NIL, Transfers, and Stratospheric Salaries. What Is the Future of GT Football and College Football in General?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just drop all rules.
We are doing that. And the expected result? Players, awash in money, pay other students to do their course work. It’s not going to happen. It is happening. And in the process, making the whole idea of student-athlete a joke.

I see students TODAY driving AMG’s. It might as well be pro. It is pro. We just choose to call it collegiate.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We are doing that. And the expected result? Players, awash in money, pay other students to do their course work. It’s not going to happen. It is happening. And in the process, making the whole idea of student-athlete a joke.

I see students TODAY driving AMG’s. It might as well be pro. It is pro. We just choose to call it collegiate.
Totally agree. And it’s been this way, as you point out, a long time. In the end those players who put in the work to obtain skills someone wants to pay for will be rewarded in the business world. Those who don’t and don’t make the NFL will look back with regret. And those who make the NFL then good for them. It’s all a system to move money around. As a fan, I’m perfectly at peace giving away some of my money so I can sit in my stadium with old friends and watch a bunch of people run around with GT uniforms on. It gives me a day away from reality and I really don’t care if the players are 18 or 30, if they can read or write, or whether they graduate or not. They are getting compensated and I’m being entertained. My emotional level for the “GT” brand is high and my emotional level for players is about zero - otherwise I guess I’d be jazzed about watching Nebraska play this season.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree. And it’s been this way, as you point out, a long time. In the end those players who put in the work to obtain skills someone wants to pay for will be rewarded in the business world. Those who don’t and don’t make the NFL will look back with regret. And those who make the NFL then good for them. It’s all a system to move money around. As a fan, I’m perfectly at peace giving away some of my money so I can sit in my stadium with old friends and watch a bunch of people run around with GT uniforms on. It gives me a day away from reality and I really don’t care if the players are 18 or 30, if they can read or write, or whether they graduate or not. They are getting compensated and I’m being entertained. My emotional level for the “GT” brand is high and my emotional level for players is about zero - otherwise I guess I’d be jazzed about watching Nebraska play this season.
Interesting. In Japan, it used to be that companies sponsored the sports teams directly ... so it's the Aisin Argonauts vs. the Denso Dynamo.

We might as well go there ... a league with the GT/Hyundai Yellow Jackets, and simply pay the 18-22 year old athletes directly and do away with all of the student issues. Studying is not a priority for most.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. In Japan, it used to be that companies sponsored the sports teams directly ... so it's the Aisin Argonauts vs. the Denso Dynamo.

We might as well go there ... a league with the GT/Hyundai Yellow Jackets, and simply pay the 18-22 year old athletes directly and do away with all of the student issues. Studying is not a priority for most.
I have already heard that may be where it's headed. It may be a while but sure seems like that will be the model. The academic side for most of these big universities is already a joke.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
During an ACC meeting, I recall Jack Swarbrick saying something like the following:

College football may break into two different organizations. One with athletics tied to the school and one as a separate professional type organization using only the school logo. He said Notre Dame would elect be in the collegiate model.

I believe GT would also decide to follow the collegiate model. So, if the ACC breaks up as some expect, can an academic conference like the following compete and survive. Surviving defined as being able to compete for the CFP.

GT--ND--Duke--WF--Pitt--BC--SYR--CAL--Sanford--SMU

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
And if the kid doesn't play in any of those games what do you think occurs?
To the company's paying NIL money, NIL is a commercial. If you can't run your commercial during the Superbowl, do you have to pay for the time slot? I really don't know, but I would be surprised if there aren't some type of clauses in NIL contracts about visibility, good character, etc.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
To the company's paying NIL money, NIL is a commercial. If you can't run your commercial during the Superbowl, do you have to pay for the time slot? I really don't know, but I would be surprised if there aren't some type of clauses in NIL contracts about visibility, good character, etc.
Probably are some for character but not likely for missing a game.

Buzzter

Georgia Tech Fan
Tax issues might be overlooked. Beyond federal, state and local taxes on NIL earnings, NIL earnings by an individual earning NIL money while attending a school out of state is also taxable by their home state and local jurisdiction. Whether taxing a Student Athlete's NIL earnings for the pro-rata share of the earnings when they play away games at other states and/or local jurisdictions remains to be seen.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Tax issues might be overlooked. Beyond federal, state and local taxes on NIL earnings, NIL earnings by an individual earning NIL money while attending a school out of state is also taxable by their home state and local jurisdiction. Whether taxing a Student Athlete's NIL earnings for the pro-rata share of the earnings when they play away games at other states and/or local jurisdictions remains to be seen.
It will be interesting to see how states address the question of where NIL is earned. When I was working, and I traveled a lot while working at BellSouth International, Georgia considered 100% of my earnings to be Georgia based. I never tried to find out if Florida also had an interest. But we had a bunch of multiday Miami based meetings with our South American colleagues. My guess is that Georgia will want to tax all of the GT players NIL money.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Yep!

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Probably are some for character but not likely for missing a game.
I think there’s a difference between “missing a game” and “willingly sitting out of a high profile game.” I know they can't explicitly be "pay for play," but i would be shocked if there isn't language skilled lawyers could manipulate to reduce compensation if someone willingly decides not to play.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think there’s a difference between “missing a game” and “willingly sitting out of a high profile game.” I know they can't explicitly be "pay for play," but i would be shocked if there isn't language skilled lawyers could manipulate to reduce compensation if someone willingly decides not to play.
"My hamstring feels tight and I am not comfortable with playing right now."

or

"I have been playing through back pain these last few games and need to give it a rest."

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
"My hamstring feels tight and I am not comfortable with playing right now."

or

"I have been playing through back pain these last few games and need to give it a rest."
Lol. I'm not going to die on this hill. I just think there is more wiggle room in the "NIL can't be pay for play" comments.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Lol. I'm not going to die on this hill. I just think there is more wiggle room in the "NIL can't be pay for play" comments.
There may be. There is also a lot of risk on perceived welching on payments to players by a Company or a Collective. If they do refuse to pay then their opponents will play that up big time and there is no real way to refute the narrative. Are they going to say our contract required him to play in "x" number of games? Not likely.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
There may be. There is also a lot of risk on perceived welching on payments to players by a Company or a Collective. If they do refuse to pay then their opponents will play that up big time and there is no real way to refute the narrative. Are they going to say our contract required him to play in "x" number of games? Not likely.
Going back to my premise that a company is paying NIL money to link his business with that athlete (ie it's a commercial). I could see a contract structured something like, we have 10 games on TV which historically averages 1 million people viewing per game. We will pay you $100,000 per million viewers. If 10 games produces 10m viewers, you get $1m. Any less you get less, any more you get more. The numbers are completely made up, but you get my point.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Going back to my premise that a company is paying NIL money to link his business with that athlete (ie it's a commercial). I could see a contract structured something like, we have 10 games on TV which historically averages 1 million people viewing per game. We will pay you $100,000 per million viewers. If 10 games produces 10m viewers, you get $1m. Any less you get less, any more you get more. The numbers are completely made up, but you get my point.
If the contract says 10 games for X team, then it's in violation of the NIL intent. If the athlete hits the portal, the NIL contract is supposed to transfer with the athlete.