New Rule

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No below the waist blocking 7 yards from center and 5 yards into the secondary.

I am not sure exactly on the zone they are defining, but I don't like it.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Yeah , after watching the replay again, I think this rule is going to get us. I saw atleast 2 other times they could have called the penalty on us. I think its going to make our rocket toss especially challenging.... Just wait till they call us for this against a big time team..

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the rule is still no blocking below the waist outside that area except for straight on. I guess that even though Dennis was right in front of the guy he cut and came straight at him, they flagged him because the guy had moved laterally enough so that Dennis actually got him on the side of the leg with his head behind.

Most of our other cuts on rockets and triples probably won't have that problem

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I swear I thought I saw Robbie make the same block that Dennis got flagged for a few plays later right by the sideline.

What's funny to me is that play that Dennis got flagged for didn't look as dangerous as the below the waist tackle that Charles had on that kick off return. Reminded me of what CPJ said a few years back that if they disallow below the waist blocking then they'll need to disallow below the waist tackling.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the rule is still no blocking below the waist outside that area except for straight on. I guess that even though Dennis was right in front of the guy he cut and came straight at him, they flagged him because the guy had moved laterally enough so that Dennis actually got him on the side of the leg with his head behind.

Most of our other cuts on rockets and triples probably won't have that problem
What concerns me about this rule is that Andrews was flagged even though he came at the guy from the direction the guy was looking (I call what he did coming head on). So if they say he wasn't coming straight ahead because the guy was moving laterally (they claim he came from the side), then what if he came from the lateral direction (ahead of where the guy was moving) but to the side of where the other guy was looking? I think the latter case is what the rule was intended to stop, but it seems like it's a no win situation, and they could call it either way. I know some of this is clarified by the definition of the direction of the play, but I hardly think they will get that right because cutbacks will change the direction all the time.

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
Bigger picture, I would expect at least one of these calls to go against us every game, whether warranted or not. It's a statement call. It's the referees (and by extension the NCAA) telling us they don't like what we do but they can't completely regulate it out of the game. I would also not be surprised if an opposing defensive player gets "injured" on the first series every game, showing how "dangerous" our blocking scheme is. It's the game within the game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I rewatched the play and Andrews even got his head in front of the guy. I now think that that was just a bad call.