New ACC Schedule Format Reveal

Do you wish that Clemson was kept as a protected annual rival?

• Yes

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • No

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 46 33.6%

• Total voters

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't disagreeing with you. I just don't get all the opinions which apparently are contrary to mine:

a. Brent Key needs a "training wheels" schedule because he will never win more than 7 games (my number based on comments) without it. If we had 4 crap games we would sometimes win 8 or 9
* I don't think he will in a year or two and 9 wins against crap (see 2016) with 3 crap SEC wins still leaves you on the outside looking in.

b. Bowl game of any type, Shreveport or El Paso or SMU, etc every year is better than Orange Bowl one year, no bowl the next, then Gator Bowl, then no bowl, etc
* I've been to SF, San Jose, Boise, El Paso, Birmingham, etc and frankly outside of extra practice time for the players it sucks
* Yeah PJ Daniels set a record, CPJ wore a funny sombrero, skiing in Idaho is cool, Carmel and Pebble Beach are nice.
I enjoyed the Orange Bowl WAY more than all of those combined

c. Playing gimme games which have backfired on us lately and not only have not enhanced recruiting but caused our program to be ridiculed is better than lining up against Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina which would have some regional if not national interest because we may get beaten badly, but who know may result in getting significant good coverage if we upset
* We just knocked off UNC and first comment out of people's mouths is how did you lose to BC and BG at home no less.

d. Gettting gimme games with reduced revenue plus playing teams to come to GT ($2M gate at 25k fans minus $500k fee- $1.5M net) is better than getting 45-50k fans with a $4M gate. It's better for concessions, parking, etc too. How does any of this help anything?
* We need money. Sc St, NI, Citadel do not help at all.

There's more relevant arguments but it appears some can't even get to 1st order efefcts, much less 2nd or 3rd or 4th, etc. Just short sighted, defeatist, etc. We're supposed to be a problem solving school & our strategy is to dumb down. My God, how out of step with who we're supposed to be. Key gets it thankfully, so does Batt and Cabrera.

If we don't want to play P5 football, let's drop down to the Patriot league or Ivy or something. You can't become a successful, relevant program by ducking competition. Again, thank God our leaders are not quitting like many suggest. They're attacking the many challenges head on like GT Men are supposed to do.
Again, your post is full of strawman arguments that no one besides yourself is making (a. & b.).

Your point c. is valid with respect to the unexpected loss to BG, but I don't think anyone, even yourself, believes that is a normal expected outcome for future seasons.

Your point d. is somewhat valid in principle, but aside from uga when was the last time we got 45-50k fans at BDS? Not happening with 3-5 win seasons. A counter to your attendance $ point is that more wins = more fan engagement and increased attendance for all games. I think you would agree that 3-3-3-5 win seasons over the last four years has contributed to our ticket sales slump, not to mention GTAA donations.

What some of us are suggesting is to substitute a lesser program (could still be P5, doesn't need to be Sisters of the Poor) for the slot where we are scheduling the Ole Miss type of games. We already are locked into 8 ACC games plus uga, and Notre Dame every few years, so your comments about scheduling 4 cupcakes ring hollow. We've had one of the toughest schedules in P5 several years running while our peer (and lesser) schools are going to bowls. Your over-the-top reactions that many are suggesting quitting or that we should drop down a league is tiring, disingenuous, and unbecoming of a tech fan as I know you are.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
At this point it doesn’t matter. JBatt made his decision. Cabrera hired him away from Bama to rebuild an AA in shambles. That is what he is doing and I think it’s a breath of fresh air and exactly what our AA has needed for decades. Those who oppose him are the usual characters who have run our programs into the ground by meddling and backstabbing at every turn. JBatt is battling this mindset at every turn. The good thing is JBatt has the backing of Cabrera and as a new mind to GT isn’t beholden to anyone. I hope he completely transforms the AA before he takes the next job.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I like the 2014 win in the Orange Bowl so much more than the win against FSU the following year. But the FSU win gets talked about so much more.
I, for one, would like to see us get to the point where we're not coining names for our wins with the word "Miracle" in them.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I, for one, would like to see us get to the point where we're not coining names for our wins with the word "Miracle" in them.

