New ACC Schedule Format Reveal

Do you wish that Clemson was kept as a protected annual rival?

• Yes

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • No

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 46 33.6%

• Total voters

colton

Georgia Tech Fan
What the hell? Every other school in the conference (save Louisville) has protected matchups except for us. Former BE schools all play each other, Tobacco Rd all play each other, West Coast all play each other, FSU plays UM and clemson, leaving GT with nothing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Duke and Syracuse show up on our schedule 4 out of the next 5 years.

First trip out West is in 2026...the same year the World Cup is in the US.

BTW, for those that wanted to stay in the ACC (instead of B1G) for rivalry reasons, just goes to show you that $$$$ trumps conference rivalries.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What the hell? Every other school in the conference (save Louisville) has protected matchups except for us. Former BE schools all play each other, Tobacco Rd all play each other, West Coast all play each other, FSU plays UM and clemson, leaving GT with nothing.
I'd rather not have a protected matchup. We've been paired with Clemson through all their power years and suffered for it. I'd rather it be arbitrary.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m excited to get to play Cal and Stanford! Don’t get me wrong I love our southern rivals but it’s going to be nice to add some west coast teams on a regular basis!

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m excited to get to play Cal and Stanford! Don’t get me wrong I love our southern rivals but it’s going to be nice to add some west coast teams on a regular basis!
Other than UGA, who are our southern rivals? Rivals are a team you play every year IMO.

colton

Georgia Tech Fan
Hope you have a lot of patience! We don't play a game with any of the newcomers until 2026.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
What is the "benefit" of having a protected matchup? This forum has complained non-stop about how we're screwed getting Clemson every year. Now ... that's no longer the case.

The deal is... the ACC views Ga Tech as such a great draw, they need us distributed to the max across the conference over time (tic).

Seriously... I see nothing wrong from a win/loss perspective with no permanent matchup. We play 8 ACC teams every year just like everyone else. We need to just beat those teams.

colton

Georgia Tech Fan
Kinda sad about losing the Clemson yearly game. Though, it definitely makes it easier imagining leaving a conference when we zero yearly conference matchups.

Sad I'll have to wait until 2028 to see Cal play GT in Berkeley too
I was never in favor of conference realignment, but I can agree with you here. Going (back) to the SEC would restore our REALLY old rivalries, protect our biggest one, and secure us financially for... ever, probably.

colton

Georgia Tech Fan
What is the "benefit" of having a protected matchup? This forum has complained non-stop about how we're screwed getting Clemson every year. Now ... that's no longer the case.

The deal is... the ACC views Ga Tech as such a great draw, they need us distributed to the max across the conference over time (tic).

Seriously... I see nothing wrong from a win/loss perspective with no permanent matchup. We play 8 ACC teams every year just like everyone else. We need to just beat those teams.
It's the principle. The ACC is saying that Georgia Tech is not important enough of a program to keep their biggest conference rival. This year especially, Clemson is trending down, while we're trending up. It's the same with Georgia, we play them every year because we have to, and even though we don't win all the time, you can't just take away that game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Honestly, that may not be far from the truth. Georgia/Atlanta is talent rich. I'm sure a bunch of schools requested to play GT in Atlanta due to our proximity in talent, and ease of travel to Atlanta.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I freaking love this. It takes winning to build a program and losing Clemson and gaining the leftovers will get us back to 7-9 wins much quicker. JBatt gets a 10 out of 10 for realizing nobody cares about a tough team who is 6-6 or 5-7. Winning will bring better bowl games and more fans into the stadium which will lead to better recruiting classes. How many years did we go into ACC play at a 1 game deficit to the Hokies because we had Clemson as our yearly crossover. We would have won several more Coastals if they had Clemson and we had Wake. This is fantastic for GT football.