New league to help or hurt?

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
It will hurt college football because in the future the players who go to the different universities to play football will be the players will lesser talent. I'm worried that in the next decade or two(because of this proposed league along with lawsuits over brain damage and less parents letting their children play football)College Football will have less popularity and it could go down the tubes.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If it even survives at all (doubt it) the only programs it will hurt will be smaller FCS type schools. If you want to go pro, the college level will have better coaches and way more media/exposure.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So the pros want a Navy prep school? Despite words above, I think this could work, especially if the teams aligned with existing pro squads. A lot of pros never went to college anyhow, though the number of those players is down from the past. Why not give them a chance to see what they can do without going to college to do it?

I think this would be a yuuuuge boost for Tech since most of our players are in it for the education. UNC, Bammer, and some others … well, not so much.

I always looked forward to the player intros for the Raiders in the day. One of their starting DTs was Otis Sistrunk. He always introduced himself as, "Otis Sistrunk. University of Mars." I believed him.

Thanks @Supersizethatorder-mutt

To me it's a non starter, no money folks lined up behind it. Start up costs are HUGE, no television network would touch it as ratings would be abysmal. To the fans that matter it's either college or NFL, the networks learned that lesson with the USFL and similar ilk. Pipe dream is charitable.
Probably correct, but stranger things have happened. Ya nevah know.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The only way something like this works is if the NFL backs it and has developmental league teams for all 32 NFL teams. With only 4 teams I don't see how it can gain much notoriety. The biggest knock is going to be that the kids in this league are not playing against the same level of competition as the kids in the Power-5 NCAA schools.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
The only way something like this works is if the NFL backs it and has developmental league teams for all 32 NFL teams. With only 4 teams I don't see how it can gain much notoriety. The biggest knock is going to be that the kids in this league are not playing against the same level of competition as the kids in the Power-5 NCAA schools.

But there is simply no reason for the NFL to get involved, the have a built in system called the NCAA which cost them ZERO ;)

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Former independent league baseball player here...

It doesn't have to compete with the SEC (yet/now). It just has to compete with Tuesday night MACtion to get some TV love. I don't think this has a good chance of working, but most startups don't.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Yea this is gonna fail.

This.

In my opinion, what a lot of the folks who talk about paying players don't understand is that, despite college football's "stars," the school brands and histories are what actually generate the fan interest, not the individual players. I would rather watch Georgia Tech play Clemson with significantly worse student-athletes than watch better players in a semi-pro league I have no affiliation with compete against each other. It is much bigger than the individual players and athletes. I don't love Justin Thomas because he is a fantastic athlete. I love him because he was a fantastic athlete at Georgia Tech. If he were an Alabama DB (or played for Charleston's semi-pro team), I could care less and almost certainly would not even know is his name. Even if the level of college player decreased two-fold, I would still continue to watch so long as it was generally competitive. No matter the average level of players, there will always be ones that stand out and are "stars." And I will continue to love my Georgia Tech's stars because they play for Georgia Tech.

There is zero chance I would switch any of my time or dollars to a semi-pro league just because I thought the level of play may be a bit higher than NCAAF. I don't watch college football to see the best talent. If that were the case, I would just watch NFL. I watch because I have an affiliation and history with the Georgia Tech program. That is why college football is big business.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don't think this has a chance of succeeding. However, this is how it should be. If a kid does not want to go to college, he should have options. If a kid would rather get paid than play in college, he should have options. I would much rather see colleges compete with students than --pretend they are not professional-- the current so called "amateur" athletes.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
But there is simply no reason for the NFL to get involved, the have a built in system called the NCAA which cost them ZERO ;)

There is some truth to this, but it also hides the downside of depending on the NCAA for development. There are stringent rules limiting practice time for athletes while in college. If the individual teams were to "sponsor" a supplemental development league, it would allow for more player development at a crucial time. It also provides a way to stash projects other than the practice squad. If done correctly, it would have a negligible impact on college football. Some immediate high 4*/5* athletes might "go pro" instead of going to college, but I think you'd see the NFL use this more like a true minor league eventually, and older players using it to make a few more paychecks before hanging up their cleats. This would also benefit the younger players to have that experience helping them grow. Ultimately, the NFL is short sighted in relying solely on the NCAA for player development. They are trusting people they have no control over to find and develop the talent that they depend on for their success. If I were an NFL executive, I'd want to have more control in that area.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to money. If it can make money, then it will succeed. If not, it will fail quickly.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
What happens to the kids that get hurt and never see the NFL or when he league folds in 2 years? They can't play in college and 90% of them won't go and be just a regular student. Unless there's a huge money person behind this I thinks it's a horrible idea. As far as would it affect GT? Probably not. Most of the kids that would jump will be borderline SA's or guys that want to be in the SEC but want paid now.

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
It seems that several may have only skimmed the article. It is not intended to compete against college football or the NFL. It will be played in the summer. And they do have financial backing. This article includes additional information: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/could-...ix-a-nagging-nfl-draft-problem-100508944.html. Make sure to click the "Read More" after the photo.

I don't think it would "hurt college football". It would have a slight impact on the factory schools most, if it catches on. They are much more likely to be recruiting the types of players who have significant hype out of high school and will think they can go make $50K per year while training for their NFL careers. If anything, I think it would help restore competitive balance and return college football to the *student* athlete.

The biggest question mark is a media rights deal to televise nationally. That hasn't happened yet, but the group seems to have the right connections, including former ESPN and Fox Sports Digital executives in the leadership group. I would certainly check it out on a Sunday afternoon in late July when I am having football withdrawals. There is enough interest in football to televise those silly skills competitions, re-run 20 year old classics, and televise high school all-star games. I agree the odds are probably stacked against them, as with any new business venture, but I think there could be enough interest for football fans to tune in during that sports dead period. It will be interesting to see.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I think you'd see a lot of guys who go the JUCO rout jump on this. Though the academic standards for being a college football player are low enough that it's pretty difficult to be THAT bad at school that nobody recruits you. You might see a lot of players like Crowell go this route if they were ever kicked out of school for something. That being said, it'll probably fold. But I like the idea of it.