Its not about the win... its about the how you win. Even undefeated teams have those for wins. "Choke at Doak" for instance is a miraculous collapse fro two 9-1 teams where florida squadered a 31 point lead and FSU managed to tie it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
At this point it doesn’t matter. JBatt made his decision. Cabrera hired him away from Bama to rebuild an AA in shambles. That is what he is doing and I think it’s a breath of fresh air and exactly what our AA has needed for decades. Those who oppose him are the usual characters who have run our programs into the ground by meddling and backstabbing at every turn. JBatt is battling this mindset at every turn. The good thing is JBatt has the backing of Cabrera and as a new mind to GT isn’t beholden to anyone. I hope he completely transforms the AA before he takes the next job.
Who's opposing him? I think he's done a great job. I just don't agree with this one decision to drop Clemson from our perennial schedule.
So many arguments get turned into black/white, all or nothing. That's not usually the case, and it isn't the case here.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't disagreeing with you. I just don't get all the opinions which apparently are contrary to mine:

a. Brent Key needs a "training wheels" schedule because he will never win more than 7 games (my number based on comments) without it. If we had 4 crap games we would sometimes win 8 or 9
* I don't think he will in a year or two and 9 wins against crap (see 2016) with 3 crap SEC wins still leaves you on the outside looking in.

b. Bowl game of any type, Shreveport or El Paso or SMU, etc every year is better than Orange Bowl one year, no bowl the next, then Gator Bowl, then no bowl, etc
* I've been to SF, San Jose, Boise, El Paso, Birmingham, etc and frankly outside of extra practice time for the players it sucks
* Yeah PJ Daniels set a record, CPJ wore a funny sombrero, skiing in Idaho is cool, Carmel and Pebble Beach are nice.
I enjoyed the Orange Bowl WAY more than all of those combined

c. Playing gimme games which have backfired on us lately and not only have not enhanced recruiting but caused our program to be ridiculed is better than lining up against Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina which would have some regional if not national interest because we may get beaten badly, but who know may result in getting significant good coverage if we upset
* We just knocked off UNC and first comment out of people's mouths is how did you lose to BC and BG at home no less.

d. Gettting gimme games with reduced revenue plus playing teams to come to GT ($2M gate at 25k fans minus $500k fee- $1.5M net) is better than getting 45-50k fans with a $4M gate. It's better for concessions, parking, etc too. How does any of this help anything?
* We need money. Sc St, NI, Citadel do not help at all.

There's more relevant arguments but it appears some can't even get to 1st order efefcts, much less 2nd or 3rd or 4th, etc. Just short sighted, defeatist, etc. We're supposed to be a problem solving school & our strategy is to dumb down. My God, how out of step with who we're supposed to be. Key gets it thankfully, so does Batt and Cabrera.

If we don't want to play P5 football, let's drop down to the Patriot league or Ivy or something. You can't become a successful, relevant program by ducking competition. Again, thank God our leaders are not quitting like many suggest. They're attacking the many challenges head on like GT Men are supposed to do.
Rubbish.

It's not about "training wheels" for Key. It's about getting more players of higher caliber into the program for multiple years in a row. Lots more. Kids want to win. LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade wanted to win when they went to Miami, and they were adults. People want to play where they can win. Gibbs and Simms come to mind.

Glad you enjoyed your trips. But your junkets aren't actually relevant or important to building a winning program. Winning consistently is.

We lost some gimme games because we don't have the right talent and the right depth, yet. I think we will because I think Key has built a good staff. But not if we keep losing to Big A** U every other week. That just makes recruits want to play for the other side!

Again, going 9-3 (meaning we're 9-2 going into Hate Week) will pack BDS far more than going 6-6 or 7-5. When it's FUN again, people will want to be in on it. It's hard to get people to invest emotionally or financially in a losing program.

NO ONE is saying we shouldn't play P5 football. And no one is saying or even implying that we have to play Podunk State every week, either. In case you haven't been paying attention, we've played a couple of ranked conference opponents this year.

