Nick Jacobs

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Outside of the final four team, Blewit, was less than mediocre as a coach and a recruiter hell he didn't coach the final four team. His assistants did. Glenn Rice Jr was a punk, Udofia was overrated coming out of HS and could never find a spot to excel in, Holsey was never the same after his injury and refused to pass the ball and was always good for 3-4 stupid turn overs a game, Jason Morris was not a good basketball player (great athlete yes) Nate Hicks are you kidding me, Brandon Reed not an ACC caliber player. Plain and simple Blewit hit the jack pot with Jarrett and Bynum. All he did was roll the ball on the court and let Jarrett do his thing and Bynum create. Blewit's offense never changed while he was at Tech, it was somebody do something please. His defensive philosophy was simple to, try and steal the ball and if you wiff the other team gets an open look or Tech got a lay up. Gregory's coaching ability runs circles around Blewit. As far as all the transfers coming in, that my friends is college basketball today. You either get on board or get left behind.

Exactly. Nate Hicks, nor Brandon Reed, were even ACC level players. Udofia and Royal were EXTREMELY overrated coming out of high school. Hewitt's recruiting his last few years was hot garbage. He would just recruit these 'athletes' that could out athlete you in HS but had no solid ball skills for ACC level play.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I'll admit I laughed for a good minute reading Hicks and Reed as ammo against Gregory's coaching ability. Also true what you said about Holsey. He gave his best no doubt, but after the ACL his explosion was basically null and void.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think BG is the better overall coach. Once Hewitt's best top assistants (Keener & Warren) left, he didn't replace them with requisite quality to continue his momentum.

Hewitt was absolutely the better recruiter, but without a game plan, he couldn't gain cohesion necessary to win games with higher level talent. The Favors year & the Young/Critt year could be viewed as underperforming given the talent.

Personally, I think Udofia gets a bad rap for how his GT career turned out. Shumpert came in wanting to play PG, given he viewed that as his NBA position, and Hewitt allowed it, when Shumpert was always more of a natural wing. Instead of playing Udofia through his mistakes and developing him to be our PG, Hewitt treated him like a yo yo and continued indulging Shumpert's position at PG (certainly worked well to feed our best player... not). Was Udofia overrated coming out of HS (Top 50-60), in the grand scheme, yes. Was he also not properly developed by Hewitt, I personally think so. He certainly busted his rear and steadied out under BG.

I feel bad for Jason Morris relative to his injuries, but we'll never know if he really put in the work to become a better player, given how his Sr. Year turned out. Glad he got his degree. Great athlete, not sure he reached his full hoops potential, would not have been the answer for our lack of perimeter shooting, as some on another msg board believe.

Kam is Kam. Showed some great flashes, but if he didn't have his 2 travels/game and learned how to pass out of a double or triple team, I wonder if we would've won a few more games just off of that. Still, gotta imagine a lot stems back to his injury.

Not gonna bother nitpicking Hicks, Royal, or Reed.

I do think that the players under BG ultimately get a better opportunity to develop basketball skills, but we need the 1-2 players necessary that are good enough to improvise, put us on their back, and close out a game. MGH has done it a couple of times. Tadric has done it in HS. Can they do it consistently this year when the game is tight & on the line?

What my rambling has to do with Nick Jacobs, I'm not sure. I do think if Robert Sampson proves to have a strong senior year after working with BG's staff, he'll be the blueprint for what Jacobs could look like in 2015.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Gregory is the answer. It't just he came to Tech at the worst time. He definitely had the deck stacked against him from the start. With that being said, he has not helped his cause either. The Poole situation lays squarely on his shoulders. The lack of a true PG is his problem to own. He knew the weakness's of this roster when he took over and didn't seem to address them adequately. The seat is definitely getting warm and I would assume he is on a short leash now. I hope his plan works out for the best or Tech is going to be a bottom dweller in ACC for the next few years.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agree Midlands.. I think people don't realize how bad things were under hewitt..

that said - I hope CBG turns things around - listening to him I get the feeling that he WANTS to win here and WANTS to build a tradition of winning and pride.