New Rules Change

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So it prevents going low on a crackback? Ok, I guess our receivers just have to lay the guy out then

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it affects pulling linemen. You can't block below the waist towards the initial position of the ball. Pulling linemen are blocking away from the initial position of the ball.

LBs are also moving from inside out. We have used pulling OL out wide this way.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
LBs are also moving from inside out. We have used pulling OL out wide this way.

Yes, but the linemen are still pulling away from the original ball position, not towards it. Maybe I'm just missing it. If you have an example on video id be interested in seeing it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Abacks are not typically blocking towards the original position of the ball, either. Low crack backs have been illegal for a long time, this is just another way of defining it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but the linemen are still pulling away from the original ball position, not towards it. Maybe I'm just missing it. If you have an example on video id be interested in seeing it.

It's not rocket science. If our guy gets wide before the LB, they're turning inside to block them.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
So is blocking towards the center an issue? Or is it really in the position of the ball at snap...aka towards the line of scrimmage/qb at snap? Like you can block inwards and forward(to the goal-line), but not inward and backward(towards your own goal-line)? Otherwise the vector is not getting you closer to ball at snap.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Every time they try to "clarify" the rules on this the gap for misinterpretation - already wide enough to let in a Mack truck - gets wider. I wish this would stop and let the refs call the game.

I expect we'll just play the bigger guys out at WR and block as usual.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
A WR making a crackback block towards the middle could, depending on whether inside and forward is illegal.
But it's already a rule you can't block low if you are outside of the tackle box right? I think I get it now, a pulling guards can't cut block back towards the original place of the ball, it would have to be a cut block towards the sideline or straight up field. I might be wrong, someone correct me if so.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Every time they try to "clarify" the rules on this the gap for misinterpretation - already wide enough to let in a Mack truck - gets wider. I wish this would stop and let the refs call the game.

I expect we'll just play the bigger guys out at WR and block as usual.

The rule acc to OP has nothing to do with WR who could not cut crackback already.~