What IS being said is that we have to rebuild - as quickly as possible, of course - but that is not going to happen if we're getting whipped by three touchdowns week in and week out by programs that - at present - have us outclassed. So, no, we don't need to play Ole Miss and no, we don't need to play Georgia every year, either. Swap them out for Tulane or James Madison or some other team hovering just off the Top 25 list. Why not go in-state with Georgia State and Georgia Southern? We could even re-ignite the Auburn rivalry when we're ready.

You want to play in the Orange Bowl again? Me, too. First, we have to get to Shreveport.

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This entire conversation is pointless. It isn't as easy to schedule P5 opponents and make them easy or hard games.
  1. The OOC games are set years in advance.
  2. You can schedule Vanderbilt and expect an easy game, but in 2012 and 2013, they were 9-4. Alabama is on the schedule in 2030. Saban will most likely not be there by then. It is possible they will not be a dominant team when we finally play them. (and in reference to item #1, this game was scheduled something like 20 years ago and then rescheduled. It is difficult to schedule P5 games.)
  3. Except for a couple of FCS games, GT's OOC schedule is set until 2028. Nothing that can be done for scheduling at this moment will have any impact on the Key transition nor getting fans back at BDS in the immediate future. The closest update to the schedule would be in 2028, which means it wouldn't have an impact on more fans at BDS until at least 2029.
The question isn't where are we now, and how can we build things up. The question is where do we want to be in five years (2028). Do we want to be competing for championships, or do we want to be sure that we will qualify for a bowl game. The 12 team playoff with guaranteed entry for six conference champions might change some of the ideas about scheduling for many teams. If a P5 (now P4) team wins the conference, they will be all but guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. You can schedule some tough out of conference games, lose one and still make the playoffs with a 7-1 conference record. It could change things like high schools where good teams schedule other good teams out of region to get ready for the playoffs. Winning or losing those out of region games doesn't matter because it doesn't have any impact on region standings. When those good teams get to the playoffs, they have experience playing against other good teams.

With the 12 team playoffs, you want to be able to be an at-large participant if you don't win the conference. However, do you become a highly regarded team to the committee by winning against weak teams or by playing and beating good teams. This year, the mutts are rated high even though they haven't had a difficult schedule as of yet. (and the season is almost over) However, even if GT were undefeated at this point even with a difficult schedule we would probably be around #10 and not projected in the playoffs at this point. The subjective nature of the rankings is ridiculous.

In a nutshell, you can't change the schedule until 2028. Do you schedule teams assuming that GT will need help to get to a bowl, or do you schedule teams assuming GT needs strength of schedule in their wins to be selected for the playoffs. No matter what you decide, the teams that you pick to match that criteria probably won't be the same teams that GT plays in 5 years, and might not be weak or might not help strength of schedule. It is all an academic question that can't be affected in the immediate future, and can't be reliably predicted for 5 years from now.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Guys, it's real simple. If we're a Top10 team, we should have a Top10 hardest schedule. If we're a Top 50 team, maybe we should be shooting for Top35-40 hardest schedule until we're at a point where we can compete with every team on our schedule. Right now, the #1 [sic] team in the Nation probably has a Top40 schedule. Let's get real.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Again, your post is full of strawman arguments that no one besides yourself is making (a. & b.).

Your point c. is valid with respect to the unexpected loss to BG, but I don't think anyone, even yourself, believes that is a normal expected outcome for future seasons.

Your point d. is somewhat valid in principle, but aside from uga when was the last time we got 45-50k fans at BDS? Not happening with 3-5 win seasons. A counter to your attendance $ point is that more wins = more fan engagement and increased attendance for all games. I think you would agree that 3-3-3-5 win seasons over the last four years has contributed to our ticket sales slump, not to mention GTAA donations.

