Nice breakdown of FSU/GT counter run play

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Part of what that shows is how assignment sound our kids were last weekend. I'm talking about both sides of the ball.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
So what do we do when the D uses proper technique? This analysis makes me think our success on O is more a factor of FSU sucking.
I’m reminded of an anecdote from Tony Dungy’s autobiography where I think Warren Sapp said there’s holes all over the zone coverage in the Tampa 2 defense, and Dungy said the defensive line must pass rush well enough that those holes don’t have a chance to develop.

There always will be a hole somewhere in the defense, the challenge is can the offense exploit it. Maybe if FSU focuses too hard on counter another hole would’ve opened up, and we would’ve seen more HB stretch or more passes over the top.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
When teams like Florida St have more talent than you it’s always a good thing to get ‘em early. Great coaching and determination from the players won that game. Now let’s take care of business today and get another win. Let’s go Ga Tech!

slugboy

Staff member
So what do we do when the D uses proper technique? This analysis makes me think our success on O is more a factor of FSU sucking.
The defense needs to make the right move and they need to beat their man (or men). If they do both, you need to run a different play.

Also, if they’re playing smart and they’re winning matchups, then you’re having a bad day on offense.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
There's the other part of the analysis which pretty clearly shows our guys winning one on one blocks and driving through the defender when getting tackled. Those things don't go away and will only be emphasized when we play less talented teams.
There will certainly be a time when we need to show more counters to the counter play and throw the ball but I have confidence in our guys to execute those plays and for Faulkner to keep the opponent's heads on a swivel and help maintain that mental edge for our team. The fact that we're demonstrating you have to be physically dominant and assignment sound is great news. We have a solid foundation to build our entire team on.