New Coaches Poll Out

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm a bit different in that I love the idea of preseason polls. I think it's both fun and helpful to have a rough basis for which teams are predicted to be good while highlighting strong, early season match-ups. However, they only work if voters are not afraid to drastically change rankings once the season starts. This is the biggest problem with polls and the reason we have teams like Auburn ranked in the top 20. I don't know a solution (and think many on this board will say it's delaying the release of polls), but wish we could have competent sports writers/coaches who wouldn't use the preseason poll as Gospel.

As for my take... there are only a handful of teams right now who deserve a high ranking based on what they've accomplished thus far. Michigan State, Bama, Ohio State, and Oklahoma all have at least one solid win that would justify a high ranking IMO. After that, teams either haven't been truly tested (FSU, USC, GT, Ole Miss) or have shown worrying flaws (Baylor Defense, UGA QB play) that would normally keep them lower in the polls. However, someone has to be ranked after the upper tier, so at this point I'm fine with it being the teams I just mentioned.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Biggest surprise is Oklahoma stayed the same after beating a ranked team on the road and others moved up after beating nobody.
It makes absolutely no sense. If Tennessee would have won that game, @ home nonetheless... they would have definitely jumped into the top 10. Polls and Rankings are a joke now days. Ever since the ESECPN takeover it's been VERY skewed to make them look so much better.