What some of us are suggesting is to substitute a lesser program (could still be P5, doesn't need to be Sisters of the Poor) for the slot where we are scheduling the Ole Miss type of games. We already are locked into 8 ACC games plus uga, and Notre Dame every few years, so your comments about scheduling 4 cupcakes ring hollow. We've had one of the toughest schedules in P5 several years running while our peer (and lesser) schools are going to bowls. Your over-the-top reactions that many are suggesting quitting or that we should drop down a league is tiring, disingenuous, and unbecoming of a tech fan as I know you are.
Maybe my arguments are too passionate or over the top, but to attract top talent we're going to have to have some luck. recruit diamonds in the rough like we used to, have them develop and in today's environment have the money to retain them. I think Key and staff will do better now that C is gone because we'll stop taking 4 star players that will never see the field, we'll recruit more lower rated players (OL and DL fits in the category) and less WR/DBs (higher rated players), so our overall ranking will go down but our quality will go up

I think everyone agrees money is our #1 issue. It prevents hiring top coaches, investing in facilities, growing the staff to competitive sizes. How do you get more money? I know seeing Bobby Dodd packed with opposing fans is tough to stomach, but to me it's far better than looking at vast expanses of empty seats because nobody has interest in the game. Bobby Dodd felt like it had life in it during the unc game the first time since 2016, that's 7 years ago. The MBenz games are money makers, hate they're off campus, but that I'm told puts $$ in our coffers. We desperately need butt in seats at Bobby Dodd. Also, bringing recruits to an atmosphere lacking to me is not effective.

We've got more challenges than we can address now, but solving the $$ issue needs to be #1. Without that, all the wanting in the world is still going to keep us mired in the muck. Just don't see that path unless we go back to the types of schedule we had back in the day and get the campus back alive on game days.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
RankTeamW-LSoS Rank
1Ohio State8-035
2Georgia8-076
3Michigan8-072
4Florida State8-032
5Washington8-07
6Oregon7-129
7Texas7-116
8Alabama7-14
9Oklahoma7-130
10Ole Miss7-125
11Penn State7-130
12Missouri7-152
13Louisville7-158
14LSU6-27
15Notre Dame7-244
16Oregon State6-248
17Tennessee6-215
18Utah6-23
19UCLA6-261
20USC7-21
21Kansas6-233
22Oklahoma State6-236
23Kansas State6-221
24Tulane7-198
25Air Force8-0128
Average38.44
NRGeorgia Tech4-442

From the data above, we can see that we play a tougher schedule than many teams with better records and rankings. We knew that already, so let's resort the data:

RankTeamW-LSoS Rank
1Ohio State8-035
2Georgia8-076
3Michigan8-072
4Florida State8-032
5Washington8-07
25Air Force8-0128
6Oregon7-129
7Texas7-116
8Alabama7-14
9Oklahoma7-130
10Ole Miss7-125
11Penn State7-130
12Missouri7-152
13Louisville7-158
24Tulane7-198
15Notre Dame7-244
20USC7-21
14LSU6-27
16Oregon State6-248
17Tennessee6-215
18Utah6-23
19UCLA6-261
21Kansas6-233
22Oklahoma State6-236
23Kansas State6-221

From this data, we can see that with a few exceptions (Washington, Alabama, etc.), teams with better records and higher rankings have weaker schedules.

In some ways, this makes sense. For example, while WE have to play Georgia, they get to play us as a scrimmage game preparing for the SEC CG. Thus, our schedule is tougher and theirs is weaker as a result of the same game.

I also think it is highly relevant that SEC and Big 10 teams play tougher schedules simply by virtue of living in tougher neighborhoods than the ACC. But then, they also have good TV contracts, big stadiums, big money, etc., etc. Advantages Tech does not have (and, I fear, never will as long as we remain in the ACC).

FWIW, I didn't pay close attention to my statistics class four decades ago, so if someone else wants to draw better conclusions from this, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Finally, I think this conversation comes down to what you want as a fan.

Some folks seem to be saying that the best way to rebuild our program is to play a tough schedule. That way, we can console ourselves with the fact that while we lost, at least we lost to a good team. (I honestly can't imagine recruits sitting in the stands thinking, "Boy, I want in on that.") To them I say, "Enjoy your off-season...it will be a long one."

Others seem to be suggesting (pleading?) that we schedule a more reasonable OOC schedule as quickly as possible. Yeah, yeah...schedules are booked years in advance. Whatever. Fix it as fast as possible. Get out of a contract if we can. I think that still happens with OOC games, doesn't it?

