NIL, Transfers, and Stratospheric Salaries. What Is the Future of GT Football and College Football in General?

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
A "cap" is interesting but since it is technically not supposed to be associated with said school / sports program, how do you establish it? You can't cap one individual's outside earnings because a teammate is making too much already.

I don't know the answer and I am not really sure anyone does at this point. The NCAA is still here and empowered to some degree, but the stranglehold they had on "amateur athletics" is now gone. That was the card they held closest to the vest, thinking it justified their existence, so it seems a matter of time before the house of cards goes with it. I don't see the conferences (especially not the factory school conferences) leading the charge or even facilitating discussion on the matter. I think we are in for the wild wild west for the foreseeable future. I think everyone is watching to see just how far it will go and thinking that a point of diminishing returns will be the ultimate guardrail.... for the moment, no one knows where those returns are diminished.

For what it's worth, the topic of the thread is "NIL 'killing' the beauty of college sports." I think most are treating NIL as a symptom (or reaction) to what has been killing college sports for a long time and that is why there is no real urgency in a "fix."
This is what is going to happen right up until the athletes are paid as employees of the schools (and this coming soon). And that will finish off college sports for alot of schools. How can a cash strapped school like Tech pay ALL its SA's salaries. How can they compete against other larger rich schools. They can't, and that will be the end of D-1 sports at Tech and alot of other schools. The ironic thing is while these crop of kids are getting theirs, they are going to kill off the opportunities for alot of kids after them. Going to be alot of unemployed coaches and administrators also.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This is what is going to happen right up until the athletes are paid as employees of the schools (and this coming soon). And that will finish off college sports for alot of schools. How can a cash strapped school like Tech pay ALL its SA's salaries. How can they compete against other larger rich schools. They can't, and that will be the end of D-1 sports at Tech and alot of other schools. The ironic thing is while these crop of kids are getting theirs, they are going to kill off the opportunities for alot of kids after them. Going to be alot of unemployed coaches and administrators also.
Hopefully we can course correct before we reach this level!

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I think if teams paid directly a lot of the outside money would dry up. Why pay a player directly when you can pay the athletic association and let them deal with all the paperwork and all? Trying to get around a salary cap is a potential reason, depending on just how deep some of those pockets go, but I don’t know where the numbers would land. AFAICT, we aren’t seeing any programs splashing out 8 figure payrolls yet.

“True” NIL endorsements would be hard to prohibit but, like in the pros, probably not the biggest thing separating team A from team B in a player’s mind.

If the teams and the players are directly contracting for employment you can do a collectively bargained cap, including things like max individual salary restrictions intended to promote competitive balance, just like in pro sports. You don’t need an antitrust exemption for salary caps, the NBA and NHL don’t have those. Just a league and a union. Versus NCAA attempts to dictate to players.

GT would probably need to raise more money to compete but depending on where the cap lands that might actually be more realistic. It would be interesting to see which schools lobbied for higher caps and which ones wanted lower ones - are there enough programs out there that want to/can afford to spend 40million (random number pulled out of my hat) on salary a year that a league with that high a cap, without subsidies from the “haves” a la pro sports? I don’t actually think a 30-team all-Southern and Midwestern super league would be that financially viable for long.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think that what should be looked at is what is in the best interest of the student-athletes.
Okay, I gotta ask the obvious- why? Seriously, why should anyone but the student and his family care about what is best for him/her? Isn’t that why the student and his family spend years researching and selecting a college offer? Has a school ever told a high end recruit that they would be better off going to another school because it would be in their best interest?

Nothing about college athletics is on the up and up. It’s all a money grab by coaches who will leave on a dime after pledging commitments to the players - many times without even saying goodbye.

This is the real world and we all have to accept that no one except a very few people close to you care about your best interests. Most people think what can that person do for me. If we all realize this then life can go smoothly. And it’s a two way street, the players don’t care about the school one bit either. The minute their coach leaves many of them leave because they are looking out for themselves - as they should.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Okay, I gotta ask the obvious- why? Seriously, why should anyone but the student and his family care about what is best for him/her?
Do you really gotta ask that?

