New in '15: Cottrell brings threatening speed

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
It was on display when they ran out of the locker room onto the field right before the opening KO. But you had to look closely as that was it for the rest of the game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just a crazy idea - to make teams think.
All the fast guys in - and they have been running the TO - 2&2 - split these fast backs wide and wide receivers to sideline . JT shifts to shotgun - hike to JT back flares out for pass - backs go long WR sit on 10 yd out route --- like Baylors Robert griffin III - JT fakes pass and rips a long gain!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Who has the faster 40 times, Snoddy or Cottrell? I'd put my money on Snoddy in a track 40 given his technical / technique experience with the start ......

Speed kills. But lack of blocking gets others killed. I'm trying to restrain my optimism ...... don't other elite teams have equally fast players?

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU won a lot of games in the 90's because they could put speed on the field two and three deep at WR and RB. It wore a defense down and magnified every mistake. It also makes a defense tentative. I think a good case can be made that for the next three years or so, we will be able to put more speed on the field on offense than we ever have. We will win a game or two each year (or avoid a loss) that we would not have previously. Those games will tend to be against teams that were faster than us in the past, Clemson and uga, unless they significantly upgrade their speed, too. Hopefully, it will mean fewer nail biters against the GSU's of the world.

FSU had tremendous speed on defense, too. Maybe some of our speed guys slide over to the D to get on the field.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
FSU won a lot of games in the 90's because they could put speed on the field two and three deep at WR and RB. It wore a defense down and magnified every mistake. It also makes a defense tentative. I think a good case can be made that for the next three years or so, we will be able to put more speed on the field on offense than we ever have. We will win a game or two each year (or avoid a loss) that we would not have previously. Those games will tend to be against teams that were faster than us in the past, Clemson and uga, unless they significantly upgrade their speed, too. Hopefully, it will mean fewer nail biters against the GSU's of the world.

FSU had tremendous speed on defense, too. Maybe some of our speed guys slide over to the D to get on the field.
It was about four years ago, I think, that Clemson was almost amazed at the difference in team speed.They are not saying that now, but it was telling.

Milwaukee

Banned
Wish I could've been a fly on the wall when PJ handed him the offer in his office and then left.

I'm picturing PJ: "Ya'll marinate on that for a bit, I'm gonna go try and get 18 in before the sun goes down."

Nathan & Coaches: "Yea. That just happened."

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
We've always had fast guys from what I can remember. Even some of the lesser known guys could flat out fly. Remember Embry Peeples. He was an extremely fluid runner who could move (Sub 4.4 if I remember right). I think the main difference now though is that instead of just one or two guys with this kind of speed, we have multiple at the various skill positions. It should be an exciting couple of years on the flats though, that's for sure.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Wish I could've been a fly on the wall when PJ handed him the offer in his office and then left.

I'm picturing PJ: "Ya'll marinate on that for a bit, I'm gonna go try and get 18 in before the sun goes down."

Nathan & Coaches: "Yea. That just happened."
I was surprised to read that he and two of his coaches went into the hall to talk about it. Would have expected player and parents.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yessssss. When Tenuta got first pick he always went for the fast guys; that's why Meyers (another 4.3 guy) ended up on D. Also, a run hard pro attack, like Chan favored, didn't really need a burner at QB (tho Reg was no slouch). It sure would be nice if we could get up in speed on D as well. This year's recruits appear to be headed in that direction.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Wide splits on the OL will help even more to create space. This OL can do those easy.
Are you sure about that? It's only GT's football future you are tossing out there. I am just guessing that if Johnson figured wider splits would help he would be figuring a way to do it and still hold blocks for the option. The space would probably just be more room for headhunters to fly through.