1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

New Rules Change

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by GlennW, Mar 8, 2016.

1. GlennW

GlennW Helluva Engineer

2. bke1984

bke1984 Helluva Engineer

So it prevents going low on a crackback? Ok, I guess our receivers just have to lay the guy out then

3. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

It affects abacks or pulling OL on LBs.

4. B Lifsey

B Lifsey Helluva Engineer

Are a-backs considered "in the tackle box"?

5. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

In our base formation, yes.

B Lifsey likes this.
  6. tech_wreck47

tech_wreck47 Helluva Engineer

Yea, but when we are not in our base formation you know the acc refs are not going to notice it and are going to call a penalty on us for a block to low.

7. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

It's already illegal for players who don't start in tackle box.

tech_wreck47 likes this.
  8. bke1984

bke1984 Helluva Engineer

I don't think it affects pulling linemen. You can't block below the waist towards the initial position of the ball. Pulling linemen are blocking away from the initial position of the ball.

collegeballfan and 33jacket like this.
  9. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

LBs are also moving from inside out. We have used pulling OL out wide this way.

10. bke1984

bke1984 Helluva Engineer

Yes, but the linemen are still pulling away from the original ball position, not towards it. Maybe I'm just missing it. If you have an example on video id be interested in seeing it.

11. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

Abacks are not typically blocking towards the original position of the ball, either. Low crack backs have been illegal for a long time, this is just another way of defining it.

Milwaukee likes this.
  12. tech_wreck47

What exactly do they mean by original position of the ball?

13. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

Where it's snapped from.

14. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

It's not rocket science. If our guy gets wide before the LB, they're turning inside to block them.

15. tech_wreck47

So does that even happen often? Maybe I'm just confused and don't understand the rule completely.

16. Frenchise

Frenchise Helluva Engineer

So is blocking towards the center an issue? Or is it really in the position of the ball at snap...aka towards the line of scrimmage/qb at snap? Like you can block inwards and forward(to the goal-line), but not inward and backward(towards your own goal-line)? Otherwise the vector is not getting you closer to ball at snap.

17. Frenchise

Frenchise Helluva Engineer

A WR making a crackback block towards the middle could, depending on whether inside and forward is illegal.

18. takethepoints

takethepoints Helluva Engineer

Every time they try to "clarify" the rules on this the gap for misinterpretation - already wide enough to let in a Mack truck - gets wider. I wish this would stop and let the refs call the game.

I expect we'll just play the bigger guys out at WR and block as usual.

19. tech_wreck47

But it's already a rule you can't block low if you are outside of the tackle box right? I think I get it now, a pulling guards can't cut block back towards the original place of the ball, it would have to be a cut block towards the sideline or straight up field. I might be wrong, someone correct me if so.

20. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

The rule acc to OP has nothing to do with WR who could not cut crackback already.~