Is it really so crazy that some people wish people were better towards each other, and want to be better themselves?

Is being incessantly focused on just yourself really something to be smug about?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
How long will it be before some smart university decides to franchise out their sports program to an outside group with no strings attached. The outside agency will be outside NCAA rules, but they will pay for the right to put East Central Southwest University on their jerseys and to play in the on-campus arena, and use their training facilities. Players can then be paid (forget this NIL silliness) legally. And the university president and faculty can hold their noses and cash the checks....

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I gotta ask the obvious- why? Seriously, why should anyone but the student and his family care about what is best for him/her? Isn’t that why the student and his family spend years researching and selecting a college offer? Has a school ever told a high end recruit that they would be better off going to another school because it would be in their best interest?

Nothing about college athletics is on the up and up. It’s all a money grab by coaches who will leave on a dime after pledging commitments to the players - many times without even saying goodbye.

This is the real world and we all have to accept that no one except a very few people close to you care about your best interests. Most people think what can that person do for me. If we all realize this then life can go smoothly. And it’s a two way street, the players don’t care about the school one bit either. The minute their coach leaves many of them leave because they are looking out for themselves - as they should.
Not saying you are, but that sounds like the attitude of people who believe that blame all of their failures on others. In my experience, most successful people do put their best interest ahead of other things. Most successful people do things on their own to achieve their success, and don't wait for others or blame others for failure. However, most have taken advantage or mentoring from people who knew things that they didn't. And most are eager to mentor and teach others. It is very personally satisfying to see other people grow professionally, financially, and spiritually after you have been offering advice to them. I have heard plenty of former college athletes describe how their coaches helped them to become respectable men. I have heard several college coaches describe that they get more satisfaction from seeing the players be successful later in life than they do from the results of games. I believe that many people that work at universities are there because they want to be a part of mentoring and guiding the next generation of college graduates.

You do have to be careful and watch out for yourself. However, I believe that being part of a community in which you contribute at least as much as you receive is crucial to being happy, and critical to being successful.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
How long will it be before some smart university decides to franchise out their sports program to an outside group with no strings attached. The outside agency will be outside NCAA rules, but they will pay for the right to put East Central Southwest University on their jerseys and to play in the on-campus arena, and use their training facilities. Players can then be paid (forget this NIL silliness) legally. And the university president and faculty can hold their noses and cash the checks....
Why bother to be a student. Just be the Georgia Tech basketball or football team paid by the university. Alums of most schools just want the team with their school name on the jersey to win. I am still in the student athlete camp. Ok for these guys to make some side money but some of these $ numbers are outrageous. Is it sustainable? I'm not sure at the numbers being thrown around. At least the pros have a draft system.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
On the other hand Miami is one of the biggest NIL schools in both football and basketball.

On the Miami BB team Nigel Pack has a 2-yr $800K NIL deal and Isiah Wong has a 1-yr $400K plus a car NIL deal.

There will be times that it works and times that it doesn't.
NIL does move college athletics further away from what it was originally and closer to what it has been for the last few decades - which is basically professional sports with just loose attachments to Universities and education.

I also don't believe it levels the playing field in any significant way. The schools that have the largest NIL's are likely to be mostly large schools with a significant number of deep pocketed fans and alumni who are willing to spend large sums of money on individuals that have no guaranteed rate of return.

