they(we) die off in a few decades, it may be semi-accepted.

Last edited:

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
If Gibbs is making 623,000 I'd say he made the right decision. Hopefully he invests it wisely and uses it to get ahead in case of career-ending injury.

NIL could end up ok for GT once things stratify a little. We may not be in the top league, but the league we are in will still play good football. You'll just see kids shuttle back and forth between leagues based on how successful they are. Probably we'll still play the bigger teams to get $$$, preserve rivalries, etc.