Nice Little Q&A with Ted Roof

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I like this quote:
Roof: That’s an interesting question. I get asked that a lot. I’ll ask you what is a conventional offense this day and age in college football. The variation from week to week is huge. It’s different than any other level. Playing against our offense is great from a fundamental standpoint and discipline standpoint. You’re training your eyes and your feet. Blow delivery is blow delivery. If you’re a 3-technique and you’re getting double-teamed, a double team is a double team, a scoop is a scoop, a reach is a reach. And then we’ll do periods where okay today is an 11 personnel day, tomorrow is a 10 personnel day, the next day is 21 or 12 personnel. We balance it by preparing for our offense, but at the same time preparing for what we’re going to see throughout the season. We want to have a base and make sure there is recall once we start preparing for a specific opponent.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like Ted a lot too. Very good, straightforward interview.

When I talked with the GTAA person about not renewing our season tickets, the subject came up of who I would like to see after CPJ. Ted Roof is the one for me.

What did he mean about "Roof: When we studied what we see in the off-season, 75% of snaps we see are now 11 personnel. " ? Does that mean that 75% are hurry up?? The other team lines up 11 people about 100% of the time.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer

When I talked with the GTAA person about not renewing our season tickets, the subject came up of who I would like to see after CPJ. Ted Roof is the one for me.

What did he mean about "Roof: When we studied what we see in the off-season, 75% of snaps we see are now 11 personnel. " ? Does that mean that 75% are hurry up?? The other team lines up 11 people about 100% of the time.

1 rb, 1 te

Basically, we need 5 dbs

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

This is what the lingo means in the NFL:

11 personnel (one back, one tight end, and three receivers), 12 personnel (one back, two tight ends, and two receivers) and 21 personnel (two backs, one tight end, and two receivers).

Looking at the two digits (11, 12, 21) taken separately, each refers to the number of backs and te's, respectively.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ted is basically saying we defend our 30 personnel using 11 12 etc personnel and defenses in practice. The point here is that when you watch a scrimmage the defense will not correlate to the offense each snap so sometimes you have to take the on field results at face value. Both for the o and the d.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I really like Roof's response here. Getting all the players on the same page during the game was a weak point for Groh. Kelly did a lot as the interim DC to fix the communication problems. I'm glad to see that Roof has continued to emphasize in-game communication efficiency.

How much has that no-huddle up-tempo style made you adjust your terminology, so that you can get calls in quicker?
Roof:
When I got to Auburn (2009), we had to be able to operate with one signal and one-word calls that meant something to everybody. Last season, we could do 37 different things on one-word calls. That’s how we built it. Now we don’t carry all of those every week, but there are some basics from week to week. What you have to do is eliminate the extension check-package because of the evolution of the up-tempo style, you lose all your time for formation recognition and communication. The good news is that offenses aren’t running their whole package out of the up-tempo. They’ll go hurry up, hurry up, and then they’ll step back. That’s when you have to have the ability to check into something or check out of something. That’s where I’m spending a lot of my time on, figuring out how to marry things up.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I love what I've seen out of Coach Roof so far. There were still some deficiencies on D last year, and I expect some this year as well. However, there are qualities he seems to have that our program really needs. He seems to be a great communicator, a "uniter" of the players, and we know how much he loves Tech. In a perfect world (for me), Coach Johnson has a really nice run over the next few seasons, retires on his own, and Coach Roof takes over as head man, and retains an offensive assistant as OC, or brings back a former member like Bohannon or Monken. Of course, some of you would hate that we were keeping the offensive system, but I'd be happy.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand Ted Roof was a good linebacker at Tech, this is his second time as a defensive coordinator at Tech, and he has one term as a Head Coach. With all of this said, he has not distinguished himself as a good Defensive Coordinator or a good Head Coach. Why are some on the board so insistent on Roof becoming the next Head Coach at Georgia Tech? Since he has not shown any great skills at winning, personally, I hope we go beyond Roof and get a proven winner from another school, even if it is someone from a lower division who has proven to be effective even with less than "high star" recruits. However, I would like for the candidate to have a lot of charisma in order to be an effective recruiter.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I understand Ted Roof was a good linebacker at Tech, this is his second time as a defensive coordinator at Tech, and he has one term as a Head Coach. With all of this said, he has not distinguished himself as a good Defensive Coordinator or a good Head Coach. Why are some on the board so insistent on Roof becoming the next Head Coach at Georgia Tech? Since he has not shown any great skills at winning, personally, I hope we go beyond Roof and get a proven winner from another school, even if it is someone from a lower division who has proven to be effective even with less than "high star" recruits. However, I would like for the candidate to have a lot of charisma in order to be an effective recruiter.
Part of it is he "gets" GT. He knows what is takes to succeed here both on and off the field. That's huge. I'm willing to wait and see what he can do with the defense over a few years before getting behind him as the next HC, but I don't see anything you pointed out in his past as a disqualifier.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like all of his answers.