I also don't think any action will be taken to reign it in or set guardrails on it unless the blue bloods start feeling it is becoming a negative to them winning at the same rate, if that happens then you will see quick action to put guard rails on it.
And their basketball coach makes 2.3 million a year in base salary, independent of any other endorsements or appearances. I don't really get why it's such a big deal for kids to make a bit of money, but a coach making millions a year is just business as usual.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Why bother to be a student. Just be the Georgia Tech basketball or football team paid by the university. Alums of most schools just want the team with their school name on the jersey to win. I am still in the student athlete camp. Ok for these guys to make some side money but some of these $ numbers are outrageous. Is it sustainable? I'm not sure at the numbers being thrown around. At least the pros have a draft system.
Only a small percentage of football and basketball players progress to professional sports. The majority of these kids are going to school to get a college degree. Some may not care what the degree is, but they want a degree. Most need the scholarship to pay for school or they can’t attend.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
On the other hand Miami is one of the biggest NIL schools in both football and basketball.

On the Miami BB team Nigel Pack has a 2-yr $800K NIL deal and Isiah Wong has a 1-yr $400K plus a car NIL deal.

There will be times that it works and times that it doesn't.
NIL does move college athletics further away from what it was originally and closer to what it has been for the last few decades - which is basically professional sports with just loose attachments to Universities and education.

I also don't believe it levels the playing field in any significant way. The schools that have the largest NIL's are likely to be mostly large schools with a significant number of deep pocketed fans and alumni who are willing to spend large sums of money on individuals that have no guaranteed rate of return.

I also don't think any action will be taken to reign it in or set guardrails on it unless the blue bloods start feeling it is becoming a negative to them winning at the same rate, if that happens then you will see quick action to put guard rails on it.
The NIL $ Miami is spending for two NBA quality players seems like a bargain especially getting to the Final 4 with them, most alumni bases could afford that. Before NIL really only certain schools had a shot to get those Nike camp players and now anyone willing to pony up the money has a chance, how has that not leveled the playing field?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The NIL $ Miami is spending for two NBA quality players seems like a bargain especially getting to the Final 4 with them, most alumni bases could afford that. Before NIL really only certain schools had a shot to get those Nike camp players and now anyone willing to pony up the money has a chance, how has that not leveled the playing field?
There is a problem with that part of your statement. There is no set amount that gets you a one-and-done player. There are a few programs that have a lot more money and booster support than the rest. Those schools are still going to get the top players, because they can bid more than others. GT collectives might be able to get and offer the same dollar amount, but the Miami, or the mutts, or Texas, or UNC, will just increase what they are willing to pay. If GT were to get into a bidding war with UNC over a player that both were willing to spend "whatever it takes", UNC has more booster funds available and would win. Try to go up against Miami, the mutts, or Texas, and those boosters would be able to offer more than the entire NIL collective of GT if they so choose.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a problem with that part of your statement. There is no set amount that gets you a one-and-done player. There are a few programs that have a lot more money and booster support than the rest. Those schools are still going to get the top players, because they can bid more than others. GT collectives might be able to get and offer the same dollar amount, but the Miami, or the mutts, or Texas, or UNC, will just increase what they are willing to pay. If GT were to get into a bidding war with UNC over a player that both were willing to spend "whatever it takes", UNC has more booster funds available and would win. Try to go up against Miami, the mutts, or Texas, and those boosters would be able to offer more than the entire NIL collective of GT if they so choose.
I don’t think you can cap NIL. I believe the supreme court has already ruled on that. I think the biggest issue with NIL is its application with the transfer portal. It’s the rich schools buying the stud players off of the smaller schools – which almost always involves some sort of tampering. Tampering is nearly impossible to prove and therefore regulate.

I think the most practical way to manage NIL is to regulate transfers. If a student athlete transfers from one school to another, they have to sit out 1 year. No exceptions. The kids are free to leave whenever they want; they can go to any school they want; they are not being restricted in any way. You are not preventing the “student-athlete” from doing anything any other student could do.

For example, UCS isn’t buying Jordan Addison from Pitt after his stud sophomore season where he won the Biletnikoff award. Alabama isn’t buying Jamyr Gibbs after his sophomore season at Tech. Both of these players are going pro 3 years after high school. I think a good discussion point is whether the players should also lose a year of eligibility. It’s a privilege to play college sports. It’s not a right.

