Next season: team leadership

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The thread congratulating the departing season got me worried about team leadership heading into the offseason and into next year. Who do you guy predict will emerge as team leaders and will they match the amazing success of our departing srs?

My guesses are:

Offense
JT: no brainer
Freddie Burden: got to have somebody step up from the OL, it really could be any of the older fellas.
wild card: Snoddy, not sure he's got it in him or not, but the guys sure rallied around him after his injury.

Defense
Gotsis: no brainer
Jamal Golden
PJ Davis
wild card: Jabari, assuming he makes it back

GT_Johnnybodkin

Jolly Good Fellow
Offense: Justin Thomas, Freddie Burden, Michael Summers
Defense: Gotsis, Golden

I'm really excited to see Freeman, Duram, and the Austin twins grow from year 1 to year 2.

When I look at our roster over the last couple years- we've really had a ton of quality leaders on our team. I really like the guys CPJ recruits.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
There are tons of names on D that come to mind. Gotsis, Freeman(even though he's young), Golden, White, Davis, Hunt-Days, Marcordes, Chungong all come to mind. Just need a few of them to step into that roll. I think that many of them probably already did this year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Jamal Golden seems like the obvious choice for senior leader. That kid is so well prepared for every contest. There is no doubt in my mind he is a great example for the other guys. You can throw DJ White in a similar category. Braun seems ready to be a leader in my eyes. He has had the time in the program, grown steadily as a player, done well in school (graduating with ME degree), and gotten married too. That kind of maturity has got to count for something.

Having said that, we all know who is the heart and soul of next year's team is going to be. JT is the engine that will make us go. He will need to be the guy who gets the rookie skill players up to speed and quickly.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Jamal Golden seems like the obvious choice for senior leader. That kid is so well prepared for every contest. There is no doubt in my mind he is a great example for the other guys. You can throw DJ White in a similar category. Braun seems ready to be a leader in my eyes. He has had the time in the program, grown steadily as a player, done well in school (graduating with ME degree), and gotten married too. That kind of maturity has got to count for something.

Having said that, we all know who is the heart and soul of next year's team is going to be. JT is the engine that will make us go. He will need to be the guy who gets the rookie skill players up to speed and quickly.

I'd be willing to bet that JT will be out drilling with the young guys quite frequently this spring and over the summer.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
JT and Golden are the big two to me, and both go about leading in different ways (JT more the quiet leader who leads by example, Golden is more vocal).

Most Tech men are leaders in life. It's such an advantage to have a team full of leaders like this year and I don't expect it to drop off much next season.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking we will see some leadership from D. Whitehead.
He will have one year at Tech under his belt plus he has been in locker rooms elsewhere and won't be new to the experience .

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's hard for a first year player to step into a leadership role. Only one I can think of stars under center for the Seahawks now.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
JT and Jamal are the obvious ones. Can't forget PJ in the lockerroom after the Va. Tech game already quoting Jamal, "We ain't done nothing yet. And we can play soooo much better."

D.J.'s play and his preparation - Jamal's too - speak volumes about the work ethic. Wonder how many teams are going to tempt fate and throw at D.J's side next year? I think they're already starting to not throw to the guy he's covering.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think DJ White could be a leader and never say a word. The hustle and energy he brings to the game is contagious. Any young guy should look to him on how to approach playing the game and look to Golden on how to prepare for the game.

I hope JT continues to grow in leadership (he already is great for a upcoming junior). I'd like to see Burden be the one to step up on the line. I loved Shaq, but I like it when the center is the leader on the line. Every play starts with him.