The one disadvantage I have always seen for our defense is that our back 7 don't face a QB in practice who can really sling it like some of these potential/future NFL QB's like Murray,Thomas,Boyd,EJ Manual, Sean Renfree, Stafford, Stephen Morris, and R. Wilson. You can't practice defending throws that those caliber of players make. However, they have defended a nice crop of WR's D. Thomas, Hill, Cone, Smelter, and some good AB's in Orwin, Roddy, and Godhigh.

Another disadvantage is not going against true TE's regularly but that might not be as big of a deal.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I like all of his answers.

The one disadvantage I have always seen for our defense is that our back 7 don't face a QB in practice who can really sling it like some of these potential/future NFL QB's like Murray,Thomas,Boyd,EJ Manual, Sean Renfree, Stafford, Stephen Morris, and R. Wilson. You can't practice defending throws that those caliber of players make. However, they have defended a nice crop of WR's D. Thomas, Hill, Cone, Smelter, and some good AB's in Orwin, Roddy, and Godhigh.

Another disadvantage is not going against true TE's regularly but that might not be as big of a deal.

I'm gonna hold off on how great a hire Roof is until I SEE it. The defense was better last year but not shutdown or dominant by any means..
I think not seeing a TE is important we've been burned in the past by the position, and yeah gun slingers hurt us. Boyd, Murray, & the kid from Miami threw us out of our run defense last year.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Those of you who have stated you like Roof, your reasons have nothing to do with his record as a defensive coordinator or a head coach. He has not excelled at either, so he has bounced around from team to team. I would say that I like him, but I can't because I don't know him. I can't say that I dislike him, because I don't know him. I can only look at the records and make judgments from his past records as defensive coordinator and head coach. I do not see a great record from either. Even this last year, he could not stop the opponent when it counted, when in the latter parts of the game, or in overtime. We can always excuse some of these items with, "well it was his first year", or "he does not have the line material to be effective", etal. However, if we have to choose a new head coach in the future, it would seem we would look at the records of the candidates rather than he played at Tech, or he talks a good game, etal. Personally, I hope the defense is" lights out" this year and we win the National Championship, but this has nothing to do with gaugeing his present record on defense or as a head coach.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
You can't say he doesn't have winning skills: he was DC for a national champion team, and came into what may be the worst situation imaginable and turned it into a ranked defense. He's well known as a very good recruiter.

But, yes, let's see some winning at GT and ranked defenses before we anoint him heir apparent.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This year he Needs to show a defense that can be fun for the players and easy to recruit into without being toasted by an average qb - which we faced at the big 4. If the defense is dominant in 2 of the 4 , ok in one and bad in one; then he will be on way to recruiting real talent which he should glare tee playing time as freshman. with the extra db playing I hope we blitz more often. Sure we will get burned, but we will also score on defense and get better field position. THWG

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
It was a nice interview. And nobody is anointing anyone yet. Many are simply stating what is true: Roof did a nice job making some defensive improvements and helping with recruiting. But nobody meant to rain on your gloom parade...