NIL Settlement with NCAA this week - $3B in back payments

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Both the settlement and the 'cap' are ridiculous.

As far as the cap. Only the very richest athletic departments will be able to come close to the cap, so it isn't really a real cap. It's just meant to give the appearance there is one. it basically guarantees that the richest schools can continue to outspend ones not as well off.

As far as the settlement is concerned if I was the judge overseeing the case I would seriously consider disallowing the settlement.
You have a case where the NCAA and the 5 Power Conferences are the parties being sued. So what happens in the settlement. Basically college basketball and the smaller conferences get screwed and the A4 get off easy.

NCAA is picking up $1.1B of the settlement. That is coming from reserves and from money used to pay units for college basketball.
Then the formula used for determining how to split the remaining $1.7B is to use units earned over the last so many years of the college basketball tournament. Due to that the P4 pay 40% of the remaining amount and everyone else pays 60%. The smaller conferences asked for the 60/40 split to be reversed and the A4 conferences basically said no thanks.

No college football calculations in terms of how much money is made by the conferences from the CFP or TV contracts were taken into account.

It is estimated that 90% of the backpay from this settlement will go to student-athletes from the P5 schools but those schools are only paying a small fraction of the amount of money.
It just seems wrong that entities that were even really a part of the lawsuit and were not consulted about the settlement are going to pay a bunch of the money.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Both the settlement and the 'cap' are ridiculous.

As far as the cap. Only the very richest athletic departments will be able to come close to the cap, so it isn't really a real cap. It's just meant to give the appearance there is one. it basically guarantees that the richest schools can continue to outspend ones not as well off.

As far as the settlement is concerned if I was the judge overseeing the case I would seriously consider disallowing the settlement.
You have a case where the NCAA and the 5 Power Conferences are the parties being sued. So what happens in the settlement. Basically college basketball and the smaller conferences get screwed and the A4 get off easy.

NCAA is picking up $1.1B of the settlement. That is coming from reserves and from money used to pay units for college basketball.
Then the formula used for determining how to split the remaining $1.7B is to use units earned over the last so many years of the college basketball tournament. Due to that the P4 pay 40% of the remaining amount and everyone else pays 60%. The smaller conferences asked for the 60/40 split to be reversed and the A4 conferences basically said no thanks.

No college football calculations in terms of how much money is made by the conferences from the CFP or TV contracts were taken into account.

It is estimated that 90% of the backpay from this settlement will go to student-athletes from the P5 schools but those schools are only paying a small fraction of the amount of money.
It just seems wrong that entities that were even really a part of the lawsuit and were not consulted about the settlement are going to pay a bunch of the money.
Mods. Please make it so i can love this post more than once. Thank you