Next JeT?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
we were lucky with godsey,
but generally there wasn't a next godsey for a while
there wasnt a next nesbitt for a while
there wasn't a next donnie davis for a while
my hunch tells me there won't be a next JeT immediately either...god I hope I am wrong.

But there could be a really solid QB, just not JeTlithic.

Imagine being Oregon. Their QBs have been dominant since Joey Harrington

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think there will be another JeT, he's such a unique talent. You don't see many D1 Qbs that are 100meter dash champions.
Well have a very different type of player in his replacement. I'm interested to see who it is. My money would be on Ratliff if he is the same player pre injury. I think Matt Jordan changes positions soon

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm pulling for Ratliff. Overcoming a major injury and becoming a successful college QB is the stuff of legend. Hope he pulls it off.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Agree. We have seen a determined hardworking guy inTevin come further just to add perspective.
Washington was an intriguing player. Not necessarily the only player, but one of a very few who got the absolute most from limited skills and did it every Saturday. As a result, until Thomas later in the '14 season, he was the best option QB Johnson had at Tech. In my opinion, anyway. He was very good with the ball and moved the offense. Wasn't a two minute guy, but really a textbook example of one who squeezed out every bit of his talent. I can think of a lot of guys with more physical skills but without that determination and grit. As the movie line said, sometimes guts is enough.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't think there will be another JeT, he's such a unique talent. You don't see many D1 Qbs that are 100meter dash champions.
Well have a very different type of player in his replacement. I'm interested to see who it is. My money would be on Ratliff if he is the same player pre injury. I think Matt Jordan changes positions soon
If we've learned anything from 2014, we should have learned that it's never to late to blossom. MJ is still a young guy learning the hardest position on the field. I wouldn't count him out, yet. You know he didn't take any snaps with the first string O in the Spring Game. If the first string Oline was patchwork, whadayathink the second string was? The great news is we're in no hurry for him to see the field. We have two more seasons of JT. Heck, we still have Byerly for one.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I think it's possible that we see MJ some at WR this year. He's very athletic, and there's no reason to keep him off the field with TB at #2. There was talk of this earlier, and if there are injuries at WR to either Summers, Messick or Juene, I could see MJ getting real time. He's gone through 2 springs and a season at this level already. If he excels at WR and some the incoming guys at QB step up, I could see MJ making the move to stay on the field. On the other hand, he could also gain a better understanding of what needs to be done at the QB position by spending time at WR or AB.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think it's possible that we see MJ some at WR this year. He's very athletic, and there's no reason to keep him off the field with TB at #2. There was talk of this earlier, and if there are injuries at WR to either Summers, Messick or Juene, I could see MJ getting real time. He's gone through 2 springs and a season at this level already. If he excels at WR and some the incoming guys at QB step up, I could see MJ making the move to stay on the field. On the other hand, he could also gain a better understanding of what needs to be done at the QB position by spending time at WR or AB.
He'll definitely get a new perspective on reading db's. Like you said, MJ has said he's taking reps at wr already, I'm not sure if it was the coaches' idea or his own. One thing I love about our offense is how interchangeable the parts are, if a guy washes out at one position, they can be a star somewhere else.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
ESPN article quoted CPJ talking about approaching MJ to stay at #3 qb but also train at wr.

I think wr will be a tougher spot to break through given the guys coming in. It may be hard to stay ahead of CC if he's not getting equal qb reps. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Right now, MJ needs all the reps he can get at QB. Byerly graduates this year, so after MJ, it's a true freshman (Campbell) and a walk-on. MJ will be the primary backup next season as Campbell will be coming off a redshirt, Ratliffe will be a medical situation, and whoever we sign this year will be a true freshmen.

I agree that MJ has the athletic ability to play multiple positions (and probably pretty well), but at this point MJ getting reps at QB is more important than him getting reps at WR. Unless MJ is a difference maker at WR, hard to see us moving him and losing development time at the most crucial position on the field.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
IMO Martensen is solid enough to be an ideal number three. He looked good in the Fall Scrimmage and again with the first team this Spring. I see a battle among Campball, Ratliffe (if med cleared), and Jordan for one and two to replace Thomas. If Ratliffe is in the mix then one of the three will likely move to another position. We also have T Marshall if absolutely needed.
If we get a legit QB candidate in the 2016 class we are in good shape.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Right now, MJ needs all the reps he can get at QB. Byerly graduates this year, so after MJ, it's a true freshman (Campbell) and a walk-on. MJ will be the primary backup next season as Campbell will be coming off a redshirt, Ratliffe will be a medical situation, and whoever we sign this year will be a true freshmen.

