NIL to High Schoolers

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess Missouri is the first state to do this but they are unlikely to be the last.

So Missouri has passed a law that a student who signs with an in-state school can start receiving NIL money from that school once they have signed their letter of intent. Basically allows them to start receiving the money 5+ months earlier, while still in HS.

From the article:
Congress doesn't seem anywhere close to granting an antitrust exemption so that the NCAA can apply its rules.

"I would definitely say so [it has become a competition] in a roundabout way …," Gregory (Missouri State Representative) said. "Do you honestly think a senator from Alabama -- say Alabama has a better [NIL] law than LSU -- is going to vote for parity for LSU to have the same thing?

"We don't want the feds to come in and screw up the fun."

Hall of Fame coach Gary Pinkel led that 2007 Tigers team.

"You've got to get in the game," he said. "You have to have money. There is no way around that. Where it's going to go someday, I don't know. I used to hear the words 'student-athlete' and 'graduation rates.' I don't hear anything about any of those things anymore.

"My biggest problem with the whole thing is I don't want the coach who has the most money [to win] when this guy is a better coach and has a better team … but they just don't have the money to compete at this level. I think that's unfair."

alagold

Helluva Engineer
In Alabama its been known for yrs that HIGH schools coaches have "recruited " guys to come to their school with sweetners including finding a job for the family as inducement to move to another town. The money trail goes DEEP--especially when you have 15 yr olds dominating (not just playing).The 2 time Ala player of yr will be just turned 18 at Bama this Fall.The 7a state champ had a FREShman at QB.Money IS the game these days. Its scary.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I guess Missouri is the first state to do this but they are unlikely to be the last.

So Missouri has passed a law that a student who signs with an in-state school can start receiving NIL money from that school once they have signed their letter of intent. Basically allows them to start receiving the money 5+ months earlier, while still in HS.

From the article:
Congress doesn't seem anywhere close to granting an antitrust exemption so that the NCAA can apply its rules.

"I would definitely say so [it has become a competition] in a roundabout way …," Gregory (Missouri State Representative) said. "Do you honestly think a senator from Alabama -- say Alabama has a better [NIL] law than LSU -- is going to vote for parity for LSU to have the same thing?

"We don't want the feds to come in and screw up the fun."

Hall of Fame coach Gary Pinkel led that 2007 Tigers team.

"You've got to get in the game," he said. "You have to have money. There is no way around that. Where it's going to go someday, I don't know. I used to hear the words 'student-athlete' and 'graduation rates.' I don't hear anything about any of those things anymore.

"My biggest problem with the whole thing is I don't want the coach who has the most money [to win] when this guy is a better coach and has a better team … but they just don't have the money to compete at this level. I think that's unfair."
Coaches are all over the place: “I don’t want to miss out because we don’t have money,” and “l don’t want the coach with the most money to win out over the better coach.”

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe I’m just an old soul, but NIL for high school football players sounds terrible. At my high school, most of the football players were bullies, and that was without them getting paid to play. If they were getting paid thousands of dollars, they would have been completely unbearable.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe I’m just an old soul, but NIL for high school football players sounds terrible. At my high school, most of the football players were bullies, and that was without them getting paid to play. If they were getting paid thousands of dollars, they would have been completely unbearable.
Back in my day(dark ages), us football players kept the bullies in school at bay. My, the world is getting better huh?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
In Alabama its been known for yrs that HIGH schools coaches have "recruited " guys to come to their school with sweetners including finding a job for the family as inducement to move to another town. The money trail goes DEEP--especially when you have 15 yr olds dominating (not just playing).The 2 time Ala player of yr will be just turned 18 at Bama this Fall.The 7a state champ had a FREShman at QB.Money IS the game these days. Its scary.
You must have forgotten what went on in Valdosta several years ago.
In my HS in Nashville a kid in my 8th grade class played the typical sports, Little League, Pop Warner football, etc. Not particularly a star athlete. His father held him back to repeat 8th grade and went to a brand new HS where he was the QB every year. He was in the class that was the oldest every year until all 4 years were established. He got a FB .scholarship to Duke. He lasted one year on the team. That is a HS form of redshirting and can give one more year to mature.
The private high schools are giving scholarships to athletes that otherwise could not afford the $25K tuition. People will find ways to game the system.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why is it scary? I see absolutely nothing wrong with it because it’s been happening for years and we live in a free country where people are allowed to move. The only thing that has changed is that it’s reported in the media and now people pretend to be shocked. Every powerful school in any sport was built this way. I know nothing about female high school volleyball. But I guarantee that the top teams in the country attract players to move there to play. And those parents will always say they moved there for the coaching. The present is the same as the past as will be the future because schools and coaches who want to win will find ways to get the best players.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Why is it scary? I see absolutely nothing wrong with it because it’s been happening for years and we live in a free country where people are allowed to move. The only thing that has changed is that it’s reported in the media and now people pretend to be shocked. Every powerful school in any sport was built this way. I know nothing about female high school volleyball. But I guarantee that the top teams in the country attract players to move there to play. And those parents will always say they moved there for the coaching. The present is the same as the past as will be the future because schools and coaches who want to win will find ways to get the best players.
You are correct. HS have recruited players for sports for decades!

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Everything is relative. Yes, it's been done for a long time, but it's a LOT more pervasive now in the world of NIL/TP crap. Think pre vs post Prohibition, when it comes to drinking. Making cheating legal is not always a step forward. Imo, legalized drinking was :>)