Next year's defensive line

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Okay, so Sellers and Glanton are big kids. That is helpful. Still don't hear anything about a pass rush for next year.

I suspect next year will look familiar. We will be putting up big points when we have the ball and giving them up just as fast when we don't. It will be a wild ride.

I never thought this year's defense could be worse than last year's, but I am afraid that is the case. Last year we were a pretty good run stopping team with no pass rush. The loss of Green has been bigger than I thought. Many of the big runs yesterday went over their right guard. I don't know if he is their best offensive lineman or if they recognized it as a weak link or both. Whether it was Jamari in or Gallon, they flowed through as if there was no one even playing the tackle spot. I think we might as well hand it over to Henderson and let him get some experience. He simply could not play any worse than what we have now.

I feel more sorry for Ted Roof than mad at him. The guy has coached blue chippers at Auburn and Penn State. He is trying his best to scheme around our multiple weaknesses. Trying to fashion a pass defense with no pressure from the front four is not easy when you face an accurate quarterback and a top quality receiver.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
but, is he so bad he can't even contribute in game scenarios. I would assume he was good enough to make a rotation some how. Perhaps he was good enough for scout team D? I have faith in our coaches to field the most qualified bodies to fill spots and get the job done. I had wanted to see him on the field as the next attaouchu..it just didn't seem to happen.
Have to assume the coaches are wanting to win and are putting the best available players on the field. Whiteheads 'disappearance" is disappointing...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
if you like this yrs Def
next yr has the makings of a def disaster--we replace all four DBs-- maybe we can adequately replace 2
BY FAR the best DLineman is gone and really can anyone think that Kallon and Gamble can approach Gotsis/HDays?
LBs? if Davis got hurt ,it would be catastrophic
'17 might see some upgrade

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I noticed that Freeman was doubled up on almost every play yesterday; obviously, the opposition thinks he's what they have to worry about.

I don't really think we are in anymore trouble next year on D then this year. True, the secondary starters will be gone and we'll miss Golden and White. But we have players of equal talent who will be there: the Austins are good and Gray will be an all-American by the time he's a junior (just possible all-ACC next year). LBs are in fine shape: Alexander, Brant Mitchell (he reminds me a lot of Ron Rogers when he was a frosh), PJ, Curry and Cooksey. That's a young lineup, but more talented then this year, imho. DE has Freeman, Simmons, Rook-Chungong, and Saint-Amour coming back. There all we have to do is find someone who will draw a double on the other side from Freeman and with another year's growth (R-C is the only upper classman in the bunch), I'm betting we can do that.

It is DT where we have the biggest problem. Gamble is a decent performer as is Kallon, but neither is a true doorstep DT. We need to find someone who'll occupy some space over there. I agree that moving one or two of our OLs will probably be necessary and that Brown is the obvious choice. But that will depend on the development of the redshirt frosh DTs. Many of them have the size to contribute, so we'll just have to see.

In short, I don't think we are in such awful shape on D and that, with proper development, we should see better results next year. Great results? Ah, mem-sahib, that is another story.