I agree that MJ has the athletic ability to play multiple positions (and probably pretty well), but at this point MJ getting reps at QB is more important than him getting reps at WR. Unless MJ is a difference maker at WR, hard to see us moving him and losing development time at the most crucial position on the field.

I hope this feedback gets to CPJ before camp. He seemed pretty set on giving MJ time at WR.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
IMO Martensen is solid enough to be an ideal number three. He looked good in the Fall Scrimmage and again with the first team this Spring. I see a battle among Campball, Ratliffe (if med cleared), and Jordan for one and two to replace Thomas. If Ratliffe is in the mix then one of the three will likely move to another position. We also have T Marshall if absolutely needed.
If we get a legit QB candidate in the 2016 class we are in good shape.
If the injury to Ratliffe was as described, I cannot believe a medical doctor will say "Play".

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CPJ talks about a lot of things that end up not happening. It's the fans and media that make too much about it.

I hope you're right. I like Jordan at QB, but then again. Here's the way ESPN reported on it a couple months ago:

“A lot of these guys want a chance to play quarterback and other schools are recruiting them as receivers and defensive backs,” Johnson said. “You go in and say, ‘Look, you can line up and play quarterback, but if it is looks you’re not going to play, then you’re still going to play receiver or DB or whatever. It’s been a pretty good set up for us in recruiting.”

Earlier this month, Johnson walked off the practice field with redshirt freshmanMatthew Jordan, the No. 3 quarterback behind Thomas and Tim Byerly. Johnson turned to him and said, “Matthew, you’re one of the better athletes on the team.”

“Absolutely, Coach,” Jordan replied. “Where do you want me? A-back? Receiver?”

“I said, ‘You still need to be the third quarterback, but you can do that and play receiver,’ and he was excited about it,” Johnson said. “We’ll see in the fall when he gets back out there, but we’ve done that through the years.

“That’s just the nature of what we do.”
Regardless of what happens, it doesn't sound like CPJ is against giving his #3 QB reps at another position. That's the point of yours to which I was responding.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I hope you're right. I like Jordan at QB, but then again. Here's the way ESPN reported on it a couple months ago:

“A lot of these guys want a chance to play quarterback and other schools are recruiting them as receivers and defensive backs,” Johnson said. “You go in and say, ‘Look, you can line up and play quarterback, but if it is looks you’re not going to play, then you’re still going to play receiver or DB or whatever. It’s been a pretty good set up for us in recruiting.”

Earlier this month, Johnson walked off the practice field with redshirt freshmanMatthew Jordan, the No. 3 quarterback behind Thomas and Tim Byerly. Johnson turned to him and said, “Matthew, you’re one of the better athletes on the team.”

“I said, ‘You still need to be the third quarterback, but you can do that and play receiver,’ and he was excited about it,” Johnson said. We’ll see in the fall when he gets back out there, but we’ve done that through the years.

Regardless of what happens, it doesn't sound like CPJ is against giving his #3 QB reps at another position. That's the point of yours to which I was responding.

You're framing that part out of context of the whole article. The article is about CPJ recruiting QBs that can play multiple positions, and that little bit you quoted was just CPJ giving an example of "That’s just the nature of what we do."

I never said CPJ was against it. I just said given the QB situation, I doubt it's what some of you are making it out to be. Like I said, CPJ talks about a LOT of things...doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen. Look at the bolded part...CPJ will do what's best for the team. If moving MJ to WR is best for the team great. Given our QB situation, I doubt that's best for the TEAM.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You're framing that part out of context of the whole article. The article is about CPJ recruiting QBs that can play multiple positions, and that little bit you quoted was just CPJ giving an example of "That’s just the nature of what we do."

I never said CPJ was against it. I just said given the QB situation, I doubt it's what some of you are making it out to be. Like I said, CPJ talks about a LOT of things...doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen. Look at the bolded part...CPJ will do what's best for the team. If moving MJ to WR is best for the team great. Given our QB situation, I doubt that's best for the TEAM.

No worries. I hope you're right.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

“I said, ‘You still need to be the third quarterback, but you can do that and play receiver,’ and he was excited about it,” Johnson said. “We’ll see in the fall when he gets back out there, but we’ve done that through the years.

Lest we forget, the worst mistake Johnson never made: moving Tevin Washington to Aback, as I remember. It was Washington who said no, he came to Tech to play QB and he was going to play QB. Imagine the possible consequences had he been moved. But maybe the larger point is that it demonstrated a player can stand up to Johnson and not be banished to Athens.