Five years from now, CBK will have the team in better shape than it is in today. Hell, next year will be better.

But I also hope that five years from now we aren't playing Ole Miss as a "warm up" game in September. Or ending the season with another loss.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
I think we have to realize that nobody cares about GT more than the people on this board. I find it very plausible that no school asked to have us as their rival as well & JBatt hearing that said "let's prioritize the easiest schedule".

At the end of the day, the only way people both inside the state of GA and the broader ACC will care about GT football is by winning. At the end of the year there are no moral victories on what our record is. Nobody in Georgia will become a sidewalk fan seeing us go 5-7, saying "oh well 2 of those 7 losses were super hard teams!!"

Just win baby. That's the only way GT remains relevant for the future. Moral victories with a tough "heritage schedule" have us playing State and Southern in a decade. I would rather have Clemson and VT every 2-3 years and be relevant.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Maybe my arguments are too passionate or over the top, but to attract top talent we're going to have to have some luck. recruit diamonds in the rough like we used to, have them develop and in today's environment have the money to retain them. I think Key and staff will do better now that C is gone because we'll stop taking 4 star players that will never see the field, we'll recruit more lower rated players (OL and DL fits in the category) and less WR/DBs (higher rated players), so our overall ranking will go down but our quality will go up

I think everyone agrees money is our #1 issue. It prevents hiring top coaches, investing in facilities, growing the staff to competitive sizes. How do you get more money? I know seeing Bobby Dodd packed with opposing fans is tough to stomach, but to me it's far better than looking at vast expanses of empty seats because nobody has interest in the game. Bobby Dodd felt like it had life in it during the unc game the first time since 2016, that's 7 years ago. The MBenz games are money makers, hate they're off campus, but that I'm told puts $$ in our coffers. We desperately need butt in seats at Bobby Dodd. Also, bringing recruits to an atmosphere lacking to me is not effective.

We've got more challenges than we can address now, but solving the $$ issue needs to be #1. Without that, all the wanting in the world is still going to keep us mired in the muck. Just don't see that path unless we go back to the types of schedule we had back in the day and get the campus back alive on game days.
I generally agree. I have heard several comments from players and coaches on how the energetic crowd got them juiced last Saturday. We like to comment on the loudest games we've been at in BDS. Nobody cares to remember the quietest. How do loud games happen? People showing up for good teams that we can play competitively with. The two other big wins this season were @Wake and @Miami, UNC was the biggest game so far at BDS and the crowd was rocking.

The point: Get BDS rocking, a true home field advantage, and this team can win. How do we get BDS rocking? By scheduling good, competitive teams, not patsies.

If we do that, we'll win some and we'll lose some, but the place will be humming. In my time at Tech, at BDS we were 1-1 vs. ND, 1-1 vs UGA, 1-1 vs. Auburn, 1-1-1 vs. Clem, 1-1 vs. USCe. Those were the five biggest games that we played every season, and we were 5-5-1 against them at BDS. That was fun football in front of big crowds, and we won our share, too. My vote is to schedule good, competitive games that create interest.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

This is a reasonable position to take on scheduling preferences.

But to quote Haynes, at the end of the day, @RonJohn's point is also the best counter to my proposed easier OOC schedule to get us bowl-eligible. If we are still struggling with 5-7 seasons 5 years from now, we've got bigger problems than scheduling. Facing the prospect of back-to-back 5-win seasons was a trigger for wishing we had just one easier OOC game, but it's not going to happen in the short term. The new, more random ACC schedule could help though.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This is a reasonable position to take on scheduling preferences.

