New Edge Building Rendering

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see what it looks like from inside the stadium side ...
So would I. A good example of why is Rem Koolhaus's library in Seattle. From the outside it looks - well, weird. From the inside it is absolutely the best designed public library I've ever seen.

Ok, I doubt that Koolhaus is the designer here, but it might turn out to be a huge winner on the inside, despite being sorta "meh" on the outside. Hope so.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It makes sense as it ties into the theme of Tech Tower and the dining hall/dorms on that side of campus.

I in strongly in the "I dig" camp here.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thoughts?

I don’t like this at all. At first I just felt like the vertical elements overwhelmed the design because they are too close together for the scale. But then I’m looking at those vertical elements with the glass and it looks like cages in a zoo or bars on a prison cell. I know I’m not an artsy fartsy architect but I’ve worked with some I would not be surprised if this was their football hating intent. Who is the lead design firm on the project?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t like this at all. At first I just felt like the vertical elements overwhelmed the design because they are too close together for the scale. But then I’m looking at those vertical elements with the glass and it looks like cages in a zoo or bars on a prison cell. I know I’m not an artsy fartsy architect but I’ve worked with some I would not be surprised if this was their football hating intent. Who is the lead design firm on the project?
I suppose this fits the postmodern concept of speaking to the other architectural periods of the surrounding buildings. The bricks risk being a little bit too literal, however, of a reference, in my opinion. It might come together better in person at street level which is how it will actually be viewed.

I don’t hate it but it does nothing to take my breath away or dramatically improve the site.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion of course, but at a high level, the brick with some sandstone (?) accents meshes well with the existing architecture of the dorms across the street, as well as the existing brickwork on the stadium entrances. Much better than the brutalist monotone theme of the current Edge building. Agree that some of the vertical bar look could be improved upon on the north side.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The great thing is that it'll probably change 5 more times before it's built.

Recleb

Georgia Tech Fan
If those terraces are made for assembly occupancy, that would be a sweet spot to pre-game on game day. Good fundraiser.

That naval armory took up some prime real estate, didn’t it.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love for them to tear the North stands down and make it a terraced series of lounge/bars/game watching areas that require a ticket to get into.
oooh, leave the north, it’s newer, replace all the south stands with that and expand that building for more facilities and all too.

Put a second video board on the corner of the Edge building so the folks in the new fancy south suites have a good view of it.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
oooh, leave the north, it’s newer, replace all the south stands with that and expand that building for more facilities and all too.

Put a second video board on the corner of the Edge building so the folks in the new fancy south suites have a good view of it.
I’ve had this exact thought
Make the south an absolute Mecca for premium seating and game experience. Inside bars and real restaurant food stands that pay to exist there (imagine a varsity corner, Taco Mac corner, dare I say Waffle House?) with huge memorials for GT history littering the place. Walk around terrace with a bar on top so people can see the stadium and Atlanta in full view. Raise the Jumbotron a little so it doesn’t get in the way.
I’m excited about the edge building but I’d get way more excited about a south end GT fan mega church.

Plus I’ve always thought the student section should be condensed together. Putting aside the new south end zone building hypothetical, I’m sooo tired of seeing 50 students or less in the south end zone. I’ve always thought the south should be given standard/away fans, and the students should be given 121, 122 and maybe even 123 in return (I think depending on the game).
That way if the student attendance is light, the empty seats will more likely be the upper student sections in the north, instead of on the end zone where our players score. It looks so bad on TV too.

Last edited:

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone with intel on when ground is broken with the edge center?
They’re saying it’ll be completed after the 2025 season. Does that mean it likely won’t be touched for another year?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
First of the year if I remember correctly. Still using the locker room and gotta wait until bowl practices are over with