Nice AJC Article - GT Off Season Priorities

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So many of our receivers under CPJ have the "dropsies" I get nightmares about that sometimes. Smelter was wonderful, but he had great hands, big hands if I read right.
The big hands thing can be a killer in the wrong sport, maybe. Wilt Chamberlain was a terrible free throw shooter in part, coaches said, because he had huge hands and could not get a feel for the ball that they enveloped. Interesting if true.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
Used to have a drill where the receivers, watkins and Campbell would catch tennis balls shot out of a feeder. Worked well for them.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Do we have a scholarship available for Messick? If he's a starting A back it would only make sense to put him on.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Used to have a drill where the receivers, watkins and Campbell would catch tennis balls shot out of a feeder. Worked well for them.
I had not hear those names for quite some time ...Kerry Watkins and Kelly Campbell...When Kelly got his jaw broken against the Noles is when I started hating them...and it continues

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Ken's defensive unit is a 4-2-5
He has nicklebacks playing linebacker.
With their size what about rotating Simmons and Whitehead at the OLB spot along with DE?
I can see Harrell moving to ILB during 4-3 alignments.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
With their size what about rotating Simmons and Whitehead at the OLB spot along with DE?
That would be a great defense against the run but might be kind of weak against the pass. CTR established a practice at Penn State of having a nickle back who could double as a linebacker giving better coverage against passing teams that like to throw where the linebackers are.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The 4-2-5 D was UNC's answer to the spread for several years. Don't recall how many points they gave up but GT hanging 68 and 42 on them are ones I can recall, and those numbers were pretty constant. The DC was replaced with Gene Chizak for '15. Chizak has a track record, but he won't be using the 4-2-5. As I remember Tech demonstrated that at least against UNC's version, they could run and throw on it.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
You would think we would get a good pass rush like that with Freeman, Whitehead, and Simmons

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Add Days, Marcordes, and Paul Davis to that, some serious pass rushing potential!
One would hope, but you have to remember even with those guys our pass rush was abysmal last year. Having a pass rush bringing 6 is way different than having a pass rush bringing 4 or 5. Maybe Whitehead will help. It is certainly possible. My hope is that the maturation of some of the previously mentioned players along with the new infusion of JHD and Whitehead will have us getting in some peoples faces a little. We need it in the worst way.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One would hope, but you have to remember even with those guys our pass rush was abysmal last year. Having a pass rush bringing 6 is way different than having a pass rush bringing 4 or 5. Maybe Whitehead will help. It is certainly possible. My hope is that the maturation of some of the previously mentioned players along with the new infusion of JHD and Whitehead will have us getting in some peoples faces a little. We need it in the worst way.
I think we'll see JHD being a force multiplier on our D. He's gonna disrupt the Oline all by himself freeing up his mates to wreak havoc. He'll wreak plenty of it himself, too. Throw in an improving Freeman and Gamble, a well seasoned Gotsis, a quick off the edge Whitehead..... anything Kallon or freshman can bring is gravy. I like what I'm seeing in my mind's eye.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll see JHD being a force multiplier on our D. He's gonna disrupt the Oline all by himself freeing up his mates to wreak havoc. He'll wreak plenty of it himself, too. Throw in an improving Freeman and Gamble, a well seasoned Gotsis, a quick off the edge Whitehead..... anything Kallon or freshman can bring is gravy. I like what I'm seeing in my mind's eye.
How many 3rd & longs did we allow opposing teams to convert? Those plays are where I see Jabari's presence being felt the most. A bit more pressure on the QB and a bunch of those continued drives turn into punts, which JT turns into points. I can easily see a scenario where our D takes a huge step forward this year.