The argument always comes up, but a coach can leave at any time and coach at another school. So what. We are trying to regulate NIL from ruining college sports.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think you can cap NIL. I believe the supreme court has already ruled on that. I think the biggest issue with NIL is its application with the transfer portal. It’s the rich schools buying the stud players off of the smaller schools – which almost always involves some sort of tampering. Tampering is nearly impossible to prove and therefore regulate.

I think the most practical way to manage NIL is to regulate transfers. If a student athlete transfers from one school to another, they have to sit out 1 year. No exceptions. The kids are free to leave whenever they want; they can go to any school they want; they are not being restricted in any way. You are not preventing the “student-athlete” from doing anything any other student could do.

For example, UCS isn’t buying Jordan Addison from Pitt after his stud sophomore season where he won the Biletnikoff award. Alabama isn’t buying Jamyr Gibbs after his sophomore season at Tech. Both of these players are going pro 3 years after high school. I think a good discussion point is whether the players should also lose a year of eligibility. It’s a privilege to play college sports. It’s not a right.

The argument always comes up, but a coach can leave at any time and coach at another school. So what. We are trying to regulate NIL from ruining college sports.
I think you've hit upon at least a partial solution. The NCAA has to look for ways to regulate the situation (assuming they want to) without running afoul of a myriad of state laws.
Eligibility and transfers are within their purview.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Your right, but other schools can at least get in the mix now, and if say GT matches UNC’s nil offer to a top BB recruit from Atlanta, maybe that kid decides to stay home

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think you've hit upon at least a partial solution. The NCAA has to look for ways to regulate the situation (assuming they want to) without running afoul of a myriad of state laws.
Eligibility and transfers are within their purview.
Legislation is needed, laws have to be passed by congress to regulate this NIL pandoras box that the courts opened, thats the only path to order out of this mess.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Your right, but other schools can at least get in the mix now, and if say GT matches UNC’s nil offer to a top BB recruit from Atlanta, maybe that kid decides to stay home
But, a school with deep pockets will just up the ante. If GT matches a UNC NIL offer and the recruit waivers towards UNC, the UNC will just raise their offer. It doesn't raise GT's chances of getting a recruit that UNC really wants.

In these statements I am not complaining about the situation. I am just responding to your statement that it evens the playing field. I will admit that schools that would not pay players under the old system can now pay players without fear of NCAA sanctions. However, schools with more access to boosters will be able to offer more money. The top schools will still remain the top schools.

slugboy

Staff member
Legislation is needed, laws have to be passed by congress to regulate this NIL pandoras box that the courts opened, thats the only path to order out of this mess.
The court ruling struck out amateurism, and said “you can’t have your cake and eat it too”. The schools can’t both say “we won’t pay you hourly wages or a salary” and “plus you can’t take money from elsewhere”. In fact, the original NIL was that schools made money selling the players’ names and stats to a video game company and gave nothing to the players. If the schools compensate the players, then they can restrict outside income.

There’s a non-legislative path out of this; the NCAA just doesn’t want it.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
But, a school with deep pockets will just up the ante. If GT matches a UNC NIL offer and the recruit waivers towards UNC, the UNC will just raise their offer. It doesn't raise GT's chances of getting a recruit that UNC really wants.

In these statements I am not complaining about the situation. I am just responding to your statement that it evens the playing field. I will admit that schools that would not pay players under the old system can now pay players without fear of NCAA sanctions. However, schools with more access to boosters will be able to offer more money. The top schools will still remain the top schools.
I agree the top schools with the most money will have the most depth, but NIL can enable the smaller schools to buy 1 or 2 studs. UNC isn’t just competing with Tech for that one player. They are competing with Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, et al to have 6 to 8 burger boys on their team. Fortunately, in basketball, you can be very competitive with a couple of studs and a handful of good players who know their roles.