New Uniforms on Team's Snapchat

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Why is this jersey orange and purple?

GT remains a great school in the fields of architecture and engineering. But in areas like marketing and business, not so much. I hate participating in uniform threads, but why do we fail in this (marketing/branding) endeavor? especially when other schools, whom we look down our noses at and/or mock as "factory schools", seemed to have figured things out? it is mind boggling, especially given that we do have a classic uniform(or at least, have had one in the past). smh.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
GT remains a great school in the fields of architecture and engineering. But in areas like marketing and business, not so much. I hate participating in uniform threads, but why do we fail in this (marketing/branding) endeavor? especially when other schools, whom we look down our noses at and/or mock as "factory schools", seemed to have figured things out? it is mind boggling, especially given that we do have a classic uniform(or at least, have had one in the past). smh.
I've emailed both of our most recent athletic directors, and we will shop ourselves around when the contract runs out (2017 I think), and if we continue on an upward trajectory we will be in a really good spot to get a TON of money from Adidas or UA when the time comes. It all comes down to money with them and even though I tried to argue different points with them it all came down to "Russell gave us more than anyone else and we are proud to be with Russell blah blah blah until our contract is up and then we will explore our options." They have done well the last couple of years, but they should be able to match the gold on our helmet and the gold on the rest of the uniform. That drives me nuts, but they've kept them a little more simple recently and that is always a good thing. I just hope we have some great seasons over the next 2-3 years so we get a huge offer from one of the big boys when the contract with Russell is up.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The jersey pictured is not out team's jersey. So the discussion about Tech going to Nike or UA is an apples to oranges one. But Russell really is shooting themselves in the foot with this cheap copy for fans. It's a great job of reinforcing fan opinion that their products are cheap and inferior....smh.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVA just re-upped with Nike for 10 years at a minimum of $3.5M/yr
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-uva-nike-post.html

Michigan just became the first college football team branded by Jordan
http://btn.com/2015/08/13/report-michigan-becomes-first-cfb-team-outfitted-by-jordan-brand/

I think it comes down to return on investment. UVa would get more than we do since they have a far larger fan base who will buy their stuff. Unless we become national phenoms (<1% likely IMHO), I'd guess we get at most 50% of UVa. A lot of their stuff all over the state here (and more pleasant than VT). I think the schools with just the name of the state (UVa / Michigan / Oregon / Alabama) also have a big advantage.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think it comes down to return on investment. UVa would get more than we do since they have a far larger fan base who will buy their stuff. Unless we become national phenoms (<1% likely IMHO), I'd guess we get at most 50% of UVa. A lot of their stuff all over the state here (and more pleasant than VT). I think the schools with just the name of the state (UVa / Michigan / Oregon / Alabama) also have a big advantage.

Really? I am surprised by this considering GT's attendance last year was 48,000 while UVa's was 39,000 per home game.

GT has a bigger fan base than most People realize. We have a lot of fans spread out across the country. I think if GT can consistently compete with UGA every year and we start to whoop them a few years in a row, you will see band wagon fans switch to us.

Joeb21

Jolly Good Fellow
Southern Miss and WKU are both Russell schools and they always have these big unveilings of new uniforms and they usually look halfway decent.
GT fans find out what our team jerseys look like on fan day and the pants are usually unseen until the first game. Very strange how Russell doesn't promote GT.
I wonder if the GT athletic department has expressed the fans' disdain for the uniforms to Russell.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
UVA just re-upped with Nike for 10 years at a minimum of $3.5M/yr
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-uva-nike-post.html

Michigan just became the first college football team branded by Jordan
http://btn.com/2015/08/13/report-michigan-becomes-first-cfb-team-outfitted-by-jordan-brand/

That UVA contract just reinforced my thought on there is money to be made with another supplier. @BabyJacket1990 that ~9k difference is where in stadium apparel revenue sales come into play. If half that group spent $100 throughout the season on apparel that's 450k in stadium alone. We also have to factor the market that we are in. Don't you think UA would love come in here and take some revenue shares away from Nike and UGA.

Last edited:
Southern Miss and WKU are both Russell schools and they always have these big unveilings of new uniforms and they usually look halfway decent.
GT fans find out what our team jerseys look like on fan day and the pants are usually unseen until the first game. Very strange how Russell doesn't promote GT.
I wonder if the GT athletic department has expressed the fans' disdain for the uniforms to Russell.

Or do we choose to not provide an "unveling"? I wonder how much advatage in promotion that would generate if done each year? The better strategy might be a "Alternate" each year that generated interest for a specific game. That seems to be the approach of some programs that I would say are similar to GT like Nebraska, ASU, Baylor, etc.

That UVA contract just reinforced my thought on there is money to be made with another supplier. @BabyJacket1990 that ~9k difference is where in stadium apparel revenue sales come into play. If half that group spent $100 throughout the season on apparel that's 450k in stadium alone. We also have to factor the market that we are in. Don't you think UA would love come in here and take some revenue shares away from Nike and UGA.
I do think so! I would love to see UA be the official sponsor of Ga Tech athletics. Tech needs to bite the bullet with R.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Tailgaters had them in stock last week. They are simar in look...but not exact copies of.... this year's jersey. Quality? I'll leave that to others to decide....ive never purchased a jersey or compared simar from other schools so my opinion is worthless.