But to quote Haynes, at the end of the day, @RonJohn's point is also the best counter to my proposed easier OOC schedule to get us bowl-eligible. If we are still struggling with 5-7 seasons 5 years from now, we've got bigger problems than scheduling. Facing the prospect of back-to-back 5-win seasons was a trigger for wishing we had just one easier OOC game, but it's not going to happen in the short term. The new, more random ACC schedule could help though.
We don't need easier, we just need to come out and take the BGSU game and we're virtually there. If we end up at 5-7, it's not because our schedule's too tough, it's because we blew that 6th game that we should have won.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
RankTeamW-LSoS Rank
1Ohio State8-035
2Georgia8-076
3Michigan8-072
4Florida State8-032
5Washington8-07
6Oregon7-129
7Texas7-116
8Alabama7-14
9Oklahoma7-130
10Ole Miss7-125
11Penn State7-130
12Missouri7-152
13Louisville7-158
14LSU6-27
15Notre Dame7-244
16Oregon State6-248
17Tennessee6-215
18Utah6-23
19UCLA6-261
20USC7-21
21Kansas6-233
22Oklahoma State6-236
23Kansas State6-221
24Tulane7-198
25Air Force8-0128
Average38.44
NRGeorgia Tech4-442

From the data above, we can see that we play a tougher schedule than many teams with better records and rankings. We knew that already, so let's resort the data:

RankTeamW-LSoS Rank
1Ohio State8-035
2Georgia8-076
3Michigan8-072
4Florida State8-032
5Washington8-07
25Air Force8-0128
6Oregon7-129
7Texas7-116
8Alabama7-14
9Oklahoma7-130
10Ole Miss7-125
11Penn State7-130
12Missouri7-152
13Louisville7-158
24Tulane7-198
15Notre Dame7-244
20USC7-21
14LSU6-27
16Oregon State6-248
17Tennessee6-215
18Utah6-23
19UCLA6-261
21Kansas6-233
22Oklahoma State6-236
23Kansas State6-221

From this data, we can see that with a few exceptions (Washington, Alabama, etc.), teams with better records and higher rankings have weaker schedules.

In some ways, this makes sense. For example, while WE have to play Georgia, they get to play us as a scrimmage game preparing for the SEC CG. Thus, our schedule is tougher and theirs is weaker as a result of the same game.

I also think it is highly relevant that SEC and Big 10 teams play tougher schedules simply by virtue of living in tougher neighborhoods than the ACC. But then, they also have good TV contracts, big stadiums, big money, etc., etc. Advantages Tech does not have (and, I fear, never will as long as we remain in the ACC).

FWIW, I didn't pay close attention to my statistics class four decades ago, so if someone else wants to draw better conclusions from this, I'm all ears.
Good work.

The problem (beating the bloody pulp of dead horse remains here) is that the SEC claims to be a much tougher neighborhood than they actually are. If the ACC did a tournament with the SEC this year I have no doubt that the ACC would win more games.

Alabama’s schedule is ranked considerably higher than uga’s even though they are in the same conference. I suspect it is Alabama’s out of conference games that make up a big part of the difference. The PAC remains an unknown to me. They are primarily beating each other so it’s sports writers who have determined that their competition is hard.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
SO UGA and Michigan have both played horribly weak schedules so far - far worse than any other team in the CFP not named Tulane (SOS 98) or Air Force (SOS 128). The closest other teams are 6-2 UCLA (SOS 61), 7-1 Louisville (SOS 58), and 7-1 Missouri (SOS 52), ranked at 19, 13, and 12 in the current CFP.

We are a couple of plays and a decent game against BGSU from being 6-2 ourselves.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
…..UNC was the biggest game so far at BDS and the crowd was rocking.

The point: Get BDS rocking, a true home field advantage, and this team can win. How do we get BDS rocking? By scheduling good, competitive teams, not patsies.
I love Bobby Dodd when it was like Saturday night. Hard to pick a better place for a football game.

I’m obviously just an old guy screaming at the clouds, but important games (this was GT important) with fan excitement are what’s gonna bring the crowds back. First time I’ve felt good about GT football in a long while and you could sense that night there’s a chance we’ll make it back.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I love Bobby Dodd when it was like Saturday night. Hard to pick a better place for a football game.

I’m obviously just an old guy screaming at the clouds, but important games (this was GT important) with fan excitement are what’s gonna bring the crowds back. First time I’ve felt good about GT football in a long while and you could sense that night there’s a chance we’ll make it back.
Great post! Totally agree.