New Assistant AD for Communications/PR

Yandle was terrible. He was banned from following football by PJ and that was supposed to be his #1 priority. We need as much media support as we can from the state and Yandle blew off anyone he considered small. Flynn should be a huge upgrade.
I wasn't aware that CPJ banned Yandle, but I did know that Yandle blew off those he considered small (so did Buchan), and that was my original point of contention with him.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't really have an opinion , but Tech sports needs all the publicity it can get, good or bad, since we are at the bottom when it comes to any mention of Tech sports on local media outlets.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hey, I just got a great idea for publicity stunt to generate some buzz. When fall camp begins, drop a dozen or so loaded bee hives on mutt football practice from bee shaped drone helicopters.

41mgCaFMnxL.jpg

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Yandle was terrible. He was banned from following football by PJ and that was supposed to be his #1 priority. We need as much media support as we can from the state and Yandle blew off anyone he considered small. Flynn should be a huge upgrade.

Banned from following football? What led to that and how did that manifest itself?
PJ still has a pretty good relationship with a lot of the media in south Georgia from his Georgia Southern days. Then again, he also had more time on his hands then too so he could spend time chatting/BSing with them.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Banned from following football? What led to that and how did that manifest itself?
PJ still has a pretty good relationship with a lot of the media in south Georgia from his Georgia Southern days. Then again, he also had more time on his hands then too so he could spend time chatting/BSing with them.
I don't know, but I do remember one press conference or after practice Q&A where a reporter asked a question about a player's status and CPJ was not happy about it and said something like "Yandle's your man isn't he? Go ask him."

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I don't know, but I do remember one press conference or after practice Q&A where a reporter asked a question about a player's status and CPJ was not happy about it and said something like "Yandle's your man isn't he? Go ask him."

I think that was directed at Ken S, if I recall correctly.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
When CPJ leaves GT (for whatever reason - retired / fired / new job) hang on to your rat caps. It is going to be explosive in some fashion or another.

And there is no telling where he will aim the sights.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
apropos of absolutely nothing, and giving away my status as an official OF, I simply do not understand social media and/or the desire to discuss any aspect of one's personal or professional life publicly on that type of forum. I don't think he would be a person that I (or most people of my age) would be interested in hiring based on several of the comments above.I absolutely don't see how a younger person doesn't understand that either. Participating on these types of forums is the extent of my ventures into any aspect of social media (although I am not sure that this meets the criteria or not). OF rant over.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
apropos of absolutely nothing, and giving away my status as an official OF, I simply do not understand social media and/or the desire to discuss any aspect of one's personal or professional life publicly on that type of forum. I don't think he would be a person that I (or most people of my age) would be interested in hiring based on several of the comments above.I absolutely don't see how a younger person doesn't understand that either. Participating on these types of forums is the extent of my ventures into any aspect of social media (although I am not sure that this meets the criteria or not). OF rant over.
Many young people think having a cyber soapbox makes them important or more significant.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
When CPJ leaves GT (for whatever reason - retired / fired / new job) hang on to your rat caps. It is going to be explosive in some fashion or another.

And there is no telling where he will aim the sights.

It's interesting when anyone gets fired or leaves. All of a sudden, you start hearing things people kept under the rug.

CPJ is entering his 9th season on the Flats. His tenure as our HC will be the longest tenure since Bobby Dodd. Think about that. Gotta think a lot of people will have interesting stories to tell after CPJ is gone.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
you guys should see how poorly GT treats the media when compared to UGA....its off the hook bad, defensive and it needs to change.

GT acts like everyone is out to get them. And in turn are treated that way

UGA has almost a limitless open door policy gamedays...they reserve huge space and cater each football game with nice food...just for the media. They gain attendance and perceptions for the media by literally catering to them. Does that mean they have limitless access to the program, coaches and records. No of course not. They are just like GT in this way. But what UGA does that GT doesn't is go out of their way to make them feel way more welcome while at games, on campus, getting credentials etc.

GT has a big issue and it needs to change. GT needs to create a more positive environment for media to flourish. Putting a swarm sign on 75 and a twitter account is a joke. Thats not good marketing. Marketing has to be as much groundworks as it is utilizing the media etc...we are just not good at it...

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
you guys should see how poorly GT treats the media when compared to UGA....its off the hook bad, defensive and it needs to change.

UGA has almost a limitless open door policy gamedays...they reserve huge space and cater each football game with nice food...just for the media. They gain attendance and perceptions for the media by literally catering to them. Does that mean they have limitless access to the program, coaches and records. No of course not. They are just like GT in this way. But what UGA does that GT doesn't is go out of their way to make them feel way more welcome while at games, on campus, getting credentials etc.

GT has a big issue and it needs to change. GT needs to create a more positive environment for media to flourish. Putting a swarm sign on 75 and a twitter account is a joke. Thats not good marketing. Marketing has to be as much groundworks as it is utilizing the media etc...we are just not good at it...
Not to seem rude but you seem to always have such matter of fact knowledge. Do you have actual reasons for all of this black and white or are you just assuming things?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

You and me both, buddy. I simply cannot imagine a scenario in which me putting my immediate thoughts on a situation would be good for my career, on the whole, and when hiring, if I see that a prospective employee likes to hang his dirty laundry on the front porch? Thanks but no thanks.

I am HUGELY relieved I missed twitter, because I was a blithering idiot as a young man (many would argue I still am :)), and would have, without question, hurt my career.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Didn't we just fire our marketing dude and hire a replacement? That sounds like an effort is being made in that direction.

Also, it's much easier to "cater" to the media when you are the state flagship University that, by default, owns a 90% share of the state's fanbase, the very people the media is so desperate to attract and have a humongous discretionary budget.